US News Ranking: 100 Best Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuentinT88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all the negativity there seems to be out there about the daily lives of physicians, the ranking from US News is pretty high for 2015, as the #4 best job.

http://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/rankings/the-100-best-jobs

Its nice to step away from the negativity and to realize that while the job is not perfect, relatively speaking, it isn't as doom and gloom as a lot of people make it seem.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't take much stock into these rankings. My personal belief is that the good times are over. It's still a rewarding and challenging career, but not worth it if you are going to be >200k in debt.

Check out this. http://www.worldsalaries.org/generalphysician.shtml You can clearly see that Physicians are clearly overpaid here as compared to other countries. The inefficiancies and wasteful spending in healthcare in the US is the reason why physcians have had such a high salary over the years. If you look back salaries have skyrocketed when you adjust for inflation. I read that physicians used to make about 50k after adjustng for inflation back in the early 1950s (middle income).

Members don't see this ad :)
@ehwhatsupdoc dude is it your goal to be so negative about going into medicine on every thread on sdn lately? If your not interested in pursuing medical school anymore, you probably don't have to be here.

My point is that many people are aware of the downsides of the profession. But as far as it being worth it for everyone, that is relative. In my opinion, you shouldn't let the ideas of future debt deter you from your dream. Nor should you let the fear of the unknown pursuade you.

I think the point of the article is to show that medicine is a good field to go into. Yes, it has its many downsides, but relative to other fields, it is still extremely solid.

Reactions: 1 users
We just barely beat out dental hygienist at #5.

I wouldn't take much stock into these rankings. My personal belief is that the good times are over. It's still a rewarding and challenging career, but not worth it if you are going to be >200k in debt.

$200k is child's pay compared to future earnings of $150k+/year for 30+ years. That's serious money, without back-breaking work, and guaranteed job security.

The American work force has been taking beating after beating. Everything sucks now. The question isn't negativity or positivity. But relative suckage. Physicians are up there on that scale.

Stop wanting the quaintness of fairy tales and negativity won't bother you. If you like the work compared to other work is the only question. US news and world report won't help you answer that for yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
I've learned to never take serious advice from newspapers and yahoo articles.

But anyone who sniffs at paying back 250k while making close to that amount nearly every single year hasn't had real world experience enough to understand the value of a dollar and how difficult they can be to come by in that quantity.

Everyone deals with BS in their job, but not everyone gets compensated, and few get to legitimately help people for a living and work with others who care about people while learning every day (and with relatively good job security). Doctors and other health professionals are doing fine.

Reactions: 2 users