US-IMG or non-US-IMG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pearl_Identity

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone,

I apologize if there is an answer to my question elsewhere, and my search skills failed me, but:

Is a US citizen (graduated from non-US med school, came to US, recently naturalized) considered US- or non-US IMG?

So far, I mainly saw "US-IMG" referring to US Citizens (US-born and raised?) graduating from Caribbean schools and returning to US for the residency, and having slightly better chances than non-US IMGs. Does it hold true for a foreign-born and foreign-graduated US Citizen?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait a minute...

You were a non-U.S. citizen when you went to medical school, graduated with your degree, and now are living in the U.S. and are a naturalized U.S. citizen?

That makes you a non-U.S. IMG who is now a U.S. citizen. (Splitting hairs.)

The fact that you are now a citizen helps you because it will release you from the J-1 or H-1(b) requirements that many residency programs struggle with (assuming that's why you're asking).

But, the bigger questions are these:
  • What was your year of graduation from foreign medical school?
  • How long have you been out of practice and/or not had direct patient contact?
  • Have you taken and passed all the USMLE Steps and how long has it been?
This is what residency programs will also want to know if you are working the pathway towards licensure and practice in the U.S. Getting U.S. citizenship is a huge help in that regard, and best of luck to you!

-Skip

Reactions: 1 user
Skip,

Thank you for the detailed response and warm words!

I asked on behalf of my husband – and yes, it was a long and winding road:

Med school (Eastern Europe), a clinical residency and practice for a few years in his home country, then family-based US green card and citizenship. So yeah, I was wondering whether it makes him US-IMG for the residency purposes and I was assuming that the fact that he does not need visa support would be in his favor.

A lot of red flags – YOG >10, he recently passed Step 1 (first attempt), but got a very low score, preparing for Step 2 now. I am not asking “WAMC” – I am well aware the chances are pretty low; depending on his Step 2 and may be Step 3 performances, we may have to think it over.

Thank you!

There are some hills to climb and obstacles to navigate, but the key thing is passing the steps and getting the ECFMG certification and then, perhaps, getting an off-cycle appointment in a community FP or IM program that may lead to a full residency appointment. IMGs can also do Fellowships first (interestingly) and this may open some doors as well.

It's like riding a bike: once you get back into it in a structured training program, it begins to feel natural again.

Good luck!

-Skip

Thank you again, Skip!

I really appreciate the info – I did not know that IMGs can do a fellowship first – I searched it online, apparently it’s a bit unofficial – not through NRMP fellowship match, but rather by contacting PDs and trying to find an unfilled fellowship position? Do you have any info link lying around, which you could share? I found the one on ama-assn website - open-residency-fellowship-positions, are there other places to look or is it pretty much exploring and contacting all the fellowship programs one by one?

Thank you,

It's specialty dependent. Used to be very common in IM, but now the ACGME requires a US IM residency first, or a special waiver. Can be done in some other fields. Might still be possible in Nephrology -- they have a zillion open spots, and might be willing to jump through hoops to fill them.

It's specialty dependent. Used to be very common in IM, but now the ACGME requires a US IM residency first, or a special waiver. Can be done in some other fields. Might still be possible in Nephrology -- they have a zillion open spots, and might be willing to jump through hoops to fill them.

Thank you, aProgDirector!

Yeah, I looked up “Nephrology” – it looks like it might be doable, or at least worth trying. What is that special waiver for? Is it for someone who can validate foreign residency somehow? Or for someone with some other outstanding circumstances?

Thank you for the video, Skip!

It looks like there is a chance - that guy mentioned finding Fellowships in Radiology, Physical Medicine and Rehab. and Anesthesiology.
I guess we will make a plan to inquire with the programs which potentially may have such spots.