US med grad but not US citizen/resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fcelestin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a senior med student in a US med school but I do not hold US citizenship nor permanent alien status. I hold an F1 student visa. Does anybody know what category I fit in? I applied to residency through ERAS with no problem (will apply for a J1 visa I guess) but was wondering if I would have to apply twice for the J1 if I did a prelim first without having a sure spot for a categorical after?
Any clues? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

you fit in the category 'regular american medical graduate' ... who unfortunately has a visa problem.
i'm surprised that you 've neither made plans thus far regarding your status nor talked to your med school about it... ???

you should avoid a j-1 at all costs, and take step 3 ASAP. get a lawyer and go for the h1b visa status. you can start residency on your f-1, in case the process takes longer than expected, but it shouldn't...
good luck!

Originally posted by SweetMD
you fit in the category 'regular american medical graduate' ... who unfortunately has a visa problem.
i'm surprised that you 've neither made plans thus far regarding your status nor talked to your med school about it... ???

you should avoid a j-1 at all costs, and take step 3 ASAP. get a lawyer and go for the h1b visa status. you can start residency on your f-1, in case the process takes longer than expected, but it shouldn't...
good luck!

I just want to add to that....yes, go for H-1 visa and avoid J-1, but you cannot start your reidency with an F-1. That's bad advice. You will need an F-1 (OPT), which is a work visa. F-1 is only for students. F-1 (OPT) took me over 3 months to obtain from start to finish so apply early! I was not allowed to start working until they physically saw the card - having it approved was not enough. F-1 (OPT) is one-year long and should allow you time to sort out the H-1 or permanent residency paperwork. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You will need an F-1 (OPT), which is a work visa. F-1 is only for students. F-1 (OPT) took me over 3 months to obtain from start to finish so apply early! I was not allowed to start working until they physically saw the card - having it approved was not enough. F-1 (OPT) is one-year long and should allow you time to sort out the H-1 or permanent residency paperwork.

Yes, that's the one I meant!! Didn't mean to confuse anyone...
:)

thanks for the advice guys, I'm gonna look into all this visa stuff ASAP. So, what are the other disadvantages to the J1 apart from the two year home requirement? (I think the home requirement can be waivered) Why is the H1 more desirable?

With the H-1, the program can sponsor you for a permanent residency during your H-1 period.

Ahmed

sponsoring of green card DURING residency on h-1 is extremely rare, i've only heard anecdotes...

the major disadvantage is the home residency requirement, that's it!!!
if you have any idea what this can involve (and it doesn't matter, whether you're married to an American by that time and have kids or not), that's pretty significant
yes, it can be waived, but many people are scrambling for these waivers, and you'll be forced to work for (currently i think) 5 yrs at a rather undesirable place.
advantage of j-1 if you have a foreign spouse - they can work on the j-2 visa.

or simply marry your us resident/citizen girlfriend that you you are madly in love with (if that be the case)

Best of luck

Originally posted by fcelestin
thanks for the advice guys, I'm gonna look into all this visa stuff ASAP. So, what are the other disadvantages to the J1 apart from the two year home requirement? (I think the home requirement can be waivered) Why is the H1 more desirable?
I am currently a matched US MS4 (no greencard, Canadian citizen) going to residency that will sponsor me an H1B. I have done some research on this topic over the past application cycle.

As already pointed out previously, the home requirement is the most important disadvantage of J1. But other problems may also arise with a J1 is: 1. since J1 is an "exchanger visa" can you get your country to "sponsor" your "exchange"? Some countries are easier than others. 2. H1B is much more desirable for non-citizens because it can be transitioned to a green card AFTER residency when/if you are employed by a hospital. 3. Hospitals LOVE J1 and HATES H1B because they have to do very little paperwork and pay very little fee for J1, whereas H1B requires them to do mucho paperowork, and basically makes them legally liable if you somehow screw up or leave the program, and it requires them to pay a handsome amount of processing fee. Almost all hospitals that sponsor international citizens sponsor J1, relatively few do H1B's and if they do, only under certain circumstances. 4. Hard to get a prelim year to sponsor you an H1B because you are only there for a year.

I'll dissect each one with more detail.

1. What country are you from? Some country will give you a document for J1 easily, whereas some others (ie. Canada) will require lots of paperwork and you passing MCQEE before they will sign that paper to allow you to accept J1. Make sure you find out.

2. H1B is basically a technical skills visa. It gives you a lot more freedom after you finish your training, and that it can be transitioned into a permanent residency (ie. green card) when you are employed after residency. Since most people do med school/residency in the US with eventual US practice in mind, this is the most natural transition. J1 is very awkward because of the home residency requirement, and although it can be waived if you desire to work in under-served areas or some govenmental agencies like some inner city VA, the rules are becoming more stringent. And the recent talks about making the home residency requirement 5 years makes J1 a big gamble.

