1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

US medical schools for international student

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances? WAMC Medical' started by david1233, Dec 1, 2008.

1. david1233

Pre-Medical
    I'm a an international student from China studying in US undergraduate to pursue BA(Chemistry). I heard that it's really hard for foreigners to get into medical school in US. Is it better for me since i have my BA here in states.
    Do you guys have a ranking list of medical schools that accept the most international students?
    Thanks and good luck to everyone

2. Mobius1985

10+ Year Member

As a general rule, international students need to exceed the average stats of any med school they'd like to apply to. It is definitely in your favor that your undergrad degree comes from a US school, since AMCAS (the med school application service) doesn't accpt foriegn transcripts.

For an idea of mean GPAs and MCATs for each school, and what schools accept the most international students, see
    School Selection spreadsheet:

School_Selector_0910.xls (173.5 KB, 7430 views)

Scroll laterally to the last column and you'll see the per cent accepted.

Dosie_01 likes this.
  3. hal9000

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What he said.

Also, I think I've said this before on SDN somewhere, I know of an international student with a 35 mcat and 3.9 GPA (personable with amazing ECs), who didn't get into any US MD school... with most of the schools being lower tier/in-state. She did get into an osteopathic school, and in the end it worked out. But it's not an easy path.

4. aebvd97

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Definitely helps to obtain your BA in the States. An important question for you is whether or not you are a permanent resident. Many schools won't accept international students unless you are a permanent resident.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Mobius1985

10+ Year Member

Hal9000, by the way, is the author of the spreadsheet I referred you to.