1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

US citizen with Foreign BS (non US/canada)needs advice

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by budhia, Jul 31, 2006.

1. budhia

budhia Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I wanted to be a doctor all my life. Unfortunately I lacked the confidence to make the necessary scarifices to pursue my dream. I am now 35yrs old married with 2 kids. I am now ready to accept out loud that I want to be a doctor and it was all I ever wanted to be. I will do everything in my power to pursue this dream. I am willing to take the risk I may never realize this dream BUT I not want to fail simply because I did not try.

A little about my background:
    I graduated with BS in 1992 from a foreign university (not Canada) with Biology major, Chemistry minor. I graduated with MS in Biology in 1996 from US university. (28 didactic credit hours). Did Cell, Molecular Immunology research in both academic and industry labs for 5 years. Completed General Physics I and II (lecture and lab) in 1997-1998. Completed the coursework for PhD Immunology in 2005 (32 didactic credit hours ).

I know some schools require foreign grads to complete 90 credits from US schools (they didn't specify undergrad or grad). Does anyone whether schools would consider grad credits for some undergrad prerequisites. I think it would be a waste of time and money for me to take the first two general undergrad Biology prerequisites.

I would like to spend the next two years taking some UG classes. Apart from Eng, Math, Chem, OChem. What should I take? Do I need 90 UG credits? Also right now I am a stay at home mom but I can have a research position starting next month. Should I work and take classes or should I just take full time classes and try to get as many classes done in the next two years. I would really like to take MCAT Apr 08 and be accepted for Fall 09.

Any other advice that will help me get on the right path will be highly appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JamesG

JamesG New Member

Medical Student
    Hi there.
    Sounds like you're in a great position to apply for med school. I am 30 years old, and am just starting med school. My first degree was from the UK, so I had to go back and take 90 credit hours at a US university. I took the MCAT quickly (after 1 year) and applied after my first year. But you're in a different (and much better) situation. Firstly, I'm almost 100% sure that grad credits are fine. That means you have 60 already. You've done physics, your biology credits should be way better than fine, so you only need chem, org, and math and english to be sure. Some schools require social sciences though. See if foreign credits work for math and english or social sciences - I was exempted from a couple of schools because my first degree was in literature.

So I suggest that you first get in touch with a few schools to double check. In my experience they don't mind getting phone calls or emails if your case is complicated (like mine was). But check their websites first for specific prerequisites first. You should also check that there's no time limit for when you took the courses. I think the time limit applies only in that they need a recent MCAT, not recent coursework, but you should definitely check. And it sounds like you could take chem1 and org1 at the same time (I did) because of your background (you should find chem1 really easy), and the same thing with chem2 and org2 so be done by April. It depends if you're in a rush or not. But heading for the April MCAT with your background sounds feasible. August still leaves with a shot for applying for the 08 year. You could take 30 credits this coming year, take the MCAT, and then apply summer 07, and work in 2007-8, enter med school Fall 08. But I don't want to organize your life for you :oops:

Anyway, congratulations on making the decision to start med school mid-life. I'm finally starting in 3 weeks time, and it's so exciting when you actually get where you want to be....

take care,
    James

4. budhia

budhia Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Thanks James for your reply. As of right now you are the ONLY one that is congragulating me for making this decision. So, if you don't mind! I say be my guest ..."organize my life". I am planning on taking MCAT apr 08 and starting med school 09. So, I have 2 years to take some more coursework. I want to be very careful and take the right classes with the right schedule (not too heavy not too light) work/volunteer etc. I am doing this very late so I want to do this as right as possible. My grad grades are fine but my non-science classes are few.

You can PM me with as many details as possible. If you have the time.

Thanks again