US News 2021 Medical School Rankings Predictions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

langwang3

Reaction score
They will be released March 17 (https://www.usnews.com/education/bl...est-graduate-schools-rankings-coming-march-17).

I know, they're not important, pd ratings and match lists are more useful, blah blah. I'm just bored cause everything's been cancelled so here’s my top 10:
1. Harvard
2. Stanford
3. Hopkins
4. UCSF
5. Penn
6. Columbia
6. WashU
8. UCLA
8. NYU
10. Duke

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I'll bite.

1. Harvard
2. Hopkins
3. Stanford
4. Penn
5. UCSF
6. Wash U
7. Columbia
8. UCLA
9. Cornell
10. Duke

Reactions: 1 user
May be they should add Corona response as an additional criteria and redo the ranks?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
While speculation about this may yield interesting results, I'd like to remind people that USNWR rankings have faced very legitimate criticisms and this study (Gollehon NS, Stansfield RB, Gruppen LD, et al. Assessing Residents' Competency at Baseline: How Much Does the Medical School Matter?. J Grad Med Educ. 2017;9(5):616–621. doi:10.4300/JGME-D-17-00024.1) showed that "Our results suggest that residents' medical school of origin is weakly correlated with clinical competency as measured by a standardized OSCE."

that said, let's look at the past few years:
2019:
1. Harvard
2. Hopkins
3. Stanford
3. Penn (+3)
5. UCSF
6. Columbia
6. UCLA (+2)
8. WashU St. Louis
9. Cornell
9. Mayo (-3)
9. NYU (-6)

2018:
1. Harvard
2. Hopkins (+1)
3. NYU
3. Stanford (-1)
5. UC San Francisco (-1)
6. Mayo Clinic
6. Penn (-1)
8. UCLA
8. WashU St. Louis (-1)
10. Duke (-2)

2017:
1. Harvard
2. Stanford
3. Hopkins
4. UCSF
5. UPenn
6. Columbia
7. Duke
7. WashU St. Louis
9. UMichigan
9. Yale

I predict:
Harvard, Stanford, and Hopkins will stay at the top of the list and the rest is variable depending on NIH funding and activity (weighted at FORTY PERCENT of USNWR methodology - last year they changed the methodology to "drop four indicators of research activity conducted at medical schools: total non-NIH federal research activity, average non-NIH federal research activity per faculty member, total nonfederal research activity and average nonfederal research activity per faculty member." which shook things up a lil)

Reactions: 1 users
But..but.. rankings don’t matter :( 2021 rankings probably won’t deviate much from last year, at least the top 5 won’t.

• Haha
can we make a bracket since march madness is canceled?

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Another one of my favs: “ the only people that care about rankings are premeds and med school deans” lol
I got $$$ on Harvard being #1

• Haha
Maybe if I change my prediction of stanford to #1 I will get good karma and they will accept me off the waitlist

Maybe if I change my prediction of stanford to #1 I will get good karma and they will accept me off the waitlist

177448FE-EF1D-4CF1-8E46-140BA18FA3B3-5736-000003D4BCFF8691.jpg

Adcoms triangulating your IP address in order to figure out your identity and give you that A after you predicted them #1

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Why y’all looking down on Mayo? Tsk tsk, definitely not showing enough interest.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Their post-ii acceptance rate was 100% this year, so that bumps them down.
Almost all which were then swiftly converted into 100% WL lol

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Stanford is at #4 because their faculty have better things to do than NIH-funded research. Also NYU and Mayo are doing something shady to game the rankings, someone please investigate. Accepting higher MCAT and GPA students are obvious hacks but they have to be doing something else to bamboozle the rankings recently.

Also I'm surprised in the methodology that acceptance rate has such a small weight and yield is not considered.

• Hmm
Lol I love how 5 medical schools are the 6th best in the country
According to the methodology: "Indicators were standardized about their means, and standardized scores were weighted, totaled and rescaled so that the top school received 100; other schools received their percentage of the top score. Medical schools were then numerically ranked in descending order based on their scores."

They must have rounded to like the nearest 10%

• Haha
Mayo and NYU will stop at nothing to be a top 5. Giant billboards claiming NYU is the best medical school in NYC will be up by dawn lol Yale tho, talk about a fall from greatness. Cornell stays knocking on that top 10 door. This is the most fun I get without March madness smh

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
Mayo and NYU will stop at nothing to be a top 5. Giant billboards claiming NYU is the best medical school in NYC will be up by dawn lol Yale tho, talk about a fall from greatness. Cornell stays knocking on that top 10 door. This is the most fun I get without March madness smh

Do you think Yale students will have trouble matching now at top programs considering the T15 ranking?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Do you think Yale students will have trouble matching now at top programs considering the T15 ranking?

I’m messing with you lol Yale will be more than fine. It’s still Yale at the end of the day, with a solid history. You won’t have problems matching MGH caliber programs if that’s what you’re worried about

Anyone with access to the US News Compass would be kind enough to share the Residency director scores and median GPA/MCATs? Just curious!

lmao these rankings are wild! who's idea was it to have a 5-way tie for 6th?

NYU is basically Mike Bloomberg at this point.

(Please see the joke everyone, I’m not trying to be political.)

• Haha
  • Wow
Any chance you could share the median MCAT/GPAs as well? Thanks!
I'll eventually pull more of the data but I don't have that info around rn and don't feel like looking haha - if I get around to it, I'll let ya know tho!

Can anyone tell me why such a big disparity between PD rating and USNews Ranking for NYU? I am seriously considering NYU over some other t20's because of the ranking.

Can anyone tell me why such a big disparity between PD rating and USNews Ranking for NYU? I am seriously considering NYU over some other t20's because of the ranking.

NYU rose in the rankings relatively recently, and reputation takes a while to catch up. They were #22 in the PD rankings 2 years ago.

I have them as 13th in PD ranking this year and last year

@TheDataKing I think your PD scores for Baylor are incorrect. Their research and primary care scores appear to be 3.9 and 4.0, respectively. Just thought I'd point that out!

@TheDataKing I think your PD scores for Baylor are incorrect. Their research and primary care scores appear to be 3.9 and 4.0, respectively. Just thought I'd point that out!
Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 12.46.46 AM.png

yeah - thanks, that was preliminary data. I've been updating it with this year's data and only was looking at the schools ranked as t20s before. Sorry for any confusion!

Can anyone please post Step 1 scores for the Top 20 schools please?
with step 1 going pass/fail, this should be irrelevant. I thought they'd all be 240+ but was wrong (Harvard 248, JHU 248, UPenn 247, NYU 239, Stanford 238, Columbia 236, Mayo 240, UCLA 230, UCSF 239, WashU 242, Cornell 240, Duke 241, Washington 227 (not 277 lmao), Pitt 232, Michigan 242, Yale 243, UChicago 244, Northwestern 240, Vandy 247, Mt Sinai 235)

Last edited:
with step 1 going pass/fail, this should be irrelevant. I thought they'd all be 240+ but was wrong (Harvard 248, JHU 248, UPenn 247, NYU 239, Stanford 238, Columbia 236, Mayo 240, UCLA 230, UCSF 239, WashU 242, Cornell 240, Duke 241, Washington 277, Pitt 232, Michigan 242, Yale 243, UChicago 244, Northwestern 240, Vandy 247, Mt Sinai 235)
Wait.. Washington at 277.. that can’t be right.