US Med school graduate looking to do residency in Spain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jgillen21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is possible? And if so, how do I go about doing it? THANKS!!! :p

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that there was a thread on that issue before. You might have to set the time for the threads to be shown to something like a year.

You will have to write an exam (the MIR) before you can start a residency in spain. Similar to the competition for the USMLE, this exam is very popular with physicians in latin america who look at it as a passport to get into the EU. I believe the ministry of education administers the test. Maybe this overview from the BMA might help you:
http://www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/Content/EEA~Spain

You will need a work permit. The easiest way to get that is if you have 'EU rights', either through marriage to a EU citizen or through derivative citizenship (some EU countries have 'blood-right citizenship', you might be able to claim citizenship if your granddad was a citizen of a now EU country).

(I hope you paid for your medschool tuition out of your ample trust-fund. Salaries for junior docs in spain are pretty minimal).

Thanks f_w!! I had no idea if it was even possible or not. Sounds possible, just not the easiest thing.........thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
There was a thread on this....so look back in time through this forum. It is not the easiest thing to accomplish but I think that with some perseverance it can be done. I am planning on doing a fourth year elective in Spain so that might be a good way to get your foot in the door and find out what you need to have in place to apply there...good luck!

hi I am argentinean and working in US. Do you know were I can found info about working permit in spain?
thanks
andrea

I believe that there was a thread on that issue before. You might have to set the time for the threads to be shown to something like a year.

You will have to write an exam (the MIR) before you can start a residency in spain. Similar to the competition for the USMLE, this exam is very popular with physicians in latin america who look at it as a passport to get into the EU. I believe the ministry of education administers the test. Maybe this overview from the BMA might help you:
http://www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/Content/EEA~Spain

You will need a work permit. The easiest way to get that is if you have 'EU rights', either through marriage to a EU citizen or through derivative citizenship (some EU countries have 'blood-right citizenship', you might be able to claim citizenship if your granddad was a citizen of a now EU country).

(I hope you paid for your medschool tuition out of your ample trust-fund. Salaries for junior docs in spain are pretty minimal).

hi I am argentinean and working in US. Do you know were I can found info about working permit in spain?
thanks
andrea

Sorry, I don't. Given that you probably have a good command of the spanish language, you should be able to find that sort of information on spanish goverment websites.
There are quite a few south and central american physicians in spain. Traditionally, it was allways difficult for non-EU foreigners to get work permits in spain, but as in most countries this typically can be achieved with the support of a prospective employer.

Hi!
I´m a Spanish resident, maybe I can help you with some of your questions... first of all... are you sure?? do you really want to do your residency in Spain?? if you are completely sure, it´s true, you have to pass an exam (a multiple choice question test of 260 questions in 5 hours) it takes about one year (studying 8-12 hours dayly) to prepare for this exam (to get a good mark, of couse you can hardly study if you want!!) once the exam is done you get a punctuation, the higher mark you get the better speciality/hospital you can choose... there isn´t any interview.
You can find all the information about the exam in this website (in Spanish)http://www.msc.es/profesionales/formacion/home.htm and about conditions for foreign people http://sis.msc.es/fse/PaginasEstati.../requisitos.aspx?MenuId=IE-00&SubMenuId=IE-08 (also in Spanish, the first condition is Spanish proficiency....)
Hope that helps!!!

hi! thanks. I am doing the revalidation of my degree. After this, I need a working permit? How do I get this? What does it change if I have a EU passport?
thank you!!
andrea

I have to do the MIR for any specialization?I mean, all training requiers that?
I read somewere that there is some places/residencies that you pay for it...?
I dont know in english if its the same translation as spanish" becario"
thanks again...
by the way, are you in spain?

Hi!!
You are right, you have to do the MIR for any specialization. And, in addition, you have to pay for a few residencies (such as legal medicine, sports medicine... the ones in which the resident does not attend in hospital...) In most of the specialities you have a salary (poor, it´s true, but a salary... you can live on!!) While being resident you are not a "becario", you join the social security scheme.
I´m sorry, I know nothing about work visas...
Yes, I´m in Spain!! and this weekend I´m on call... again!! :(

Hi!
I´m a Spanish resident, maybe I can help you with some of your questions... first of all... are you sure?? do you really want to do your residency in Spain?? if you are completely sure, it´s true, you have to pass an exam (a multiple choice question test of 260 questions in 5 hours) it takes about one year (studying 8-12 hours dayly) to prepare for this exam (to get a good mark, of couse you can hardly study if you want!!) once the exam is done you get a punctuation, the higher mark you get the better speciality/hospital you can choose... there isn´t any interview.
You can find all the information about the exam in this website (in Spanish)http://www.msc.es/profesionales/formacion/home.htm and about conditions for foreign people http://sis.msc.es/fse/PaginasEstati.../requisitos.aspx?MenuId=IE-00&SubMenuId=IE-08 (also in Spanish, the first condition is Spanish proficiency....)
Hope that helps!!!

Please tell me something dear .. i am ECFMG certified Foreign medical graduate doctor from India .. and i am want to get admission into the masters of cardiothoracic surgery in spain .. how do i do that ??? please help me for that .. thank you in advance ..