US IMG vs non US IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ALTorGT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
Just wonderin if y'all could answer my query.
Its been posted many a time on this board - How conditions are getting tougher for IMGs but spots are always available in the less than super competitive specialites. Just wondering, does this apply equally to US and non US citizen IMGs?
I'm an Aussie BTW. Does me not having a VISA or having to ask the hospital to sponsor me for a H1-B significantly mess up my chances.

I'm in my 5th year of a 6 year undergrad course. I will graduate and complete internship in Sydney and am considering the prospect of working as a Doctor in USA after that (Yet to take USMLEs but hope to have them completed in the next 3 years). I get the chance to do a 2 month elective anywhere I like at the end of the year. I know its been said that clerking at a reputable US teaching hospital will improve my chances. But seeing as it is that it will be 2-3 years later b4 I make an attempt to transfer over to the US, will it still be of any relevance?

Thanks in advance dudes and dudets.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Aussie!

Here's what I found from my own experience (I am a non-US IMG applying this year into EM and IM), from talking to other IMGs and from internet forums:

>does this apply equally to US and non US citizen IMGs?

The general rule of thumb is supposed to be that non-US IMGs have better chances than US IMGs. The reasoning is that US IMGs are people who weren't able to get into a med school in the US, you get the picture...
However, this might not be true for all specialties. When I was applying to EM programs, many turned down my application saying they don't sponsor any visas. I got only 2 interviews for EM, while about 13 for IM, including places like Mayo clinic.

>But seeing as it is that it will be 2-3 years later b4 I make an attempt to transfer over to the US, will it still be of any relevance?

Yes, definitely! I have done the same thing, my rotations in the US were 3 years ago, and it certainly helped my application. If I were in your shoes, I would do the electives in the US, get myself noticed, ask the attendings for a recommendation letter and explain the whole story. It would be best if they could write a draft of the letter and update it later - once you will be submitting your residency application.

As Foreign MD pointed out, USIMG's have the "you couldn't get into med school in the US" stigma. However, nonUSIMG's have the "We can't understand your accent and we aren't going to try very hard" problem. Also, you need a visa, which means more paperwork for the program, etc. As an Australian, you should probably not have any trouble.

Doing a rotation or two in the US should really help out. You may want to schedule the CSA while you are here (and avoid another trip)- but you need to have taken step 1 and toefl before you can register.

Search the site, there have been many questions about going to Australia for medical school, including issues about coming back to the States.