US News 2016 Medical School Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amba

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, baseless conjecture time:

1. Harvard
2. Stanford
3. Hopkins
4. Penn & UCSF
5. Yale
6. Duke
7. Wash U.
8. Columbia
9. U. Michigan
10. U. Chicago & U. Washington

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Michigan is now Top 10! (ish). But still top 10 nonetheless. Ranking is kind of a joke but still I'm happy to see Michigan's effort being rewarded.

Reactions: 2 users
Care to sum up what happened?

Duke makes a bunch of promises about different points in the application timeline. People call in to clarify things, only end up more confused, several people are left in "limbo" after the date where a decision should've been sent out to them where they have no idea what their status is. Someone makes a call and gets a statement that says all rejections have been sent out so limbo people speculate they may have been accepted. More speculation ensues. Most limbo people end up being rejected. Sadness.

Basically everything bad about admissions in any situation but compounded over a week and with tons of little administrative problems and dissonant messages.

Duke makes a bunch of promises about different points in the application timeline. People call in to clarify things, only end up more confused, several people are left in "limbo" after the date where a decision should've been sent out to them where they have no idea what their status is. Someone makes a call and gets a statement that says all rejections have been sent out so limbo people speculate they may have been accepted. More speculation ensues. Most limbo people end up being rejected. Sadness.

Basically everything bad about admissions in any situation but compounded over a week and with tons of little administrative problems and dissonant messages.
Wow. That is everything that is wrong with medical school admissions.

Funny I read the thread just now and it sounds like a lot of people flipping out for little to no reason, and probably an overwhelmed admissions secretary somewhere wondering why her phone got 10x as many calls as usual from people asking the same questions...

I understand the admissions process is stressful, but Duke running a few days behind hardly merits a march on Washington.

Do they at least still give out the consolation frisbee?

I'm not sure, I wasn't personally involved in this debacle. Well everyone waiting had been waiting all year basically so I can understand when the day finally comes all you want is to release the tension and just know.

I don't see much of a difference in the new rankings besides Pritzker and UMich moving up and there being a crapload of ties. Do people really get into heated debates over a simple ranking list?

Reactions: 1 user
I don't see much of a difference in the new rankings besides Pritzker and UMich moving up and there being a crapload of ties. Do people really get into heated debates over a simple ranking list?
It is a point system used to "objectively" rank them. If that isn't what you mean by arguments then I apologize :p

It is a point system used to "objectively" rank them. If that isn't what you mean by arguments then I apologize :p
No, I can see that. I just don't nitpick like that. All the top 10's are equal in my eyes, and the next 10 are all on par too. I don't see a need to argue why one school should be #5 over #7, for example.

Funny I read the thread just now and it sounds like a lot of people flipping out for little to no reason, and probably an overwhelmed admissions secretary somewhere wondering why her phone got 10x as many calls as usual from people asking the same questions...

I understand the admissions process is stressful, but Duke running a few days behind hardly merits a march on Washington.

For the record, "running a few days behind" is a gross understatement of the many problems that occurred.

I just want the school I got accepted at to be higher ranked than all the schools that rejected me....

Reactions: 15 users
what up stanford. theyve been making a solid move up in the last few years. anyone know why?

what up stanford. theyve been making a solid move up in the last few years. anyone know why?

probably because the rankings reflect arbitrarily chosen factors, some of which don't have anything to do with quality of medical education

For the record, "running a few days behind" is a gross understatement of the many problems that occurred.
Also, I'm not interested in debating this, but to get the whole picture of the ridiculous nonsense that happened surrounding Duke's decisions this year, you have to read the Duke app thread starting way back at page 21. If you (or anyone else) read the whole thing from there (~25 pages) and still disagree then I respect your right to hold that opinion, but I echo many other applicants in voicing my disappointment and frustration.

Is there somewhere we can look to see the rankings from past years?

Also, I'm not interested in debating this, but to get the whole picture of the ridiculous nonsense that happened surrounding Duke's decisions this year, you have to read the Duke app thread starting way back at page 21. If you (or anyone else) read the whole thing from there (~25 pages) and still disagree then I respect your right to hold that opinion, but I echo many other applicants in voicing my disappointment and frustration.

basically what i'm seeing is a bunch of premeds who can't handle waiting for a few days after hearing that some people were receiving acceptances by phone calls. going through denial and anger by hating on people who said that they got a phone call, leading to bargaining and depression while obsessively waiting by the phones. then having a pseudoseizure every time someone calls them after they harrass the admissions office like they're waiting for their junior high school crush to call back. also doing weird things like going through last year's thread and counting the number of acceptances on sdn

Wait you mean "reputation" doesn't strongly correlate with quality medical education? :p

(Link to methodology: http://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/articles/medical-schools-methodology)

please give me some credit, i read through the methodology before i posted. and yes reputation does seem to correlate but how strong it is is up for debate. i doubt that medical school deans are the proper people to ask for that since i doubt that they would have the best idea of how multiple schools stack up against each other, unlike residency program directors. but if your residency is at johns hopkins and you only take johns hopkins students or if you're at ucsf and you only take cali people, how would they be able to judge the other 170 or so schools that are on the rankings?

Is it a bad sign if a school has been dropping in rankings over the past 4 years on both research and primary care rankings?
Or is it possible to assume that means nothing as the rankings themselves mean nothing

Any of you guys have the full access? Could you PM me I want to ask you about a stat real quick.

Is it a bad sign if a school has been dropping in rankings over the past 4 years on both research and primary care rankings?
Or is it possible to assume that means nothing as the rankings themselves mean nothing

who cares?

what, you have to say that your school is a top 75 school instead of a top 50? let's get real here

Reactions: 3 users
I wonder if anyone who was ever accepted to both Harvard and Yale has based their decision on which school to attend on USNWR rankings

I really doubt it

Any of you guys have the full access? Could you PM me I want to ask you about a stat real quick.

