US IMGs vs Non-US IMGs - Which has a better chance of getting accepted into residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simplespring

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am a final year IMG who has a dual citizenship (US and another foreign country) and am currently in the process of researching/planning for my residency application. However, I have been searching around for data regarding US citizen IMGs (Matching stats, guides, etc.) but sadly couldn't find much...

I was wondering if anyone could shed light on what the differences are in match rates between US IMGs and Non-US IMGs. In my case, which arc would be more favorable for me to raise my chances of matching (Of course, this would be in addition to the usual factors like strong LORs, USCE, High Step scores, etc.)?
Any links or resources would highly be appreciated!

Just a quick stat about me just in case it is relevant:
Residency interest: Anatomical/Clinical Pathology
Step 1 score: 234
Step 2 CK/CS: pending
Publications: 1

Since this is my first post, I apologize if there have been any similar posts before on this website. I hope anyone could be kind enough to refer me to it if there is one!

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

See gyngyns post. Although if you are applying to Pathology I think that you are in a better position than most IMGs.

Reactions: 1 user

This is exactly what I needed and it was right under my nose! Thank you so much!

See gyngyns post. Although if you are applying to Pathology I think that you are in a better position than most IMGs.

After reading around more, I've read that several programs consider visa status as a filtering factor for their programs. As you mentioned, that may put US IMGs in a better position. Thank you for your input!

Reactions: 1 users