US M4 with red flags. What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

griseofulvin420

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
School: Bottom tier US MD
AOA: No
Class rank: Bottom 1/4
Step 1: 254
Step 2: Pending, scored in high 250s on practice tests
Clerkship grades: 5 honors, 1 pass (IM), we have a H/P/F system
EC: Student Council president, numerous volunteering, currently working on a research project which I will get a poster presentation from and possibly published (not anesthesia related)
Letters: One from vascular surgeon, one from family doc, one from department chair of anesthesia, all "strong letters"
Red flags: Repeated M2 due to failing two classes

I really want to go to Cleveland Clinic, UMich or WashU, are those out of the question?

Members don't see this ad.

School: Bottom tier US MD
AOA: No
Class rank: Bottom 1/4
Step 1: 254
Step 2: Pending, scored in high 250s on practice tests
Clerkship grades: 5 honors, 1 pass (IM), we have a H/P/F system
EC: Student Council president, numerous volunteering, currently working on a research project which I will get a poster presentation from and possibly published (not anesthesia related)
Letters: One from vascular surgeon, one from family doc, one from department chair of anesthesia, all "strong letters"
Red flags: Repeated M2 due to failing two classes

I really want to go to Cleveland Clinic, UMich or WashU, are those out of the question?

No. You have a decent shot at Cleveland Clinic and maybe even the others. You want a mix of maybe 5 upper tiers and 20-25 midtier programs. I think you can match at Cleveland Clinic or Pitt which are both excellent programs.

Be prepared to discuss failing M2 during interviews, or you could make a very interesting/compelling personal statement out of the story (if you'd like). Clearly you have done well since with great scores since.

I always say (and agree with Blade above) - apply broadly. It would be unwise for (almost) anyone to apply to upper tier programs only, throw in some mid-tier and you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your high step 1 score saved you from potential disaster, but it isn't the near lock it would have been if you hadn't failed M2. Be prepared to discuss why it happened. I look at your post and wonder if you took on too many extracurricular activities, and others will likely ask the same question. Extracurricular activities are helpful to an application, but may work against you if people see your high step 1 score as a sign of intelligence and your failing grades as a sign that you aren't taking medicine seriously enough or aren't focused enough. On interviews make sure to indicate what you've learned from your past mistakes and how that has made you stronger. You should be fine matching, likely at a very good residency program, just make sure that you have a backup plan if the programs that you want aren't available to you. There are a ton of great programs and you have the opportunity to land yourself at one of them.

Reactions: 1 users
How does someone capable of a 254 fail 2 classes?
Temorary illness, family issues, bad study habits ...

Or all 3 - picture a MS1 with mono, married to someone on bedrest for severe pre-eclampsia, who never had to put any effort into anything as an undergrad ... that was me. Fortunately my residency program was able to overlook my F in histology and D in biochem that first semester. I didn't really learn how to study until med school. Rough start.

Temorary illness, family issues, bad study habits ...

Or all 3 - picture a MS1 with mono, married to someone on bedrest for severe pre-eclampsia, who never had to put any effort into anything as an undergrad ... that was me. Fortunately my residency program was able to overlook my F in histology and D in biochem that first semester. I didn't really learn how to study until med school. Rough start.
Damn. I would've begged for a little time off

Thank you all for the input!
No. You have a decent shot at Cleveland Clinic and maybe even the others. You want a mix of maybe 5 upper tiers and 20-25 midtier programs. I think you can match at Cleveland Clinic or Pitt which are both excellent programs.
Do you think applying to ~30 programs is sufficient or should I apply to more considering my repeated year? I have 52 selected in ERAS right now, with ~10 of those being upper-tier and the rest mid-tier.
How does someone capable of a 254 fail 2 classes?
It was a mix of time-consuming extracurriculars (which actually wasn't too bad by itself), compounded by family issues starting in M2. I should have taken a leave, but thought I could power through it which clearly didn't work out.

Actually I made this username because my roommate and I were studying antifungal drugs and he said griseofulvin sounds like a fancy slang term for weed. I've never touched the stuff myself. Probably not the best username choice for this forum, in retrospect

Damn. I would've begged for a little time off
Heh, the ER doc who diagnosed me with mono actually said I should take the semester off. Remember it like yesterday. I gave this sort of painful hoarse incredulous laugh through my Demerol haze, like, no way am I going off cycle, are you nuts? I'm in med school, I can't take time off! I should've listened to him because it happened anyway. :)

Oh well. All just a happy memory now.

In truth, it wasn't just sickness and disease that made me a poor MS1. I was a lousy disorganized lazy studier. I had to make big changes to my study habits and just grow the **** up, academically speaking.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for the input!

Do you think applying to ~30 programs is sufficient or should I apply to more considering my repeated year? I have 52 selected in ERAS right now, with ~10 of those being upper-tier and the rest mid-tier.

It was a mix of time-consuming extracurriculars (which actually wasn't too bad by itself), compounded by family issues starting in M2. I should have taken a leave, but thought I could power through it which clearly didn't work out.

Actually I made this username because my roommate and I were studying antifungal drugs and he said griseofulvin sounds like a fancy slang term for weed. I've never touched the stuff myself. Probably not the best username choice for this forum, in retrospect

52 isn't necessary. 35 is more than enough as you will Match at a midtier program. Everyone makes mistakes and you made yours. Mid-tier programs will see you are capable and smart when you put forth the effort. Mid-tier won't be an issue and perhaps, a top tier will even take you. Good luck.

What has been implied here is that how you match will probably depend less on failing M2 than on WHY you failed M2 and what you did about it. Legit reason + compelling growth story = good match

Reactions: 1 users
What has been implied here is that how you match will probably depend less on failing M2 than on WHY you failed M2 and what you did about it. Legit reason + compelling growth story = good match
I believe I have both a legit reason and compelling(?) growth story. Should I add this into my personal statement? Or discuss during interviews only?

I believe I have both a legit reason and compelling(?) growth story. Should I add this into my personal statement? Or discuss during interviews only?

I'd definitely add it to your PS so you can control the narrative, otherwise programs will either make assumptions, throw your app away or flip to the MSPE for clarification