Position Wanted US IMG Seeking Neuro or IM Prelim PGY1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Br0wnPanth3R

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'll make this short and to the point. I understand the position I am in, trust me, i've seen countless family members in the same spot as me (who are all practicing physicians now) and i've heard of all of the advice possible. I know my chances are lower and harder, but please, bear with me.
  • June 2019 Grad
  • FIRST time attempting MATCH + SOAP
  • Applied Neuro this MATCH, 6 interviews (IM Prelim as back up, 1 interview)
    • No MATCH, no SOAP
    • Great emails from PD's all saying they'd love to have me in their program so...not sure what happened (But we all know this is a common thing I guess)
  • 5 Neuro Research Publications
    • Two presented at ANA and North American Neuromodulation Society (poster presentations)
    • One pending publication
  • Working with Neurologist right now as an Assistant/Scribe
  • Observerships with top Neuro residencies aka Barrow Neuro Institute in the MS clinic (Loved this opportunity)
    • Three other Neuro Observerships
    • One IM Observership and one NeuroPsych (Thought earlier I may be interested in Psych too but decided Neuro is what I really want to do)
      • Volunteer for a national diabetes clinic/working directly with Physicians to provide free screenings for patients & medical advice
  • Despite board scores, have had great feedback on my clinical knowledge. I suffer from a medical illness i'd rather not disclose, so my test taking skills have suffered but my in person, clinical skills are great. Addressed in Personal Statement
  • Great sample of LOR's, I know there isn't anything poor written in them.
Okay, so obviously my biggest flags here are my board scores and the retake. I have been working my a** off to offset this by doing research, working extremely hard, reaching out to all contacts, brushing up on anything possible. I know what I need to do.

While Neuro seemed like it was right within my reach this MATCH, clearly it wasn't, so i'm preparing to apply again, this time with more IM prelims. You might be wondering why I didn't apply broadly to this as well first time? Great question, I wasn't thinking about it and it slipped my mind since I became overly focused on matching in to Neuro.

Anyways, right now I am spending time volunteering to help those affected by COVID. I genuinely love the field of medicine, and I still keep up with my clinical knowledge through the job I have. My Attending Physician is amazing, and allows me to have in depth discussions with him on all the patient's he sees (the one I work for, always asking what I think of a diagnosis and how my thought process would go). I love Neurology, I won't stop until I figure out a way to get there. Helping people is what I wake up for every day, and also why I didn't let MATCH affect me as much, because I knew I just had to work that much harder to prove myself. (Side note, even he, who knows my board scores, has attested to my work ethic/clinical knowledge and was surprised I did not match this cycle either).

Looking now for an IM prelim or even by a miracle, PGY1 neuro spot should one open between now and July. If anyone knows of anything, please let me know. I know a lot of people are posting on here these days, and i'm more likely to be overlooked based on my stats, but I know I am more than that.

In the meantime, due to COVID I already know many other options to help boost my resume are suspended i.e. observerships, shadowing, research etc. I did have another research opportunity lined up which slipped because of this situation. If you have advice on what else I can do, I love staying busy and staying focused on my end goal.

Thank you, and again please be gentle, I know what position I am in, but focused on how to get out of it.

(And I guess this wasn't short and "to the point" but thank you for reading).

EDIT: You may be wondering why I attempted MATCH a year after graduating - I did not pass Step 2 CK during this time and received my score too late/needed to do the retake so I postponed it, since as an SGU grad we were required to have this completed prior to applying for residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey,

You should check out University of New Mexico's Pre-Neurology residency fellowship program. It's paid and perhaps a way to learn, improve, and boost your resume for a residency position. Hopefully they have a spot still open.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks so much, I definitely reached out them a few times and no one ever picks up the phone. I've been trying for a few weeks now. I'll keep trying, thanks for commenting on my post I really appreciate it

Reactions: 1 user
For those needing some good news today and hope, I got a residency position this morning. Thank you all who read this!

Reactions: 18 users
For those needing some good news today and hope, I got a residency position this morning. Thank you all who read this!
Congrats? Where at and specialty? I definitely need some

Congratulations!!! And thanks a lot for sharing the good news with us to spread some positivity.

If you don’t mind, can you please share some details about how you got it (ofcourse without sharing specifics about the program). Some examples, maybe state, specialty, categorical/prelim. Whatever and however much you’re comfortable with. Will be much appreciated!

