US History Minor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, i'm wondering if anyone knows if it would be beneficial to have a minor in US History. I've always enjoyed US History. I'm currently a Biochemistry Major, and i am considering to add in that History minor. Only need to take about 5 classes(4 units each).

Ofcourse i mean beneficial as in applying to medical school=).

Members don't see this ad.

Beneficial? No.

Hurtful? No.

Your major or minor makes NO difference at all in medical school admissions as long as you take the required courses. If you are really interested in US History, please take the additional courses in it, because it will a long time before you will have the chance again to take something for "fun".

------------------
PGY1
Penn State University
Department of Surgery

If you really enjoy it, go for it!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Kimberli Cox and wingy are both right, major in something that your going to enjoy studying. I wish I would have majored in Music which is something i was going to do but didnt because I thought the adcom would look down on a music major.

I really do want to take it, i think for right now though, i'm gonna weigh the work load. I got lots of stuff planned for next quarter. One big assault before applying ya know.

Thanks for the input, so far i think i'll do it eventually, before i graduate :)

Just to add another 2 cents. I majored in music and had a terrific time. When I interviewed I received a great deal of extra attention (how many classically trained musicians actually apply anyway?) and my faculty interviewer thought that it only strengthend my application.

You do not have to look like every other rat to win the race, in fact the opposite may be true.

Study what you like. I feel for the many students who spend their entire education doing science science science. Don't get me wrong, it's my favorite subject, but as a doc, I'll never have time to do something else, so I'm glad I did it then.

Just remember, a lot of people major in that and minor in that just for a little designation on their transcript. If you are missing a couple classes for that designation, and it'll take you one more semester to do it, I wouldn't go for it. I've realized now that it's the classes you take that matter, not necessarily what's on your transcript.

I was kind of annoyed because the AMCAS (when I filled it out) has no place to put in a minor so you don't really get credit for it. You can put it in some secondaries though or mention it at yoru interview if it comes up. But I agree with the previous posts, always just take things because you are interested in learning about them, you will do the best in those classes.