+1, I'm curious as to whether the research ranking is at all correlated with a school's average step 1 score.

I really don't understand, people will come and say "rankings do not matter, why does anyone even care." But then people obsess everyday asking "what are my chances of getting into a top 20 school etc." and equate worthiness to it. Yes obviously some schools provide more opportunities than others and can lead to more connections etc. But they can't matter and not matter. Which one is it? Do rankings matter or not?

I really don't understand, people will come and say "rankings do not matter, why does anyone even care." But then people obsess everyday asking "what are my chances of getting into a top 20 school etc." and equate worthiness to it. Yes obviously some schools provide more opportunities than others and can lead to more connections etc. But they can't matter and not matter. Which one is it? Do rankings matter or not?

Try thinking on a spectrum. Most things tend not to be dichotomous although Americans love to compartmentalize

who cares?

what, you have to say that your school is a top 75 school instead of a top 50? let's get real here

I was referring more to the quality of education one receives at said school. to rephrase - Does a slide in rankings over past couple of years correlate with a slide in quality of education at that school? Referring especially to clinical years here

Published rankings are worthless because they focus mostly on research funding and not on most of the other things that prospective students should take into account when choosing a school- location, curriculum, extra curriculars besides research, location, atmosphere/personality, location a third time, etc. The ranking of every school depends on each applicant. Like for me, I have lots of family in Florida and would much rather spend four years in Miami because of the warm weather and proximity to support system than to be in Pittsburgh or New York for medical school. Every person has their own criteria for how to rank schools so they mostly shouldn't use a published, arbitrary ranking system like USNews to determine where they should go. In my opinion USNews is only helpful for evaluating research opportunity but only to a small extant. There are a million factors that should be taken into consideration, not just research.

Oh I understand that it's not utilized in calculating the rankings, but I was wondering if there is any correlation between research rank and average step 1 score.
Probably to a small extent. My understanding of pre-clinical learning is that it's mostly self-study, so if a school has a great average STEP 1 score, it's likely due to the students' inherent test-taking abilities (abilities which were likely reflected in their incoming MCAT scores).

please give me some credit, i read through the methodology before i posted. and yes reputation does seem to correlate but how strong it is is up for debate. i doubt that medical school deans are the proper people to ask for that since i doubt that they would have the best idea of how multiple schools stack up against each other, unlike residency program directors. but if your residency is at johns hopkins and you only take johns hopkins students or if you're at ucsf and you only take cali people, how would they be able to judge the other 170 or so schools that are on the rankings?

Calm down, I was being sarcastic, hence the :p. I think it's a ridiculous metric, especially considering how much weight it's given.

Link was for others, as it had not yet been posted in the thread. I could have made that more clear.

I think people tend to use "top whatever" as a way to reference a group of schools to save themselves the trouble of naming the actual schools while discussing them. For example, when someone says "what are my chances at a top 5," we know that they are most likely referring to Stanford, UCSF, Penn, Harvard, and Hopkins.

Oh I understand that it's not utilized in calculating the rankings, but I was wondering if there is any correlation between research rank and average step 1 score.

Strong correlation at the top. Eight of the top 10 by mean Step 1 score are in the top 10 research rank.

The top 10 by Step 1 are, in order:
Penn (Perelman) (246)
U Chicago (Pritzker)
Baylor
WashU
Duke
Columbia
Stanford
Harvard
Yale
Case Western (239)

FYI, top 10 by Step 2:
Emory (251)
Penn (Perelman)
U Chicago (Pritzker)
WashU
U Michigan
Harvard
Northwestern (Feinberg)
Columbia
Cornell (Weill)
Mount Sinai (Icahn)
UNC-CH (246)

No surprises here if you follow the averages over time to minimize noise.
Schools that are in the top 10 for both USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 scores for each of the last three years:
Penn (Perelman)
WashU
Harvard

Which schools have the highest MCAT scores over the past few years? Those three. Bingo. The best predictor of performance on standardized tests is previous performance on standardized tests.

Last edited:
But how will we know which schools have the highest step 1 scores if this data is not available?
Edit: Just saw the above post. @chronicidal, what is your source for this?

When people start to dissect the list and say "omg X school moved up 2 spots this year!" or "wow Y school beat Z school," that's when rankings don't matter. If you're deciding between #2 and #72, #2 is likely to have more opportunities, better reputation, etc so in that sense the ranking "matters." So really, the tiny changes that happen each year mean almost nothing in the grand scheme of things.

But how will we know which schools have the highest step 1 scores if this data is not available?

I believe Step scores for some schools are available behind the paywall. I've heard the scores reported to US News are greatly massaged though.

Strong correlation at the top. Eight of the top 10 by mean Step 1 score are in the top 10 research rank.

The top 10 by Step 1 are, in order:
Penn (Perelman) (246)
U Chicago (Pritzker)
Baylor
WashU
Duke
Columbia
Stanford
Harvard
Yale
Case Western (239)

FYI, top 10 by Step 2:
Emory (251)
Penn (Perelman)
U Chicago (Pritzker)
WashU
U Michigan
Harvard
Northwestern (Feinberg)
Columbia
Cornell (Weill)
Mount Sinai (Icahn)
UNC-CH (246)

No surprises here if you follow the averages over time to minimize noise.
Schools that are in the top 10 for both USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 scores for each of the last three years:
Penn (Perelman)
WashU
Harvard
I mean all of these schools have 35+ MCAT averages, it shouldn't be a shock that these schools have the highest step score averages