Good luck for your new journey : )

Details ? Please and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the congratulations and well wishes. I matched into Neurology! The specialty I have worked so incredibly hard for.

Some details:

www.inforesidency.com and www.residentswap.com were the biggest help, and the most accurate resources I found. I did not skip a beat when a new program appeared on the website and I immediately reached out. I had those who wrote my letters of recommendation for the regular match cycle on standby, as well as an additional new reference I did not include in the match. I think that this made a difference, every time a program opened I would email them asking please to put in a good reference for me, and they always did for me. I had a good support system and attendings who believed in my ability throughout medical school, they were willing to help.

I also made sure to really offset my lower than average board scores by staying well-rounded and focused on my field of interest. The research really helped, and I continued to assist on publications after match was over. I let myself feel the emotions of not matching but picked myself back up and immediately thought of what can I do to make myself a better applicant the second time around. I again reached out to all resources. All of my friends matched last year, I didn't apply to match, but they are all residents. So for starters I reached out to anyone I knew well enough from my med school days to please let me know if anything opens up, and I followed up with them once a week. I stayed on top of the websites, and ultimately if any position opened in a state where I knew someone was doing residency there, I would reach out to my friend even if it wasn't the same hospital. You'd be surprised, the chance that someone knew someone there was much higher than I anticipated, and word of mouth travels fast. Don't underestimate your resources. In the end it was my friends who helped me reach the right people for this opportunity, and a friend who I was least expecting to be the one that opened the door for me (who I am eternally grateful for).

I really hope that this provides hope for those who are still waiting for the chance to get that phone call, or that email next year. This year isn't over, keep your eyes peeled and keep hustling. Stay focused and determined, and I know its so hard to say when this is a disheartening situation and I myself spent a lot of time grappling with a lot of emotions, but I am a firm believer that hard work will pay off, it just may not be when you want it to. If this wasn't your year, next year may be, and maybe you'll find a position a month removed from match like I did too. This year is even more up in the air with COVID happening, but stay positive.

Thanks all for reading!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How good is inforesidency.com?
That is what I used that ultimately landed me the residency position. The website itself looks dated, but they are updating the information on there in real time. It is about $26 a month I believe, but well worth it. I used to check it a few times a day.

@Br0wnPanth3R If I subscribed to FAR and res swap do you think that's enough to cover most openings? Or would it be worthwhile to invest in others?

@Br0wnPanth3R If I subscribed to FAR and res swap do you think that's enough to cover most openings? Or would it be worthwhile to invest in others?
To be honest these were the two I found the most value in, I also made sure to read through Match a Resident and FREIDA just as support websites for additional program information, but I found that infores and reswap were really good about staying up to date on new openings. For infores, they had posted the Neuro position and immediately contacted the program!

@Br0wnPanth3R Ok. Glad you said that, I'm a little reassured now. They seem very good. I have some other contacts who mention openings that always show up on one of those two. Thanks bud.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the congratulations and well wishes. I matched into Neurology! The specialty I have worked so incredibly hard for.

Some details:

www.inforesidency.com and www.residentswap.com were the biggest help, and the most accurate resources I found. I did not skip a beat when a new program appeared on the website and I immediately reached out. I had those who wrote my letters of recommendation for the regular match cycle on standby, as well as an additional new reference I did not include in the match. I think that this made a difference, every time a program opened I would email them asking please to put in a good reference for me, and they always did for me. I had a good support system and attendings who believed in my ability throughout medical school, they were willing to help.

I also made sure to really offset my lower than average board scores by staying well-rounded and focused on my field of interest. The research really helped, and I continued to assist on publications after match was over. I let myself feel the emotions of not matching but picked myself back up and immediately thought of what can I do to make myself a better applicant the second time around. I again reached out to all resources. All of my friends matched last year, I didn't apply to match, but they are all residents. So for starters I reached out to anyone I knew well enough from my med school days to please let me know if anything opens up, and I followed up with them once a week. I stayed on top of the websites, and ultimately if any position opened in a state where I knew someone was doing residency there, I would reach out to my friend even if it wasn't the same hospital. You'd be surprised, the chance that someone knew someone there was much higher than I anticipated, and word of mouth travels fast. Don't underestimate your resources. In the end it was my friends who helped me reach the right people for this opportunity, and a friend who I was least expecting to be the one that opened the door for me (who I am eternally grateful for).

