jennaS

10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Is it possible for a US Med School Graduate to match into (say) a UK residency program and then further practice medicine in the UK?

I could not find any info on people who graduated with an MD degree in the US and went on to obtain specializations (residencies) and practice medicine internationally. I'd appreciate any info. Tx

sirus_virus

nonsense poster
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Is it possible for a US Med School Graduate to match into (say) a UK residency program and then further practice medicine in the UK?

I could not find any info on people who graduated with an MD degree in the US and went on to obtain specializations (residencies) and practice medicine internationally. I'd appreciate any info. Tx

From my research I have found it is easier to land a Ménage à trois with Jessica Alba and Gisele Bundchen than to land a residency program in most of Europe. They lock their turf down.

Old_Mil

15+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2004
Earth
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
From my research I have found it is easier to land a Ménage à trois with Jessica Alba and Gisele Bundchen than to land a residency program in most of Europe. They lock their turf down.

Yep - in every field that pays well, not just medicine. We're the only country selling benefits in vending machines to all comers.

About the Ads

buckley

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
You can take the PLAB (which is the UK's version of the MLE). There's a number of websites that will guide you how. In general though, the US still offers the best opportunities for training.

BabyPsychDoc

10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2007
The City of Dreaming Spires
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

I only personally know one person who went through medical school in the US and then ended up training in psych in the UK. She had personal reasons to do so (married to a Brit), and as a wife of the British citizen she did not have to deal with the major hurdle of getting a suitable visa.

In short, the major problem is the visa at present. PLAB is not difficult, compared to USMLEs (it is like Step 2 but emphasis is on management more than pathophysiology). If you can get round the visa restrictions, then the issue is practically taken care of. US grads seem to be looked upon more favourably than other FMGs in this country.

BabyPsychDoc

10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Yep - in every field that pays well, not just medicine. We're the only country selling benefits in vending machines to all comers.
and it has nothing to do with the size of the US population and the reluctance of homegrown physicians to practice in certain areas of the country...how generous of the US:rolleyes:

jennaS

10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
BabyPsychDoc,
Thanks for your response. I am not a UK citizen, but I have an EU passport, so i wouldn't need a visa, would I?
Plus, it will be years until I graduate, but I like to plan ahead of time.

BabyPsychDoc

10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
:DThe EU passport not only saves you from immigration hassle - it also means you do not need to take any more tests. Congrats! You can compete for a UK residency on equal terms with the UK grads.

P.S.:)I also like to plan ahead of time - it helps you to take appropriate steps in advance rather than being "surprised" at the most inopportune moment.

Good luck.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.