jgillen21

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Does anyone know if this is possible? And if so, how do I go about doing it? THANKS!!! :p

f_w

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Status
I believe that there was a thread on that issue before. You might have to set the time for the threads to be shown to something like a year.

You will have to write an exam (the MIR) before you can start a residency in spain. Similar to the competition for the USMLE, this exam is very popular with physicians in latin america who look at it as a passport to get into the EU. I believe the ministry of education administers the test. Maybe this overview from the BMA might help you:
http://www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/Content/EEA~Spain

You will need a work permit. The easiest way to get that is if you have 'EU rights', either through marriage to a EU citizen or through derivative citizenship (some EU countries have 'blood-right citizenship', you might be able to claim citizenship if your granddad was a citizen of a now EU country).

(I hope you paid for your medschool tuition out of your ample trust-fund. Salaries for junior docs in spain are pretty minimal).

OP
J

jgillen21

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Thanks f_w!! I had no idea if it was even possible or not. Sounds possible, just not the easiest thing.........thanks again.

efex101

attending
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2002
MN
Status
Attending Physician
There was a thread on this....so look back in time through this forum. It is not the easiest thing to accomplish but I think that with some perseverance it can be done. I am planning on doing a fourth year elective in Spain so that might be a good way to get your foot in the door and find out what you need to have in place to apply there...good luck!

aba

ABA
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2006
US
Status
Non-Student
hi I am argentinean and working in US. Do you know were I can found info about working permit in spain?
thanks
andrea

aba

ABA
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2006
US
Status
Non-Student
I believe that there was a thread on that issue before. You might have to set the time for the threads to be shown to something like a year.

You will have to write an exam (the MIR) before you can start a residency in spain. Similar to the competition for the USMLE, this exam is very popular with physicians in latin america who look at it as a passport to get into the EU. I believe the ministry of education administers the test. Maybe this overview from the BMA might help you:
http://www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/Content/EEA~Spain

You will need a work permit. The easiest way to get that is if you have 'EU rights', either through marriage to a EU citizen or through derivative citizenship (some EU countries have 'blood-right citizenship', you might be able to claim citizenship if your granddad was a citizen of a now EU country).

(I hope you paid for your medschool tuition out of your ample trust-fund. Salaries for junior docs in spain are pretty minimal).
hi I am argentinean and working in US. Do you know were I can found info about working permit in spain?
thanks
andrea

f_w

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Status
Sorry, I don't. Given that you probably have a good command of the spanish language, you should be able to find that sort of information on spanish goverment websites.
There are quite a few south and central american physicians in spain. Traditionally, it was allways difficult for non-EU foreigners to get work permits in spain, but as in most countries this typically can be achieved with the support of a prospective employer.

sarete

10+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2006
Spain
www.fotolog.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi!
I´m a Spanish resident, maybe I can help you with some of your questions... first of all... are you sure?? do you really want to do your residency in Spain?? if you are completely sure, it´s true, you have to pass an exam (a multiple choice question test of 260 questions in 5 hours) it takes about one year (studying 8-12 hours dayly) to prepare for this exam (to get a good mark, of couse you can hardly study if you want!!) once the exam is done you get a punctuation, the higher mark you get the better speciality/hospital you can choose... there isn´t any interview.
You can find all the information about the exam in this website (in Spanish)http://www.msc.es/profesionales/formacion/home.htm and about conditions for foreign people http://sis.msc.es/fse/PaginasEstaticas/InformacionGeneral/requisitos.aspx?MenuId=IE-00&SubMenuId=IE-08 (also in Spanish, the first condition is Spanish proficiency....)
Hope that helps!!!

aba

ABA
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2006
US
Status
Non-Student
hi! thanks. I am doing the revalidation of my degree. After this, I need a working permit? How do I get this? What does it change if I have a EU passport?
thank you!!
andrea

aba

ABA
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2006
US
Status
Non-Student
I have to do the MIR for any specialization?I mean, all training requiers that?
I read somewere that there is some places/residencies that you pay for it...?
I dont know in english if its the same translation as spanish" becario"
thanks again...
by the way, are you in spain?

sarete

10+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2006
Spain
www.fotolog.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi!!
You are right, you have to do the MIR for any specialization. And, in addition, you have to pay for a few residencies (such as legal medicine, sports medicine... the ones in which the resident does not attend in hospital...) In most of the specialities you have a salary (poor, it´s true, but a salary... you can live on!!) While being resident you are not a "becario", you join the social security scheme.
I´m sorry, I know nothing about work visas...
Yes, I´m in Spain!! and this weekend I´m on call... again!! :(

Dec 12, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Hi!
I´m a Spanish resident, maybe I can help you with some of your questions... first of all... are you sure?? do you really want to do your residency in Spain?? if you are completely sure, it´s true, you have to pass an exam (a multiple choice question test of 260 questions in 5 hours) it takes about one year (studying 8-12 hours dayly) to prepare for this exam (to get a good mark, of couse you can hardly study if you want!!) once the exam is done you get a punctuation, the higher mark you get the better speciality/hospital you can choose... there isn´t any interview.
You can find all the information about the exam in this website (in Spanish)http://www.msc.es/profesionales/formacion/home.htm and about conditions for foreign people http://sis.msc.es/fse/PaginasEstaticas/InformacionGeneral/requisitos.aspx?MenuId=IE-00&SubMenuId=IE-08 (also in Spanish, the first condition is Spanish proficiency....)
Hope that helps!!!

Please tell me something dear .. i am ECFMG certified Foreign medical graduate doctor from India .. and i am want to get admission into the masters of cardiothoracic surgery in spain .. how do i do that ??? please help me for that .. thank you in advance ..