topsurgeon2010

7+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2010
Status
Medical Student
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/research-rankings

major props to Penn for coming in second..hopkins falling to 3...stanford falling out of top 10...Mt. Sinai making a huge jump every year to become top-20 at 18...watch out for mt. sinai its a rising star in the years to come...emory is back at top-20...case western enters top-20..and baylor with a MAJOR fall to be at 24 (it was once top 10)..and Mayo Medical School supposedly goes unranked (they may not have filled out the surveys)

1 - Harvard
2 - UPenn
3 - Hopkins
4 - California SF
4 - WUSTL
6 - Duke
6 - Michigan Ann Arbor
6 - Washington
6 - Yale
10 - Columbia
11 - Stanford
11 - UCLA
13 - Chicago
14 - Pittsburgh
15 - Vanderbilt
16 - Cornell
16 - UCSD
18 - Mount Sinai
18 - Northwestern
20 - Case Western
20 - Emory
20 - UNC Chapel Hill
20 - UTexas Southwestern Medical Center
24 - Baylor
25 - Virginia

Last edited:

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
your powers of observations fail you my friend =)

plauto

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
haha, I didn't think anybody paid any attention to this inaccurate rank....

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, I've noticed now schools are ranked all way down to 89.

Zona Pellucida

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I thought Mayo was considered a really good school... unranked..? Didn't even apply there, just curious.

These 'rankings' don't mean much to me, regardless.

dingyibvs

Psych!
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2007
Florida
Status
Medical Student
I thought Mayo was considered a really good school... unranked..? Didn't even apply there, just curious.

These 'rankings' don't mean much to me, regardless.
only schools that release their data to them get ranked, i think.

"RNP: the school's rank is not published by U.S. News and they are listed alphabetically. Unranked: the school did not supply enough information to U.S. News to calculate a ranking. Schools without a numeric ranking are listed alphabetically with those schools supplying enough information to calculate a ranking coming before those schools that did not."

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It is nice being in the Top Ten, even with the realization that this is all very silly and much ado about nothing. Oh, well, my parents will be proud at commencement next year. Good job, Mom!

alibai3ah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Can anyone explain if there is any significance to the primary care rankings?? Like is that only based on how many kids go into primary care...or something like overall clinical training/strength

jbz24

5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
Can anyone explain if there is any significance to the primary care rankings?? Like is that only based on how many kids go into primary care...or something like overall clinical training/strength
You can look up their methodology. Has nothing to do with clinical training or strength. The research rankings aren't about that either.

Zona Pellucida

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2008
Status
Medical Student
only schools that release their data to them get ranked, i think.

"RNP: the school's rank is not published by U.S. News and they are listed alphabetically. Unranked: the school did not supply enough information to U.S. News to calculate a ranking. Schools without a numeric ranking are listed alphabetically with those schools supplying enough information to calculate a ranking coming before those schools that did not."
Makes sense. Thanks :thumbup:

Caesar

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2007
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I still don't understand why people care about this.

jdido09

5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
This might be a stupid question but why do the UC schools have $0 for in-state tuition?

alibai3ah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
You can look up their methodology. Has nothing to do with clinical training or strength. The research rankings aren't about that either.
O hmm....so the advantage of the going to a highly ranked research school is more research opportunities. What would you say is the advantage of going to a highly ranked primary care school? Sorry the methodology page didn't help with that.

