US guided facet joint and SIJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dog_luver

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious to know how many of you do US guided facet and SIJ injections

Members don't see this ad.

SIJ, yes in a relatively lean person. Bill as a tpi with most ins. Facet, not a chance.

I prefer to do SIJs under fluoro. But yeah I have an attending that only does US and gets upset if we don't want to do facets under US. I think it's risky and not good care. I told the attending that I would prefer if they did this procedure and I would watch as they did it. I don't want my name associated with that at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't do either under US. When you have fluoroscopy it is much easier to to the block accurately than when using ultrasound. I tried a number under combined fluoro/ultrasound and came to the conclusion US was not for me. I use it for many other injections.

Flouro for both. I like to see my dye pattern. Relegate ultrasound to stellate ganglion and PNBs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Are US guided SIJ still paid by commercial insurance?
I thought the bundled SIJ code requires fluoro or CT guidance.

20552 and 76942

Billed as tpi... but similar efficacy if performed correctly

Cannot use 27096 code

20552 and 76942

Billed as tpi... but similar efficacy if performed correctly

Cannot use 27096 code

Can I ask out of curiosity and for my own education, what an US guided SIJ pays?

technically, according to ASIPP fee schedule, the combined procedure would "pay" 56.35 + 61.37= $117.72... vs an SIJ in the office of $162.22...

Reactions: 1 users