US MD (non-US citizen) vs. IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hongkildong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first time posting something on SDN and I just wanted to ask if everything being equal (similar USMLE scores, similar clinical experiences in the states), who would have a higher chance of matching into a residency, US MD graduates who is canadian and does not have a green card vs. IMG us citizen? I keep hearing about how most programs don't want to sponser the H1B visa or J1 visa so you'd have a hard time matching despite being US MD graduate. Considering both candidates did relatively well on their step 1 score and got good LORs, who would have a higher chance of matching in such as internal medicine or general surgery? I know that the number of US MD graudates is increasing and I feel like they'd favor the us citizens (even though they went overseas for their MD) over someone who has visa issues. Also, is it harder for non-US MD to match into competitive programs such as Derm or Radiology? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, harder for non-US MD's to match into rads or derm, but you still have a higher probability than an IMG, even if they are US citizens. If you have good scores, programs will look at you. In general people say it goes ACMGE grad (regardless of citizenship) > DO grad (regardless of citizenship) > IMG grad US citizen > IMG grad non-US citizen. Of course there are exceptions but this is the general gist.

Thanks for your reply! I was just worried because I hear stories about how successful ACMGE grads have issues matching due to their visa issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the US, being a US medical school grad will give you better opportunities, regardless of citizenship.

Moving to pre-allo since user is still pre-med.

Yes, harder for non-US MD's to match into rads or derm, but you still have a higher probability than an IMG, even if they are US citizens. If you have good scores, programs will look at you. In general people say it goes ACMGE grad (regardless of citizenship) > DO grad (regardless of citizenship) > IMG grad US citizen > IMG grad non-US citizen. Of course there are exceptions but this is the general gist.

This sounds about right.