IH8ColdWeath3r

7+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Baylor at 24!!! WTF they used to be like #5. And UTSW...should be in the top 10; UTSW is def. a top notch medical school, with prestigious faculty, tremendous acuity, and arguably one of the best teaching hospital in the nation. Amazing for research too. UTSW does not belong at 20 at all. I also agree that Mt. Sinai is on the rise...also an amazing school and well deserved

jbz24

5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
O hmm....so the advantage of the going to a highly ranked research school is more research opportunities. What would you say is the advantage of going to a highly ranked primary care school? Sorry the methodology page didn't help with that.
That's one advantage and also better research funding usually means more esteemed faculty who train you and can write letters of recommendations for you. There's no real benefit to going to a highly ranked primary care school, even if you are interested in primary care. That's my opinion though.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Baylor at 24!!! WTF they used to be like #5. And UTSW...should be in the top 10; UTSW is def. a top notch medical school, with prestigious faculty, tremendous acuity, and arguably one of the best teaching hospital in the nation. Amazing for research too. UTSW does not belong at 20 at all. I also agree that Mt. Sinai is on the rise...also an amazing school and well deserved
There is a methodology, it's based on numbers. Read about it to figure out how the rankings are determined.

This might be a stupid question but why do the UC schools have $0 for in-state tuition?
Tuition is $0. Fees are ~35k.

chman

5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Pre-Psychology
I still don't understand why people care about this.
:thumbup:

My in state school is always ranked high, but I don't care. These rankings are pretty much fixed, and even if they weren't I still wouldn't care. Bottom line is that you pretty much can't go wrong with any US MD school.

chman

5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Pre-Psychology

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status
Medical Student
:thumbup:

My in state school is always ranked high, but I don't care. These rankings are pretty much fixed, and even if they weren't I still wouldn't care. Bottom line is that you pretty much can't go wrong with any US MD school.
Quoted for truth.

StartingLine3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2004
Visit site
Status
This marks the first time that UT Southwestern has ever out ranked BCM in terms of the US News and Report Rankings.

I bet the administrators in Dallas are smiling (even though this is mostly due to problems at BCM) today

I think this has been something that has been a long time coming.

In terms of research,

While Baylor has strong departments (particularly in human genetics and neuroscience) ...

It cannot compete with UT Southwestern in terms of big name faculty members ... this is exemplified when comparing members in HHMI and National Academy of Sciences at the two institutions

I truly believe UTSW should be ranked higher, but it is what it is.

topsurgeon2010

7+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2010
Status
Medical Student
oh, I understand that they CARE, just can't for the life of me see why this matters.

yeah true..it doesnt matter much for medical schools..but for law schools and business schools the ranking of the school you attend basically determines the rest of your future..thank goodness thats not the case for us because these rankings are extremely subjective...peer assessments are extremely flawed and biased..most people will just give glowing marks to their own schools that they are associated with, their alma mater institution and/or institutions that they are familiar with--there is no way that every single department head that fills out the US News survey can be familiar with every single medical school in the US so most of their answers are based on flawed perception without any knowledge of the school they are grading

now having said all that, whether these rankings are fair or not i must say the rankings do matter to the general public and many pre-meds who are applying..

Last edited:

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A wise man once said,

MilkmanAl said:
I predict the rankings will be just as worthless for anyone not interested in a research career as they always have been. I also predict that pre-meds will continue to quote them as gospel and use them to determine the "best" med school.

drizzt3117

chick magnet
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think that the rankings themselves aren't particularly useful but changes in the rankings can be useful.

Certain parts of the methodology (faculty/student ratio especially) won't change that much. My guess on what changes the most is selectivity, and the peer rankings > pd rankings. I think changes in NIH $ can cause big swings but for the most part it'll be reasonably static except for schools losing/gaining top notch faculty and their grants.

riceman04

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
While it is quite nice to brag about being highly ranked by US News, most residency programs consider residency director ratings.

But interestingly enough, many of those top ranked schools are also rated highly by residency directors....

I wonder if it is factored in to the US News ranking methodology.

Ahhh well...back to studying

Go UCSD (even though we fell 1 spot) :D

jturkel

7+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
this will likely sound dumb at this point, but does anyone know where i can find last yrs online? i keep trying to search it online and i keep getting this brand new edition. i'm curious to see the jump of my state school.....i wasn't sure if it was ranked last yr (IIRC, it was unranked) but not suddenly it IS ranked. just wanted to double check.

