1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

US-Citizen IMG and Step 2 CK Scheduling

Discussion in 'Neurology' started by medsRus, Dec 28, 2008.

1. medsRus

2+ Year Member

If I will be a US-Citizen IMG who did well on Step 1 (>240), should I take the Step 2 CK prior to September 1st of the year that I am applying for the match? Or should I delay taking it and feel more confident with the material?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sleepingneuro

sleepingneuro de oppresso liber
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I took my in June as I wanted my scores on ERAS. I aced both steps and have been praised on all my interviews

Dont take it if you are not ready. I know of a kid who also scored in the 240 range in step 1....waited until nov to take step 2 and scored <200. I guess he has some explaining to do. He, as I, are US img.

4. Amos

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    For US grads few programs require step II even before matching, though more are starting to want it. I have yet to take take step II and got all the interviews I was hoping for.

I would be careful about taking Step II prior to interviews unless you are sure you will have the time to put up a high score.

Your scores are used for screening, so why hurt yourself with a potential low score?

The trick, as you point out in your OP, is in regards to a potential different standard for IMGs.

#3 Amos, Dec 30, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  5. Amos

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    One more thing.

Not that this is by any means required, but I have heard of some IMGs putting up some crazy high step II scores (270+). They just sit down and study their brains out for several months.

In other words, it is possible with extensive study to do really, really well on USMLE, especially step II.