US news rankings for internal medicine : anyone??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2nd group: Penn, Duke, Columbia, Wash U/Michigan, and UW (probably in that order)

I'm not sure that there's a definite pecking order to these programs, and certainly not the first couple. Penn and Duke are neck-to-neck in terms of clinical training, research opportunities, fellowship matches, quality subspecialty departments, and overall reputation. Applicants from the northeast likely favor Penn; same goes for southern applicants and Duke. I'll say that west coasters view both programs in similar light: great residencies in less than ideal locations. Finally, while I'm not from the midwest, a few of my friends at strong midwest schools have pretty much heard the same.

Members don't see this ad.

I see that Cleveland clinic is not on this top tiers list. I was wondering if any of you had any personal experiences or could tell me how the cleveland clinic IM program fairs with these mentioned in this forum.
Thanks!

I see that Cleveland clinic is not on this top tiers list. I was wondering if any of you had any personal experiences or could tell me how the cleveland clinic IM program fairs with these mentioned in this forum.
Thanks!

There is nothing special with CCF residency. When I was an OSU med student back in teh days when CCF and OSU were affiliated, OSU students could do their entire 3rd and 4th years at Cleveland. Several students stayed on as residents at CCF in other fields (ortho, neuro), but NOBODY in medicine did.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, what in particular is concerning to you about the quality of residents at Pitt?

I have nothing against them. Few of my friends had interviewed there last year, and they were not impressed with residents in general( academic prowess mainly). I have no first-hand experience of Pitt and was generally going by what people had told me during my application process then.

But the DOM there seems to be coming up.

My apologies, if I offended you.

I have nothing against them. Few of my friends had interviewed there last year, and they were not impressed with residents in general( academic prowess mainly). I have no first-hand experience of Pitt and was generally going by what people had told me during my application process then.

Doesn't matter if you are offending him or not, you speak the truth. Wouldn't put Pitt anywhere close to the top for internal medicine residency training.

Thanks!

I only have hearsay, but I have heard nothing particularly supportive. Essentially Fellows get great training because they can't rely on the house officers.

Lets face it, all these programs are great. I'd be happy to get into any of them. They all give you a great opportunity for fellowship and offer great training. My question is, given how competitive these places are can average Joes (average step 1, no AOA, some but not WOW research) get accepted at any of the top 20 places if he/she does away rotation there and applies to all of them?

I might have been extremely lucky but i've worked with some pretty brilliant residents here, for the most part (from my experience anyway. I haven't worked with everyone). The unique thing is that there is a lot of collegiality among interns and residents, maybe this is interpreted as "weak" by some. I see it as a strength.

Doesn't matter if you are offending him or not, you speak the truth. Wouldn't put Pitt anywhere close to the top for internal medicine residency training.

Pitt might not be at the "top" but it's a pretty solid rigorous academic program with amazing variety of cases, strong teaching, yet with a friendly and supportive atmosphere.

I only have hearsay, but I have heard nothing particularly supportive. Essentially Fellows get great training because they can't rely on the house officers.

I was just wondering if any of y'all with friends who are fellows at CCF could elaborate on that comment one way or the other.

I might have been extremely lucky but i've worked with some pretty brilliant residents here, for the most part (from my experience anyway. I haven't worked with everyone). The unique thing is that there is a lot of collegiality among interns and residents, maybe this is interpreted as "weak" by some. I see it as a strength.
I have no beef with Pitt, but do people honestly think that the friendly/supportive/collegial/brilliant residents at your home program/a program you did your away at/a program you visited once/a program you've heard of are truely unique? Nothing personal, Chicamedia, and maybe you've actually done a rigorous study of resident collegiality and Pitt is clearly way above all other programs, but in my mind "unique" is either a polite way of saying "screwed up so badly that this can't possibly happen anywhere else" or "I actually have no clue what I'm talking about".

I was just wondering if any of y'all with friends who are fellows at CCF could elaborate on that comment one way or the other.

A friend who is a cardiology fellow there often relates to me their frustrations with some of the residents. However, I don't think that necessarily affects the quality of the fellows' training. They get great training, full stop; and (not because) the residents are nothing special.

Cheers,
-AT.

I have no beef with Pitt, but do people honestly think that the friendly/supportive/collegial/brilliant residents at your home program/a program you did your away at/a program you visited once/a program you've heard of are truely unique? Nothing personal, Chicamedia, and maybe you've actually done a rigorous study of resident collegiality and Pitt is clearly way above all other programs, but in my mind "unique" is either a polite way of saying "screwed up so badly that this can't possibly happen anywhere else" or "I actually have no clue what I'm talking about".

True, point taken. I shouldn't really say "unique" because i haven't worked in too many other places--however you are just arguing an issue of semantics. . .ok so I used not quite the appropriate word there. I do hear about situations friends at some other programs have had to go through though, that i'm thankful neither i (nor my co-interns or residents) have had to deal with here. Sorry to have touched a raw nerve there, GooglieGoo, i didn't mean to put Pitt on a pedestal or anything, just relating my experience.