3. Believe me, most hospitals that deals with significant international citizens love J1 and frown on H1B. In fact, some places will publicly state that they can ONLY do J1. If you can only take H1B, dont even bother with those programs... Call them and find out where they stand, and can they make exceptions given your qualification as an AMG... If they can't, and you need H1B, then dont even bother - nothing is worse than not able to start residency because of visa problems. In my personal case, I know I can only take H1B, and I turned down some interviews at prestigeous institutions this past cycle because of their inability to assure me that they can sponsor H1B. Make sure you mention you are USMG and not IMG when you talk to them, because many of them are willing to make exceptions if you are an US grad because you have more leverage, whereas if you just say you are international, then they will assume you are IMG and impose their "J1 only" requirement, as they know your leverage is much less.

4. Prelim years are only 1 year, and most prelim programs can only do J1 because H1B is a lot of work, a lot of processing and a lot of money. In this regard I dont blame the program, but if you have already matched into the specialty program that requires a prelim year (say rays or anesthesia) then you will need your primary program (the anesthesia program) to apply your primary visa. But if you ONLY got a prelim spot and went unmatched for the primary specialty, then to be honest I dont know how I would approach it. Personally I am doing a straight categorial program, so I didn't do much research on this topic.

Hope this helps.

These are great info.

But on what type of visa would you practice in the US, after you have finished your residency on H1B. I know that you can get your employer/hospital to sponsor you for Green card, but what is your status in the meanwhile?

Just a note, Canadians cannot obtain a J1 waiver.

Hey guys,

I have a noncitizen friend who is trying to get into med school, but looking for loans. As far as I know, federal programs do not give out loans to non-citizens--what are some of the options? Did any of you get loans? Do they ask for collaterals etc? It's a tough life with all this visa stuff, good luck.

I would think that the best advise for non-citizens or perm. residents would be: "Bring a Big Bag of Ben Franklins".

There's NO access to Federal loan programs. It should be fairly obvious that those are reserved for citizens. Same, for various reasons, apply for the majority of univ. scholarships. Also, while I have no personal experience with the issue, I doubt if ANY bank would loan you money if you don't have a credit history, don't have a resident guarantor and/or don't have permanent resident status. How would they make sure that you wouldn't just leave the country after graduating and go to Farawayistan, leaving them high and dry?

smf said:
or simply marry your us resident/citizen girlfriend that you you are madly in love with (if that be the case)

Best of luck

How long after a marriage to an us citizen, an IMG will be allowed to apply/ get in residency program via matching?

Thanks!

Sincerely,

medi

Renovar said:
2. H1B...can be transitioned into a permanent residency (ie. green card) when you are employed after residency...
How can this be done?

J.opt said:
How can this be done?

I would like to know how also...

I am a US grad who is not a US citizen or permanent resident. I just matched into a prelim program and a separate Anesthesia residency. For my prelim I will be covered by my one year of practical training and my residency program say they do sponsor H1b. Does anyone know how to find out if the program I matched at falls under the cap. It is a state school (SUNY) but I'd like to find out for sure if I'll be guaranteed the H1b or if I'll be subject to the cap cause I heard if the program is a for profit institution then one is subject to the cap regardless.
Also I heard from someone that passing step 3 or holding a license was only required for IMG's seeking H1b not for US grads who are foreign citizen...is this correct ???

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance.

there certainly should be an international office there who could tell you if it would fall under the cap or not, although I'd be very surprised if any university based teaching hospital is for-profit.

Although IANAL (I am not a lawyer), my understanding of the H-1 B is the same. That is, holding a U.S. medical degree is enough to have you considered as a professional, and that you do not need to be licensed and pass Step 3 as an IMG would. It would be an impossible task without taking a year off, as it takes months to get a license in most states.

Renovar said:
As already pointed out previously, the home requirement is the most important disadvantage of J1.
I'll dissect each one with more detail.
1. What country are you from? Some country will give you a document for J1 easily, whereas some others (ie. Canada) will require lots of paperwork and you passing MCQEE before they will sign that paper to allow you to accept J1. Make sure you find out.

What paperwork do they ask? Do they check you are permanent resident? If I do not clear MCQEE, can they say go to my citizen country? Thank you for kind help.

Several of the top private schools will admit and may provide some funding to international students. This would include yale, harvard, stanford, washu (MSTP), vanderbilt (MSTP) ,u. chicago, columbia. Of course this raises the problem of only the most competitive (and well funded) schools in the country will admit international students with any regularity and provide some funding. However, many more schools will require you to document that you have enough funds in an account for at least one, if not 4 years of study, to issue your I-20.

If you can find a U.S. citizen to co-sign your loans, that would be one possibility. Canadian students can try CanHELP, don't know about other nationals.