US News Shockers and Highlights

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoulRFlare

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I happened to run into a copy of the 2005 US news rankings at a local newstand today...Washington U has bumped Hopkins from the #2 position to #3!! some other highlights (from what i remember)
-michigan moved up to 7
-pitt made a big showing by moving up to 15, tying vandy
-my own future school, case, remained at 24, though UAB which was tied with case last year got bumped to 25
oh yeah...OSU got bumped from 37 to 38
those are the biggies I noticed...I didn't look at it long though because I had to get back to teach a guitar lesson

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by SoulRFlare
Well, I happened to run into a copy of the 2005 US news rankings at a local newstand today...Washington U has bumped Hopkins from the #2 position to #3!! some other highlights (from what i remember)

I guess the number whoring is working out well for WUSTL.

:D

jk

USNews needs controversey to sell. and they'll get it if this is the case!

That's crazy....No chance in hell WashU's better than Hopkins reputation-wise.

Members don't see this ad :)
true. Hopkin is better than WashStL...

But then who's the best ***** here...:D

hey now...
we all know that the real reason wash u made #2 is because of the alarm clocks!!

It's funny how OSU supposedly wants to move up the rankings so badly and they actually lost a step. You think all those 3.7/33's are gonna want to attend after this? They had better offer 1000 acceptances at this rate. :laugh:

I'm particularly impressed with Pitt...and even more crushed that they dumped me :(

Originally posted by Alexander99
It's funny how OSU supposedly wants to move up the rankings so badly and they actually lost a step. You think all those 3.7/33's are gonna want to attend after this? They had better offer 1000 acceptances at this rate. :laugh:

well they started this year, maybe it'll reflect in their stats next year? but i agree, it'll be an uphill battle.

Originally posted by exmike
well they started this year, maybe it'll reflect in their stats next year? but i agree, it'll be an uphill battle.

Some ******* are always trying to skate uphill. Heh.

oh yeah...UVA moved up to 25 I believe

-michigan moved up to 7
-my own future school, case, remained at 24, though UAB which was tied with case last year got bumped to 25
those are the biggies I noticed...I didn't look at it long though because I had to get back to teach a guitar lesson

Its kinda like that year Caltech passed Harvard and Princeton in the ugrad rankings.

I think most people still recognize that just as Harvard/Princeton were really better than Caltech overall (regardless of what US News said), most people still agree that Hopkins is better than WashU.

I think the Dean of Admissions at Wash U sent a nice, warm letter to the editor of US News and World Report, inviting his son to apply for admissions, telling him that Wash U has a history of accepting bright and motivated students like his son. The rest is history... the school got bumped and the son got a pre-interview rejection as soon as the list was published.

Before someone flips out, this is just a joke, but there's some truth to what exmike and others are saying.

Also, Wash U's absolutely gotta be better than Hopkins now. I mean, the list says so! And since God writes the list, we've gotta go by what it says. So, now you Hopkins students go hang your heads in shame. If they called me up for an interview today, I'd be like "Baah! Have you read the recent US News and World Report?" I'll be surprised if you can even find a residency placement in the third world after being ranked third as told by the scholarly peer-reviewed tabloid.

Hey, they've gotta change the order around sometime, or they'll be accused of publishing the same data every year!

I guess the reputation scores (Peer + residency director) are the only things that matter anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by CalBeE
I guess the reputation scores (Peer + residency director) are the only things that matter anyway.

Those dont matter either apparently, since the response rate on those is terrible and some have said that many of the top ranked med schools/residency programs don't return the survey.

I wonder if UCLA's rankings will be affected at all due to the scandal. Does that change their reputation at all?

I wonder if UCLA's rankings will be affected at all due to the scandal. Does that change their reputation at all?

If it does, it won't reflect in this year's ranking. 2 years later, perhaps.

if it did, it woudl be too recent to be reflected anyway

*waiting for someone to post the list*

That's right...

First one to post can have his (or her way) with my supermodel ex-girlfriend...now that's hot.

The rankings of the top 5 medical schools are totally bogus. How do you rank Harvard above Hopkins, or WashU above UPenn? It's ridiculous. They're all ultra-prestigious institutions with extremely strong departments across the boards, world famous attendings, awesome facilities, etc. Quite frankly, I don't care if WashU outranked Hopkins this year. In my book, they're both equally outstanding.

-michigan moved up to 7

Ill go bump the old thread, but the movement of wash u up to the second spot is EXACTLY what I predicted to happen for the 2005 rankings. Go me! It's my birfday.

CCW

My friend has pre-ordered the online edition which will be out this Friday. If you can wait, I will be willing to post it. :)

Originally posted by Cooper_Wriston
the movement of wash u up to the second spot is EXACTLY what I predicted

woah, you must be really smart.

Originally posted by DrJ2B
My friend has pre-ordered the online edition which will be out this Friday. If you can wait, I will be willing to post it. :)

we cant wait that long knowing its sitting on some newsstand somewhere. COMONE WE'RE NEUROTIC PREMEDS HERE!

Originally posted by exmike
we cant wait that long knowing its sitting on some newsstand somewhere. COMONE WE'RE NEUROTIC PREMEDS HERE!

:laugh: :laugh:

I just got back from Borders. They had nothing.

Oh well, maybe somebody will find it and post it.

Judd

i'll go buy it tomorrow morning...check here around 10 or so

Originally posted by linus
woah, you must be really smart.

