US IMG, step 1=213. What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeonardMcCoy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm a US IMG and I just got my step 1 score back= 213.
I've already looked at the NRMP statistics from 2010-2013/2014 and average USMLE Step1 score for US IMG matched to Internal Medicine is 221. I'm not sure how much has changed since 2013 but what are my chances at matching to a internal medicine residency program? And what should I do to maximize my chances of matching? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
- do electives in hospitals you want to go
- letter of recommendation from observership/electives from big name hospital staff. mayo takes them but it can cost $$$
- research, even if 2nd or 3rd author w profressors/residents
- do much better in step 2

Members don't see this ad :)
You passed step 1, you have a pulse and a medical degree. You will find an IM program somewhere. I failed into an my current IM categorical spot with a worse step score than you have and coming from an IMG background.

Reactions: 1 user
Should I risk not matching by applying exclusively to internal medicine or should I play safe and apply to family medicine only? I understand there's SOAP for those who did not match but exactly how bad are these SOAP spots that go unfilled each year?

If IM is your career goal and you have to be in IM then yes apply to IM only. If you don't mind doing other specialties and just want a job then you should apply to other specialities as well. SOAP is for US grads and IMGs with special connections, i wouldn't count on it.