US News 2006 Rankings here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As I long suspected, we are again number 1.

Members don't see this ad.

Harvard said:
As I long suspected, we are again number 1.
Gee, you were really going out on a limb there ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
i just wanted to put the rumors to rest once and for all. I just picked up a copy of the 2006 USNews rankings. Finch aka Rosalin Franklin was not ranked 37 on USNews Research, nor did it appear in the top 50 at all, in either research or primary care. I understand that the school is putting in a great deal of money into new facilities and with its increased research, its ranking and reputation are likely to rise. However, this wasn't the year they cracked the top 50.

rme04 said:
1 washington
2 unc
3 oregon
4 UMass, wisconsin
6 Duke
7 UCSD
8 UCSF
9 Mich St U. Coll of Osteopathic Med, Vermont
11 harvard, colorado, iowa, minnesota
15 brown, case western
17 ucdavis, missouri, nebraska, penn, rochester
22 baylor
23 hopkins, ohio state, UT southwestern, Yeshiva (Einstein)
27 maryland, michigan, new mexico
30 emory, michigan state, wake forest
33 ucla
34 dartmouth, east carolina, uab
37 east tenn st., indiana u, uconn
40 medical coll Georgia, mississippi, pittsburgh, virginia
44 medical college of wisconsin, utah
46 usc, wash u
48 boston u, cornell, arkansas, florida, u of n texas hlth sci ctr (tex col. osteo med), west virginia
Thanks for taking the time to post this! That was really nice of you. :)

What about Indiana U? I thought they would go up this year?

emma1980 said:
What about Indiana U? I thought they would go up this year?
Well, they dropped this year so I guess you thought wrong :D

every1blowz said:
I'm sure it's the obvious - UW owned whatever school you're going to and you feel pretty bad about it. Don't worry, it's only a "slight" fluctuation.

All of us premeds know that these rankings cannot be trusted. But America loves rankings, and anything that boosts my schools reputation is fine with me, even if it's a load of....

WOW, UW owned me, WOW. nice guess, but wrong. i don't attend any of the schools you originally mentioned. in fact, i could care less about them. i just thought your glee was ridiculous and i still do.

every1blowz said:
Wait, let me get this straight. The level of idiocy still isn't registering...you didn't approve of my glee, so you got in my face over it? Dude, what the hell? Seriously, shouldn't you have better things to do then troll the fourm looking for people to attack over trivial stuff that doesn't even concern you?

I intentionally contradicted myself in the second post, you know, where I admitted the rankings are indeed total crap. My owning buiness was a joke. I was hoping you catch it, laugh a little, and that'd be the end of it. I guess I didn't make it clear enough for some of us. Whatever, I hardly care. You can go ahead and pout over my feet for some attention, or whatever it is oyu're doing.

God, kids these days.

Oh, so now it's all a joke. i see, i get jokes. i don't believe that you were joking, but you're right in that i was being a bit of a prick. oh well.

King Arthur said:
Oh, so now it's all a joke. i see, i get jokes. i don't believe that you were joking, but you're right in that i was being a bit of a prick. oh well.

dude you both are getting owned; pm each other to play footsie and leave the rest of us to peace

Haybrant said:
dude you both are getting owned; pm each other to play footsie and leave the rest of us to peace

Owned

Members don't see this ad :)
1337, 1tym plz, kthx...

pwn3d!!

learn the language, guys..

These rankings are ******ed.

So is everyone that gets all paranoid over them.

If youthink for one second that residencies check the USNEWS before they decide on letting you in, youre a ****.

USNEWS WANTS TO MAKE MONEY. THEY MAKE MONEY OFF OF YOU "PARANOIDS."

Simply stated.

jjmack said:
If I remember correctly the primary care ratings factor the % of the graduating class that goes into primary care fields so that could be the cause of harvard and hopkins jump. Just a thought.

This could account for some of the jump - however, from the website about the 2005 rankings:

Primary-care rate (.30 in primary-care model only): The percentage of M.D. school graduates entering primary-care residencies in the fields of family practice, pediatrics, and internal medicine was averaged over 2001, 2002, and 2003.

