US Federal Financial Aid for international students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbles525

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I was recently accepted into the vet program at Murdoch University in Perth, AU. I filled out this past year's FASFA as if I were going to attend an American school, as a graduate student, but it is an undergraduate program in Australia. Does anyone know what that means for the FASFA? Most importantly if I have to report my parent's income? and in the same vein, can I apply for undergraduate scholarships? especially if I must tell them my father's income. Thanks guys!
~Marie

Members don't see this ad.

Murdoch should have a federal education number (you can look up that number from the FAFSA website). You use this number when filling out the FAFSA form. I'm not sure if you'll have to redo the FAFSA with Murdoch's number rather than the other university's number.

You do not have to report your parents' income. State that you are independent and working on a graduate degree (the degree is undergraduate in Australia but equivalent to a graduate degree in the USA, so this is perfectly fine). Definitely don't put that it's an undergraduate degree (you won't get the full $18500)!

Unfortunately, most scholarships are not available to international students. At least they weren't when I was looking into them (I went to a UK school).

I supplemented my Staffords with private loans.

If you need more $$$ than you can get thru the Stafford Loans you should check out www.studentloaninternational.com They give the best deals by far and will cover the full cost of your entire education (no caps).

Amy