US medical student, --> Canadian Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sockateez

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in my 3rd year at a medical school in the U.S. I have U.S. citizenship, but I did my undergrad in Canada and absolutely fell in love with the idea of practicing there.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I know Canadians come down to residencies in the US all the time, but I haven't been able to find much about the other way 'round.

I'm really not sure as to whether this is even possible, and if it is, if I have a chance. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have been able to find out you need to be either a permanent resident or citizen of Canada to be eligible for their match.

There are a lot of posts on similar topics, there's actually one in the EM forums that was active yesterday.

If what joker2400 said is true, I'd look into the possibility of using a US residency instead. Most specialties seem able to hop borders between US/Canada with relative ease, EM is the exception (they have different requirements in Canada).

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Cheers! thanks for your help. Looks like I need to bone up on my search skills

Cheers! thanks for your help. Looks like I need to bone up on my search skills

no worries. It's not always obvious someone's had your same question (but usually someone has).

In case you're not aware, SDN actually has a fairly good search feature. If you try that and don't like it, you can always follow a google search with site: (Insert website url here) to search a specific site using google.

I actually found my source with an easy google search. I wondered that myself previously, and I found a different resource with similar information last time I searched it.

Hope it works out for you

Edit: lol, forgot sdn turns : ( into a :(