So the primary-care rate is only worth 30% of the score, and it's an average, which lowers the change. If anyone cares about what makes up the other rankings percentages, see this link (I don't know if anyone's posted it already):

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/about/05med_meth_brief.php

MiaFLSurf said:
If you think for one second that residencies check the USNEWS before they decide on letting you in, youre a ****.

Residencies don't consult the rankings to figure out who to let in, rather I consult the rankings (with a block of salt) to see what the residencies think of the places I'm might go to. The things I look at are the peer reputation/residency director reputation scores. Granted, there may not be a lot of resolution there, but I'd like to make sure a bunch of people don't hate the school I may be picking.

MiaFLSurf said:
These rankings are ******ed.

So is everyone that gets all paranoid over them.

If youthink for one second that residencies check the USNEWS before they decide on letting you in, youre a ****.

USNEWS WANTS TO MAKE MONEY. THEY MAKE MONEY OFF OF YOU "PARANOIDS."

Simply stated.

Residency Directors don't have to. They already know where the bulk of their interns will come from.

More often than not, they come from the med. school the hospital is affiliated with.

Is albany medical college even ranked? Is it rising or does it even have a chance?

fkliberty said:
Is albany medical college even ranked? Is it rising or does it even have a chance?

no, not a snowball's chance in hell

exmike said:
There is a thread about columbia's possible probation. It has to do with insufficient clinical opportunities or something and student services. Do a search.

I didn't read the other thread, but this is consistent with the actions of the LCME. They are proactively making medical schools incorporate PBL and clinical experiences in the first couple years of medical school. As such, expect any school with heavy lecture based curriculums to feel some heat. This was part of the reason for RFUMS's probation. It certainly puts Columbia in the same situation. Personally, I think PBL is a load of bunk and actually like the lecture based style better, but then again, to each his own.

Can someone with the Premium Online Edition list 51 to 62? Just curious if UT-Houston is still there. Thanks.

All you whiners complain that the rankings are flawed just cause BU jumps a couple of spots.... WHEN BU HAS BEEN SAYING THAT THE RANKINGS ARE FLAWED EVERY SINGLE YEAR since their inception.

I could fill a box with all the tools in this thread. Exmike, dont you have better things to do (i.e. medical school stuff) than bash my school? Or do you find that since it took you half your natural life to get into med school whats a few more hours wasted putting down others?

51. Medical College of Wisconsin

51. Tulane University (LA)

51. University of Connecticut

51. University of Utah

55. Jefferson Medical College (PA)

55. Stony Brook University (NY)

55. University of Miami (FL)

55. Univ. of Texas Health Science Center–Houston

59. UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School

59. University of Arizona

59. University of Illinois–Chicago

62. Medical University of South Carolina

62. St. Louis University

62. Va. Commonwealth U.–Medical Col. of Va.

Does anybody know the new ranking of the University of South Florida...thx!

ugh, i cant believe jefferson dropped to 53.........that sucks! :( :(

How much do these rankings even matter? I'm using to the law school mindset, where the difference between the #1 and #5 school is pretty significant, and the difference between the #10 school and #25 school can shape a career. I get the impression this really isn't so in medicine. Is one's career likely to be much different if they attended a top 10 school versus one in the 40-50 range? If not, are these rankings mostly just for kicks then? Or, if they do make a real difference, what is it, and for whom does it actually matter?

vmc303 said:
How much do these rankings even matter? I'm using to the law school mindset, where the difference between the #1 and #5 school is pretty significant, and the difference between the #10 school and #25 school can shape a career. I get the impression this really isn't so in medicine. Is one's career likely to be much different if they attended a top 10 school versus one in the 40-50 range? If not, are these rankings mostly just for kicks then? Or, if they do make a real difference, what is it, and for whom does it actually matter?

I don't think it matters nearly as much. Of course all other things being equal the harvard kid is going to win over most others but I think step one, your class standing, and CV matter more than the name unlike law school.

