US dental school worth it if Europe is desired location?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnQ1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to SDN and dentistry in general.

I was pre-med until I decided against the typical MD lifestyle (long hours, long residency, higher stress).

Also, I love life in Europe, especially St. Petersburg, Russia.
I spent a year off after undergrad living there and I took Russian for my language requirement.

My main goal is to move to Europe and live there. Dentistry is an interesting and well compensated profession that I believe will serve me well.

Now, I have the opportunity to study in St. Petersburg or in the US. I scored 98% on the MCAT, so I expect a halfway decent DAT score is not unreasonable.

However, are there any advantages to a US school?
Seeing as dentistry is a business as much as a medical profession, I think finishing school in the country I plan to work in will help me adapt to local customs and business opportunities better.

Anyone know anything about the matter?
Thanks,
Robert

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why would you live in a frozen country :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, good jokes guys.
Well, I like culture, the people, and the natural landscape. Summertime in the deeps forests is amazing!
The grand architecture and sense of history really inspires me. Hundreds of cool cities to visit all over.
Plus, the women are easy on the eyes :)

Moving to Europe is something I've been interested in for a long time.

I don't know about your situation, but I've thought about living in Europe for awhile. Significant other grew up in Spain and I in France. I called the people in Spain, and they said if I go to school in the states, I'd just have to take and pass licensing exams in Spain. They said it didn't matter if I went to school in Spain or in the states. I don't know if that really helps but good luck. Russia is very pretty. I visited Moscow and Saint Petersburg two summers ago.

Yup, thats the same thing I've been told. Europeans don't really find a US degree that prestigious compared to their own country's. Europeans are proud and value their own educational traditions.

Well this might help you

I didn't get In the two cycles I applied. I thought about studying in Europe as well. I contested various agencies through different websites. Your dental degree will not be acknowledged completely in the UK. You have to take boards over there and you have to retake couple years of school. It is just like if people from Europe wanted to come here and practice. They would have to go to school and take the boards here. Depending on where you want to practice in Europe, it would be either advantageous or not , because of the economy.

The only viable route that I see for you, is that Ireland and Canada have a treaty that reciprocates recognition of degrees earned. So if I go earn my degree in Ireland ( 4-6 schools have the dental program if I am not mistaken) I can go work in Canada and my degree will be acknowledged.

Also if you want to go to dental school in Europe. You need to take an aptitude test that people take out of high school over there. I can't think of the name off the top of my head.

And he transfer of the credits is a pain in the neck, given that their grading system is completely different. If you try to apply to Irish schools , they help you with your grades and are more welcoming when it comes to American bachelors degrees. I would suggest emailing people at atlanticbridge.com. They were very helpful.

Good luck and I hope this helped.

Well this might help you

I didn't get In the two cycles I applied. I thought about studying in Europe as well. I contested various agencies through different websites. Your dental degree will not be acknowledged completely in the UK. You have to take boards over there and you have to retake couple years of school. It is just like if people from Europe wanted to come here and practice. They would have to go to school and take the boards here. Depending on where you want to practice in Europe, it would be either advantageous or not , because of the economy.

The only viable route that I see for you, is that Ireland and Canada have a treaty that reciprocates recognition of degrees earned. So if I go earn my degree in Ireland ( 4-6 schools have the dental program if I am not mistaken) I can go work in Canada and my degree will be acknowledged.

Also if you want to go to dental school in Europe. You need to take an aptitude test that people take out of high school over there. I can't think of the name off the top of my head.

And he transfer of the credits is a pain in the neck, given that their grading system is completely different. If you try to apply to Irish schools , they help you with your grades and are more welcoming when it comes to American bachelors degrees. I would suggest emailing people at atlanticbridge.com. They were very helpful.

Good luck and I hope this helped.

Are you sure about having to retake a couple of years of school? I was under the impression and was told by a professor who worked in the UK that you just have to pass an exam that was similar to the boards in the US.

To the OP, look into what is required for you to practice in Russia and other places of interest. Seeing that you are from the US, if you studied in Russia or wherever else, your degree would have no value in the US if you ever wanted to move back home. However, if an American dental degree means going to dental school again in Russia to be qualified then you might just consider going there, but if it's a matter of passing a couple of exams, I would say an American dental degree might be the way to go. Cost should also be a factor. If going to dental school in the US means 400k in debt then the foreign route might be worth it.. Good luck!

Thanks for the info ppflow. I think you're right. Finishing school in the US may result in unnecessary barriers.
I've already discussed admissions with St. Petersburg and it seems reasonable.

diene, you say US schools might offer an advantage. I am quite certain I won't be returning to the US. I've spent the last 2 years living and working in Russia and I love it. I was mainly concerned if a US school would offer advantages in prestige or salary within Russia.

Last edited:
I think everyone has already brought up a lot of good points regarding licensing. However, another important factor is the financing of it all. Dental education is crazy expensive in the states. If you could get it cheaper in Russia, you definitely should do that. I also wonder if you would make enough in Russia to service your U.S. dental education. Keep it easy on yourself and obtain your education in Russia.

No it isn't worth it. Move to Russia now.

Well, you have some US dentists working in places such as American Dental Center in Moscow. I do imagine that a better salary may be possible after US dental school.

