US News 2003, 2004, 2005 Med Rankings on Excel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exmike

NOR * CAL
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think some of you stats / rankings lovers will get a kick out of this. I put the last three years of US News rankings into an excel sheet. Now you guys dont have to ask for it or buy it. You can notice some interesting trends between the years. Sorting by category produces some interesting results too. ENJOY!

U.S. News 2003, 2003, 2005 Rankings on Excel

p.s. Each Year is on a different sheet, so you can tab through the three sheets.

Members don't see this ad.

exmike said:
I think some of you stats / rankings lovers will get a kick out of this. I put the last three years of US News rankings into an excel sheet. Now you guys dont have to ask for it or buy it. You can notice some interesting trends between the years. Sorting by category produces some interesting results too. ENJOY!

p.s. Each Year is on a different sheet, so you can tab through the three sheets.

You're just trying to get more Karma points!

Hey I already paid for these, dammit... but this won't open on my computer I don't know why.

Eraserhead said:
You're just trying to get more Karma points!

Hey I already paid for these, dammit... but this won't open on my computer I don't know why.

Oh, nevermind, now it opens.

:clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Great post Mike :thumbup: !

I would have given you a karma point but it seems i've given out too many already!

Misty504 said:
Does anyone know if the GPA reported for each school is their average science or overall GPA?

Its the overall GPA

Overall Misty!

thanks for sharing the data and putting it all into excel! :)

just one thing though --- where are the 2004 and 2005 columns for "% of class getting top 3 residency choices"?

or why has US news stopped gathering that data? :confused:

thanks again!!

Whoa, I didn't know my school has faculty/student ratio- 1.5. That's great. We also have a high residency point. Cool!

noclouds said:
thanks for sharing the data and putting it all into excel! :)

just one thing though --- where are the 2004 and 2005 columns for "% of class getting top 3 residency choices"?

or why has US news stopped gathering that data? :confused:

thanks again!!

Top 3 residency is total crap...don't even pay attention to it...it's a skewed process that doesn't matter. Almost everyone at every school will get their top 3 b/c u aren't interviewed unless you have a decent chance..and if the school is going to guide you as to where you can apply....top choices are only based on where you interview...hence, every school is like 80 to 90%...a total waste of research for anyone.... btw, Rankings matter...but not to the extent that a #4 school is any better than a # 9 school....Go based on how you felt about the school, the environment, the rank, etc etc....in whatever order you have to do it...

Mike,

What happened to your med school predictions? Are they no longer valid? :(

How do you have so much time to do stuff like that? Sometimes I feel that I got so busy that I rarely have time to eat at all...

Members don't see this ad :)
10minutes said:
Whoa, I didn't know my school has faculty/student ratio- 1.5. That's great. We also have a high residency point. Cool!

Isn't the 1.5 ratio small? BU only has 1.8 faculty to each student. Some schools have 6,7 or 8 faculty for every student... hmmm... Am I analyzing this wrong? :confused:

exmike said:

Very very cool. Thanks! :thumbup:

this is great! thanks!

Dr. I Bleed Blue and Gold said:
this is great! thanks!

What's great is your screen name! I LOVE it! :laugh: :clap: :laugh: Every School I have ever gone to has been blue and gold! I've been a Crusader, Monarch, Baron, Anteater, and now Boston(?) Does anyone know their colors? If they're not blue and gold, I may have to withdraw... What's their mascot, anyway?

AlreadyInDebt said:
Isn't the 1.5 ratio small? BU only has 1.8 faculty to each student. Some schools have 6,7 or 8 faculty for every student... hmmm... Am I analyzing this wrong? :confused:

Maybe you are right, shoot! :(

CalBeE said:
Mike,

What happened to your med school predictions? Are they no longer valid? :(

How do you have so much time to do stuff like that? Sometimes I feel that I got so busy that I rarely have time to eat at all...

Hehe, i thought noone was looking at them anymore, so i took them down. want them back up?

And i have a lot of free time now. I dont worry much about my ms program anymore. man i cant wait to start med school!

exmike said:

Thanks man...that was very thoughtful of you! Can someone please tell me what this karma thing is all about? isn't karma supposed to be a bad thing?

Is it accurate to calculate total faculty based on fac/stu ratio multiplied by total students? I am trying to calculate the NIH/Fac ratio as some ppl have said that US News should consider it as a factor. According to preliminary analysis, UCSD would get quite a boost if this was factored in.

That is an interesting idea, but it would be better if there were some way to only factor in fac who do research. I'm not totally certain, but think some fac at schools with larger hospitals are almost totally clinical.

pekq said:
Is it accurate to calculate total faculty based on fac/stu ratio multiplied by total students? I am trying to calculate the NIH/Fac ratio as some ppl have said that US News should consider it as a factor. According to preliminary analysis, UCSD would get quite a boost if this was factored in.

WstSdDesi said:
Thanks man...that was very thoughtful of you! Can someone please tell me what this karma thing is all about? isn't karma supposed to be a bad thing?
Karma is a Neutral term, like "Temperature", or "History". It's basically a record of what you have done in the past, whether in this life, or in your past life (i.e. Changing your screen name won't erase your past!). Hence you can earn BAD or GOOD karma for your actions.

pekq said:

Maybe you should forward that idea to US News so they can change the methodolgy and throw the rankings world into turmoil.

Awesome work! Any chance you have the complete list of Pediatrics ranks for each year? (or at least for 2005?) Thanks!

exmike said:

:) :)

and now i see why mike is the top karma getting on the entire site of sdn... ;)

exmike said:
Maybe you should forward that idea to US News so they can change the methodolgy and throw the rankings world into turmoil.

If they did that, Harvard would lose #1 and washu would replace them :eek:
There's no way US News would ever do anything that'd displace Harvard from #1 cause Harvard bribes them with acceptances ;)

exmike said:

Way to go Exmike...Thanx :clap:

I would love to watch the wash u bashers find a way to bash them on having too much funding per PI.

pekq said:
If they did that, Harvard would lose #1 and washu would replace them :eek:
There's no way US News would ever do anything that'd displace Harvard from #1 cause Harvard bribes them with acceptances ;)

Maybe a better gauge of quality of research would be ratio of publication in a prestigious journal (eg. C/N/S) to # of PI. Then Harvard would probably retain first place. Again, UCSD would shoot up.

exmike said:

OMFG!!! You put a Macro Virus in there!!! Now I have to detox my labtop!!! Ooooooh Big Time Negative Karma points for you mister!!!

...(j/k) :D

For 2005, you have Stanford at #9. However, it's actually tied at #8 with Columbia (rather than Columbia being tied at #7 with U Mich).

klooless said:
For 2005, you have Stanford at #9. However, it's actually tied at #8 with Columbia (rather than Columbia being tied at #7 with U Mich).

Fuk stanfurd