Oh hush ...

Everyone was saying it was gonna drop below hopkins and I guessed it'd bump it so gimme my 15 minutes of "I told ya so"

poonanny.gif

i'll go buy it tomorrow morning...check here around 10 or so

Thanks man. I appreciate it.

Can you post the order of schools and their peer/residency D reputation scores (I know thats a lot to ask .... )

Gosh, I must have something better to do.

:clap: for SoulRFlare! :clap:

Originally posted by Cooper_Wriston
Thanks man. I appreciate it.

Can you post the order of schools and their peer/residency D reputation scores (I know thats a lot to ask .... )

Gosh, I must have something better to do.

:clap: for SoulRFlare! :clap:

yah i want the rep scores.

i must live in the only neighborhood in nyc without a newsstand. otherwise, i'd get it.

Well, not that any of this really matters, but YAY!!! GO PITT!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Btw, anyone notice where Yale was? I'm betting it moved to 10 or even 11?? Poor Yale.... but that's what they get for waitlisting me!!!! <evil laugh> :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

yeah...woohoo go pitt!!

not that i need usnews to reaffirm it's a great school, but still cool beans.

I'm particularly impressed with Pitt...and even more crushed that they dumped me :(

I should have gone to my Pitt interview!

Oh well, I'm getting Hawaii weather and hot bodies on the beach instead.

Since I'll be attending UCSD starting this fall, I predict their rank will move up at least 5 spots in next year's edition. :D

Originally posted by Eraserhead
I should have gone to my Pitt interview!

Oh well, I'm getting Hawaii weather and hot bodies on the beach instead.

Believe me DoctorKev... er, Eraserhead :)D)... I would LOVE to be going to Cali next year. In fact, I think the goal of my med school career will be to land a Cali residency... preferrably in SF :D :D

I hate this cold weather :( :(

Originally posted by quideam
Well, not that any of this really matters, but YAY!!! GO PITT!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Btw, anyone notice where Yale was? I'm betting it moved to 10 or even 11?? Poor Yale.... but that's what they get for waitlisting me!!!! <evil laugh> :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This may be very obvious, but most of the top 20 med schools have affiliation with hospitals selected to be on US News' Honors Roll. Yale is one of the few exceptions, makes me wonder why ;)

any news on P&S? if michigan is 7, P&S must've dropped, cuz there's not much room to squeeze in at the top.

I don't think UCSD is affiliated with any top hospitals is it?

DID UCSD GO UP OR DOWN I HAVE TO KNOW?

Originally posted by linus
any news on P&S? if michigan is 7, P&S must've dropped, cuz there's not much room to squeeze in at the top.

Probably tied with UMich or UCSF.

How can one person on here have the rankings but not another? Is someone busily typing right now?

Is the US News things worth buying for online? If you are going to get the book is it best to buy it from US News directly or going to a nearby borders to get it?

Originally posted by youngin
Is the US News things worth buying for online? If you are going to get the book is it best to buy it from US News directly or going to a nearby borders to get it?

The cool thing about the online version is that it's sortable. That is, you can sort all the rankings by Average GPA for instance if you would like to. Other than that, there are few advantages to getting it online. On top of that, the new version doesn't come out until Friday online while someone has reported it's already out in bookstores today. Go to your local borders or barnes and nobles to buy it...

Originally posted by Gleevec
Its kinda like that year Caltech passed Harvard and Princeton in the ugrad rankings.

I think most people still recognize that just as Harvard/Princeton were really better than Caltech overall (regardless of what US News said), most people still agree that Hopkins is better than WashU.

Its funny how people get so attached to tradition. On what grounds are Harvard and Princetion undergrads better than Cal Tech? I guess MIT doesn't belong with Harvard, Yale and Princeton either.

Wash U is fighting the same battle with Harvard and Hopkins that MIT and Caltech have been fighting with the Ivies for years. Atleast MIT can take solace in the fact that it is the center of gravity in the world of the physical sciences and engineering.

I'm kind of disapointed with Pitt moving up the rankings. :(
I like the school a lot and I am waitlisted there. I fear that with their significant jump that more people will decide to go there because of the higher ranking and leave fewer sports for the waitlisters
:( :( :(

Bah -- top 15 schools (Pitt included) are just different, not really better or worse.

An exception is the case that Hopkins and Harvard are the medical leaders of the country (well I'd say just Hopkins, but that's me). Other than that these rankings don't mean much inside the top 15.

Oh and I got WL by Pitt and I'm a PA resident...grrr!!! oh well, enjoy the school to whomever got in :) It's a fantastic place.

Originally posted by TheRussian
I'm kind of disapointed with Pitt moving up the rankings. :(
I like the school a lot and I am waitlisted there. I fear that with their significant jump that more people will decide to go there because of the higher ranking and leave fewer sports for the waitlisters
:( :( :(

I'm not sure who should feel worse. I CANCELLED an interview with them the week before last.

OK, OK. I'm over it now. But it stings a bit.

Judd

Originally posted by juddson
I'm not sure who should feel worse. I CANCELLED an interview with them the week before last.

OK, OK. I'm over it now. But it stings a bit.

Judd

it even stings for us that got post-sec rejected!

On the other hand, when a school that rejected me gets bumped down, i get excited :D

And of course the two schools I am considering dont really move at all, futher compounding my dilemma.