On the other hand, I dislike American culture and women. I found myself much happier with the hot girls in Russia.

Its a tough choice. Spend 4 years miserable in the US for a better salary later...or start enjoying life now with hot Russian student girls.

To give an example:

My ex-girlfriend in Russia vs USA:

Russia: My ex was a smart girl studying English and German at uni.
GpU8EGRPdcY.jpg

USA
My ex-gf was nearly 30 lbs fatter in addition to having a drinking/drug problem.

USA for cash, Europe for lifestyle. Can't have it all in one place.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to SDN and dentistry in general.

I was pre-med until I decided against the typical MD lifestyle (long hours, long residency, higher stress).

Also, I love life in Europe, especially St. Petersburg, Russia.
I spent a year off after undergrad living there and I took Russian for my language requirement.

My main goal is to move to Europe and live there. Dentistry is an interesting and well compensated profession that I believe will serve me well.

Now, I have the opportunity to study in St. Petersburg or in the US. I scored 98% on the MCAT, so I expect a halfway decent DAT score is not unreasonable.

However, are there any advantages to a US school?
Seeing as dentistry is a business as much as a medical profession, I think finishing school in the country I plan to work in will help me adapt to local customs and business opportunities better.

Anyone know anything about the matter?
Thanks,
Robert

So let me ask you........

Are you aware of how much a practicing dentist in Russia gets paid? This might be more essential in the long term, probably more than dating hot Russian girls.

If you ever change your mind about living in Europe, or if things don't work out, you can at least come back to the U.S. and practice here - which will be so much easier to do if you did your training here.

Not sure what the age of consent is in Russia, but seems you might enjoy school there more

Salary of a dentist in Russia is 300% of average wage or more.

Thats good enough. According to economics, it doesn't matter how much you make but rather how much compared to average.

Definately not moving back to the US, as Russian dentists earn well and I prefer the culture.

I know it may seem strange to some here. A lot of pre-med/dent students are obsessed with GPA/DAT/letters of rec, etc. So when I post that I've got a chance to attend US schools and am considering other options, it sounds strange.

But let me ask this to those who have experience travelling abroad: I'm sure you know there are both pros and cons to Western culture.

Isn't there more to life than just money? Am I the one being immature...or are the people obsessed with cash the ones being short sighted? Whats the point of life if not to find a quality girl and raise a family? Isn't career just an aid to that?

what type of life can you have in Russia that you can't have in the states? You don't have to be abroad to find a quality girl. There are plenty in the states. If you just into international girls, there are plenty in big cities here. I just don't see why you can't go to school here and then leave for Russia after you graduate. What if this Russian girl after awhile wants to move to the states? you going to go through school all over again? I like the European lifestyle as well(born and raised there), but you can live that way in the states as well. Not trying to tell you not to move to Russia, but I would move there after finishing dental school in the states. Just my opinion though

Reactions: 1 user
Also, not saying all Russian girls are like this, but usually when they turn around 30 years old, it's like they become a different person. Just my observations. Look very hot early on, but then by 30 everything goes south.

russian-girls-age-20-vs-age-35.jpg

There is more to life than money, I agree. However, I feel that tune changes a bit once you’re older and have more responsibilities (children, mortgage, retirement, etc.). I enjoy the European lifestyle as well but not enough to be far from family. But I guess it all boils down to how you want to live your life. There are also many Russians in medical/dental school here in the U.S., so you really don’t have to go far to date eastern Europeans.

My fiancée is Russian and he wouldn’t dream of going back, but that’s just his opinion. I’m neither Russian nor Caucasian, but every time we want to experience Russian culture, we just head over to Brighton beach in Brooklyn ;)

Well, you have some US dentists working in places such as American Dental Center in Moscow. I do imagine that a better salary may be possible after US dental school.

On the other hand, I dislike American culture and women. I found myself much happier with the hot girls in Russia.

Its a tough choice. Spend 4 years miserable in the US for a better salary later...or start enjoying life now with hot Russian student girls.

To give an example:

My ex-girlfriend in Russia vs USA:

Russia: My ex was a smart girl studying English and German at uni.
GpU8EGRPdcY.jpg

USA
My ex-gf was nearly 30 lbs fatter in addition to having a drinking/drug problem.

USA for cash, Europe for lifestyle. Can't have it all in one place.

I say go to Russia ASAP.

...that way there will be one less arrogant misogynist in the United States that we have to deal with.

Good luck on your adventures, OP. I hope you find that it's absolutely nothing you're looking for.

Reactions: 1 users
mts2801, well I already have spent 2 years in Russia and found it to be everything I hoped for ;)

Apollonia, thanks for the advice, but its a different situation for you. As a woman in America you have the advantage. There is a large surplus of young, ambitious men due to immigrants such as your fiance. Whatever the reason, I was certainly able to date more attractive, intelligent, and good natured women in Russia.

Several of my friends are well off financially such as a surgeon guy I know. But many say its nearly inpossible to find a quality girl for marriage. So what good is all that money?

In life you can't have everything. London has a lot of good jobs, but the weather sucks. Portugal has awesome beaches and food but few jobs. Each place has its pros and cons.

"Human life is a series of compromises, and it is not always easy to achieve in practice what one has found to be true in theory." -Mahatma Ghandi