Yea why would anyone even go to a non-top 10 law school if your name excludes you from top jobs right off the bat?

kingcer0x said:
I could fill a box with all the tools in this thread. Exmike, dont you have better things to do (i.e. medical school stuff) than bash my school? Or do you find that since it took you half your natural life to get into med school whats a few more hours wasted putting down others?

That's an unfair statement to make. OP posted the rankings and pointed out movements of a few different schools without stating any definitive judgements/bashing.

I think y'all need to remember, these rankings don't really mean anything either. I would expect that you guys would realize its not always about the numbers :rolleyes: Then again, some of the gunner pre-meds might not realize it.

The US News rankings is one of the few resources for "rankings" of medical programs but you have also remember that sometimes its hard to compare schools apples to apples. Also, by specialty is important. People want different things out of their schools. I read this over with a grain of salt b/c I know next year it will be different :rolleyes:

Do your own research on your schools and use this as a starting ground.

lightnk102 said:
That's an unfair statement to make. OP posted the rankings and pointed out movements of a few different schools without stating any definitive judgements/bashing.

Yeah but the OP is a rankings junkie... been following his posts off and on for years.

rme04 said:
1 washington
2 unc
3 oregon
4 UMass, wisconsin
6 Duke
7 UCSD
8 UCSF
9 Mich St U. Coll of Osteopathic Med, Vermont
11 harvard, colorado, iowa, minnesota
15 brown, case western
17 ucdavis, missouri, nebraska, penn, rochester
22 baylor
23 hopkins, ohio state, UT southwestern, Yeshiva (Einstein)
27 maryland, michigan, new mexico
30 emory, michigan state, wake forest
33 ucla
34 dartmouth, east carolina, uab
37 east tenn st., indiana u, uconn
40 medical coll Georgia, mississippi, pittsburgh, virginia
44 medical college of wisconsin, utah
46 usc, wash u
48 boston u, cornell, arkansas, florida, u of n texas hlth sci ctr (tex col. osteo med), west virginia
So Awesome!
True, the rankings don't mean that much, but recognition is recognition. Props to one of the greatest Osteopathic schools out there and a great school in its own right!

kingcer0x said:
All you whiners complain that the rankings are flawed just cause BU jumps a couple of spots.... WHEN BU HAS BEEN SAYING THAT THE RANKINGS ARE FLAWED EVERY SINGLE YEAR since their inception.

You've got serious confidence issues. How is pointing out that the jump in BU's NIH funding and its corresponding jump in the rankings bashing your school? Wouldnt that support the point that these rankings are flawed? It would seem to me that you're the one thats concerned about how your schools is perceived. If it makes you feel better to belittle my path to med school and to attack my character, then so be it. If posting rankings that i know my fellow SDNers would like to have is being obsessed with rankings, then so be it. I've posted a zillion times about how ridiculous the movement in rankings are, or maybe you just have selective memory. If you've got some personal issue with me, then pm me. You're stooping pretty low to call me out on the internet. :rolleyes:

my own rankings which are better than usnews

1. harvard, hopkins
3. ucsf
4. duke, penn
6. yale
7. wash u
8. michigan
9. stanford
10. ucla, baylor, cornell

exmike said:
You've got serious confidence issues. How is pointing out that the jump in BU's NIH funding and its corresponding jump in the rankings bashing your school? Wouldnt that support the point that these rankings are flawed? It would seem to me that you're the one thats concerned about how your schools is perceived. If it makes you feel better to belittle my path to med school and to attack my character, then so be it. If posting rankings that i know my fellow SDNers would like to have is being obsessed with rankings, then so be it. I've posted a zillion times about how ridiculous the movement in rankings are, or maybe you just have selective memory. If you've got some personal issue with me, then pm me. You're stooping pretty low to call me out on the internet. :rolleyes:

:laugh:

Ohio State is like the Rodney Dangerfield of medical schools. It's got higher MCAT and GPA scores than half the schools above it. Lots of $$$ in research funding. But it comes in at 37 because its peer ranking is low.