US NEWS Stats for OHSU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalenakai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been addressed before (damn non-functioning search function), but does anyone have admissions stats/rates for OHSU (Oregon Health & Science University)? Just got an interview invite today, and want to know what to make of it. Particularly, any one with a full subscription to the US News rankings (i.e., dajimmers)? Please.

According to the 2005-6 MSAR...
Number of In-State Out-of-State Total
Applicants 316 2424 2740
Interviewed 178 290 468
New Entrants 55 52 107

Looking for information on Acceptances, and breakdown by IS/OOS, URM, Int'l, Women.

I know I may be an exception because I'm a Hawaii resident interviewing for the MD/MPH combined degree program, but I was curious anyway. I know that OHSU was one of the slower ones to get secondaries out after intial AMCAS screening, but I was totally surprised by the speedy review of my application (C: 9/26) and with the interview decision (I: 10/31), wow. Btw, for anyone else applying to the MD/MPH program, they are only interviewing every Tuesday and Thursday starting December 6 and ending January 19. Not exactly sure about regular MD interviews, though.

Members don't see this ad.

[QUOTE\]Btw, for anyone else applying to the MD/MPH program, they are only interviewing every Tuesday and Thursday starting December 6 and ending January 19. Not exactly sure about regular MD interviews, though. [/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'm hoping to get into the MD/MPH program there too. And I really appreciate the info about interviews, since I've been too chicken to call and ask someone there if we would hear back from them sooner or later than regular MD applicants. Congrats, on the interview! Hopefully I'll be hearing from them soon too.

Applied Interviewed Accepted Enrolled
Total: 2,955 519 209 108
In-state: 342 174 62 46
Out-of-state: 2,613 345 147 62
Women: 1,404 276 129 62
Minorities: 916 148 61 24

Here it is.
Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
IDforMe said:
Thanks! I'm hoping to get into the MD/MPH program there too. And I really appreciate the info about interviews, since I've been too chicken to call and ask someone there if we would hear back from them sooner or later than regular MD applicants. Congrats, on the interview! Hopefully I'll be hearing from them soon too.
I hope so too!

In case you were wondering about the holidays... OHSU is only interviewing MD/MPH applicants on the following dates:

Tuesday & Thursday
12/6 & 12/8
12/13 & 12/15
1/3 & 1/5
1/17 & 1/19

ti89 said:
Applied Interviewed Accepted Enrolled
Total: 2,955 519 209 108
In-state: 342 174 62 46
Out-of-state: 2,613 345 147 62
Women: 1,404 276 129 62
Minorities: 916 148 61 24

Here it is.
Best of luck.
Wow, thanks a bunch, ti89!

kalenakai said:
I hope so too!

In case you were wondering about the holidays... OHSU is only interviewing MD/MPH applicants on the following dates:

Tuesday & Thursday
12/6 & 12/8
12/13 & 12/15
1/3 & 1/5
1/17 & 1/19

Thank you SO much! Do you happen to know if they're still sending out invites for those dates?!? I'm a bit worried (understatement here) that I haven't heard from them yet. Should I call? I was complete around the first half of September... :scared:

Oh, and how did they notify you of their decision to interview? Maybe if they sent it by snail mail, I just haven't gotten it yet... <crossing fingers and holding breath>

IDforMe said:
Thank you SO much! Do you happen to know if they're still sending out invites for those dates?!? I'm a bit worried (understatement here) that I haven't heard from them yet. Should I call? I was complete around the first half of September... :scared:

Oh, and how did they notify you of their decision to interview? Maybe if they sent it by snail mail, I just haven't gotten it yet... <crossing fingers and holding breath>
Perhaps calling would be a good idea. They seem to have a nice staff.

They notify by snail mail, much like the complete postcard. My letter was dated 10/31 and arrived today (11/2) across the Pacific :cool: Let me know when you find out... I'm shooting for the 12/6 or 12/8 slot since I'm flying to the West Coast (LA/USC Keck) for an MD interview on 12/9.

kalenakai said:
Perhaps calling would be a good idea. They seem to have a nice staff.

They notify by snail mail, much like the complete postcard. My letter was dated 10/31 and arrived today (11/2) across the Pacific :cool: Let me know when you find out... I'm shooting for the 12/6 or 12/8 slot since I'm flying to the West Coast (LA/USC Keck) for an MD interview on 12/9.

You have made my night kalenakai! Believe it or not, from my past experience with USPS, it normally takes longer than that for mail from Portland to make it to the midwest. If invites are coming by snail mail, I still have hope!!! I will definitely let you know as soon as I get something from them (hopefully within the next week). I would like to have an interview as soon as possible, so maybe we'll end up there on the same date. If so, I'll PM you. I have a few friends there, and I'll probably end up staying with them to save some $. I might be able to save you some cash on a hotel room if we're there at the same time.

Oh, who am I kidding. If I don't get anything in the mail tomarrow, I'm calling... :) :D

Thanks again!

IDforMe said:
You have made my night kalenakai! Believe it or not, from my past experience with USPS, it normally takes longer than that for mail from Portland to make it to the midwest. If invites are coming by snail mail, I still have hope!!! I will definitely let you know as soon as I get something from them (hopefully within the next week). I would like to have an interview as soon as possible, so maybe we'll end up there on the same date. If so, I'll PM you. I have a few friends there, and I'll probably end up staying with them to save some $. I might be able to save you some cash on a hotel room if we're there at the same time.

Oh, who am I kidding. If I don't get anything in the mail tomarrow, I'm calling... :) :D

Thanks again!

Definitely call. They are the nicest admissions office I have spoken too. Unlike some schools in Cali that shall remain nameless.

gossmer said:
Definitely call. They are the nicest admissions office I have spoken too. Unlike some schools in Cali that shall remain nameless.

yes, i agree! OHSU's admissions office is super nice. I called to try to hurry up my status because I am flying home to Washington (from midwest) to interview at UW, and it'd be great to do both at once. But unfortunately, they do not interview that week (thanksgiving) and it seems like their regular interview days for MD are Tue/Wed/Thurs. Which kind of sucks in terms of scheduling around work, but I guess this way they don't conflict with all the mon/friday schools.
I called on monday and it didn't seem like a decision was made on my file (for an interview), but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed!

edit: OHSU told me that they'd put a note in my file about my travel plans to the NW. how nice! But when I called USC (grr....) also to notify them i'd be in the area and wondered whether a decision could be made soon on my interview invite, the lady was like, "No we cannot do that unless an interview has already been granted." --- UGH! That would be called a "interview reschedule!" DUH!