Joe Waitlist

10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2009
Status
Medical Student
As a medical student, the only thing I care about is how residency directors rate my school's residency applicants. Does anyone have the numbers on residency director rankings for this year? Thanks

ButImLETired

Prodigal member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 27, 2008
the hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
All those zillion-way ties always bug me. I wish they'd just rank based on total points instead so Duke would be 6th (6th highest point total), Columbia would be 7th (the 7th highest point total), etc. It always seems a little silly to me that you get stuck 5 places lower just cause there are a bunch of schools with the same total.

In other news, counting for the fact that differences between 5-10 spots are negligible...almost nothing happened. And what has happened can't be interpreted. Good ol' UsNews.

Of course, all the SDNers are soapboxing about how useless they are, but I suspect there are some Michigan folk out there that are feeling vindicated, and Penn people that are now thinking about how they overcame a couple of giants, and they're still pretending not to care. Oh and I bet this will affect applications...a LOT.

hanjg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
All those zillion-way ties always bug me. I wish they'd just rank based on total points instead so Duke would be 6th (6th highest point total), Columbia would be 7th (the 7th highest point total), etc. It always seems a little silly to me that you get stuck 5 places lower just cause there are a bunch of schools with the same total.
:confused: Aren't all the schools tied for 6th all at "74" on the "research" rankings (Yale, UW, Michigan, Duke)? Or are you talking about some other numbers?

Last edited:

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
My school is not in the top whatever and I don't really give a damn. Premeds love rankings. In the real world, aside from pursuing research positions, none of your patients care. We had a surgeon from Harvard and one from southern illinois. The SIU guy had better outcomes and was known as the surgeon you'd want to go to. The best radiologist was the NYMC doc and not the Columbia one. Best EM doc was not the Upenn, but the IU. We like to quantitate things because it is easier to organize in our heads. We see that a>b>c>d, but that isn't how it works. I would be miserable at a research big name school. I like that my profs invite us out for cookouts, go out of their way to get you involved in research and then show how to do an IRB (even if they are doing the real one) and I like that my rotations will be just me and the attending (no 4th years, interns, residents ahead of me). My school is ranked low and I don't care because it fits me.

masturhu

MedStart
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
My two cents. Rankings matter a little bit.

However, compared to rankings in law and business school, rankings in medicine matter much much much much much much much much much much less.

The beauty of having a shortage of docs :).

obiwan

10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2006
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
things definitely look good for UTSW in addition to them getting a new county hospital and in the works of getting a new university hospital

Steeler7588

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 8, 2008
Status
Medical Student
:confused: Aren't all the schools tied for 6th all at "74" on the "research" rankings (Yale, UW, Michigan, Duke)? Or are you talking about some other numbers?
She means those all tied at 77 be ranked as 4, the next group tied at 74 ranked as 5, etc. So a school like Columbia isn't ranked 10th but 6th, because it has the 6th highest rating. Of course, that would make the relative ranking of your school harder to gauge, so people couldn't flaunt their e-peen as easily.

hanjg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
She means those all tied at 77 be ranked as 4, the next group tied at 74 ranked as 5, etc. So a school like Columbia isn't ranked 10th but 6th, because it has the 6th highest rating. Of course, that would make the relative ranking of your school harder to gauge, so people couldn't flaunt their e-peen as easily.
Got it.

Coffee. I need more coffee.

Steeler7588

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 8, 2008
Status
Medical Student
The primary care rankings are completely worthless, but one thing I always thought best summed up their uselessness was how much schools' rankings changed between years. One year a school jumped thirty or forty spots.

While the research rankings don't really indicate much either, I usually find them at least a little valuable in having some correlation with the prestige of a medical school. That schools made very slight changes in rankings, if they did at all, helped reinforce this value for me. But this year there's been some pretty significant movement - Michigan's rise, Baylor's fall - and it makes me question if even the prestige factor of the rankings is being lost?