I really hope that this provides hope for those who are still waiting for the chance to get that phone call, or that email next year. This year isn't over, keep your eyes peeled and keep hustling. Stay focused and determined, and I know its so hard to say when this is a disheartening situation and I myself spent a lot of time grappling with a lot of emotions, but I am a firm believer that hard work will pay off, it just may not be when you want it to. If this wasn't your year, next year may be, and maybe you'll find a position a month removed from match like I did too. This year is even more up in the air with COVID happening, but stay positive.

Thanks all for reading!

Congratulationss!! those are great and hopeful news particularly for me and thanks for sharing your experience with all of us :)

Hey all,

I'll make this short and to the point. I understand the position I am in, trust me, i've seen countless family members in the same spot as me (who are all practicing physicians now) and i've heard of all of the advice possible. I know my chances are lower and harder, but please, bear with me.
  • June 2019 Grad
  • FIRST time attempting MATCH + SOAP
  • Applied Neuro this MATCH, 6 interviews (IM Prelim as back up, 1 interview)
    • No MATCH, no SOAP
    • Great emails from PD's all saying they'd love to have me in their program so...not sure what happened (But we all know this is a common thing I guess)
  • 5 Neuro Research Publications
    • Two presented at ANA and North American Neuromodulation Society (poster presentations)
    • One pending publication
  • Working with Neurologist right now as an Assistant/Scribe
  • Observerships with top Neuro residencies aka Barrow Neuro Institute in the MS clinic (Loved this opportunity)
    • Three other Neuro Observerships
    • One IM Observership and one NeuroPsych (Thought earlier I may be interested in Psych too but decided Neuro is what I really want to do)
      • Volunteer for a national diabetes clinic/working directly with Physicians to provide free screenings for patients & medical advice
  • Despite board scores, have had great feedback on my clinical knowledge. I suffer from a medical illness i'd rather not disclose, so my test taking skills have suffered but my in person, clinical skills are great. Addressed in Personal Statement
  • Great sample of LOR's, I know there isn't anything poor written in them.
Okay, so obviously my biggest flags here are my board scores and the retake. I have been working my a** off to offset this by doing research, working extremely hard, reaching out to all contacts, brushing up on anything possible. I know what I need to do.

While Neuro seemed like it was right within my reach this MATCH, clearly it wasn't, so i'm preparing to apply again, this time with more IM prelims. You might be wondering why I didn't apply broadly to this as well first time? Great question, I wasn't thinking about it and it slipped my mind since I became overly focused on matching in to Neuro.

Anyways, right now I am spending time volunteering to help those affected by COVID. I genuinely love the field of medicine, and I still keep up with my clinical knowledge through the job I have. My Attending Physician is amazing, and allows me to have in depth discussions with him on all the patient's he sees (the one I work for, always asking what I think of a diagnosis and how my thought process would go). I love Neurology, I won't stop until I figure out a way to get there. Helping people is what I wake up for every day, and also why I didn't let MATCH affect me as much, because I knew I just had to work that much harder to prove myself. (Side note, even he, who knows my board scores, has attested to my work ethic/clinical knowledge and was surprised I did not match this cycle either).

Looking now for an IM prelim or even by a miracle, PGY1 neuro spot should one open between now and July. If anyone knows of anything, please let me know. I know a lot of people are posting on here these days, and i'm more likely to be overlooked based on my stats, but I know I am more than that.

In the meantime, due to COVID I already know many other options to help boost my resume are suspended i.e. observerships, shadowing, research etc. I did have another research opportunity lined up which slipped because of this situation. If you have advice on what else I can do, I love staying busy and staying focused on my end goal.

Thank you, and again please be gentle, I know what position I am in, but focused on how to get out of it.

(And I guess this wasn't short and "to the point" but thank you for reading).

EDIT: You may be wondering why I attempted MATCH a year after graduating - I did not pass Step 2 CK during this time and received my score too late/needed to do the retake so I postponed it, since as an SGU grad we were required to have this completed prior to applying for residency.
Hi,
I am a neurologist currently writing a story for the American Academy of Neurology publication on IMGs seeking residencies in neurology.
If you are still looking for a match and are willing to be interviewed, please contact me at www.dravitzur.com.
Thank you!