US Med Student wanting to eventually practice in the UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmsteven

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am starting only my 2nd year as a medical student in Miami. I haven't thought much of where I want to go for residency and after but I have thought of the possibility of moving to the UK at some point in my life. I have a lot of family in England and Scotland and can see myself living there eventually. However, I'm not sure how difficult the transition would be from practicing medicine here vs in the UK and what kind of steps are necessary should I choose to do that. Sorry if this is a repeat thread...I couldn't find any posts that touched upon this. If you guys know of a similar thread, please direct me. If not, any insight on this topic would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your best bet would be to do your residency in the US and then write the PLAB (a licensing exam easier than the USMLE) and apply to the UK.

You won't be able to go to the UK to do residency mostly because there are very few spots for non EU students and even if you get in and you someday decide to return to the US, you would have to redo residency in the US.

You don't need the PLAB if you are coming from America, or any other English speaking country.

Once you are a board certified attending many specialties will allow you to practice here after jumping through a lot of hoops.

You don't need the PLAB if you are coming from America, or any other English speaking country.

Once you are a board certified attending many specialties will allow you to practice here after jumping through a lot of hoops.

I know this thread is old, but could you possibly elaborate on some of the hoops to jump through? Is it as simple as applying for a position in the UK after residency and have them sponsor you in visa applications? Do you know how realistic it is to obtain a job in the UK as a US trained physician?