US News Primary Care Medical School Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AntsMarching44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading this article and was surprised at a couple of different things. First, this ranks LECOM above schools as Yale and Stanford with regards to primary care. Secondly, MSU made the top 20. I apologize for not posting the link directly, but the article is pretty easy to find. I was curious about what other people thought of these ranks

Members don't see this ad.

I was reading this article and was surprised at a couple of different things. First, this ranks LECOM above schools as Yale and Stanford with regards to primary care. Secondly, MSU made the top 20. I apologize for not posting the link directly, but the article is pretty easy to find. I was curious about what other people thought of these ranks

There is not a chance that LECOM is the best primary care school in the country

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...ols/top-medical-schools/primary-care-rankings

Here is the rankings......LECOM isnt anywhere to be seen

Members don't see this ad :)
30% of the ranking is based on the percentage of graduates going into a primary care residency. Considering these are the least competitive, its a pretty garbage metric to evaluate schools by.

Yeah man, go to LECOM, whatever that stands for, over Yale and Stanford. Let me know how that turns out

30% of the ranking is based on the percentage of graduates going into a primary care residency. Considering these are the least competitive, its a pretty garbage metric to evaluate schools by.

I was looking for the criteria they used to rank these schools but I couldn't find it. Where did you find this breakdown?

Yeah man, go to LECOM, whatever that stands for, over Yale and Stanford. Let me know how that turns out

Well...according to whatever criteria USNews used to come up with these rankings if I go into primary care it'll turn out pretty well.

There are several flaws with the primary care rankings. If someone from Yale goes to UCSF for IM and someone from LECOM goes to St. Elsewhere for IM, they are both counted as primary care residencies. What are the chacnes the UCSF IM person will enter primary care? Very, very low. What are the chances someone from St. Elsewhere's IM program will enter primary care? Pretty high.

VR fail. He said LECOM ranks ABOVE Yale/Stanford, not that it was the best.

Uhh this is true, I definitely read his post once and too fast. My bad. Also, I just naturally assumed Yale and Stanford were up at top without actually thinking logically about the fact that they are talking about PRIMARY CARE and not research, specialization's etc