US News Top 20 Public Schools Released

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZedsDed

You know what really grinds my gears?
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 users
Ayyyyyyyyyy
77002-fonzie-thumbs-up-meme-BHcN.jpeg

My school didn't even make the top 100.....

Obviously this list is fake.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm you sir...

UPenn is a private Ivy League research uni located in University City, Philadelphia.

Penn State is the public school in the state, with campuses everywhere; notably the main UG campus at University Park and the medical school at Hershey.
Penn State is #14 on the list.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As md-2020 said above, you do know UPenn (aka Penn) is private and Ivy League, right?
My bad, in fairness it is University of state

I mean, I've heard of it ofc. I knew it had a good med and b school

Cool graph, - I'm pretty sure they literally just took regular rankings and cut out all the private schools and called it a day, right?

I guess they had to throw some liberal arts schools in there too hmm
Pretty much

did you just make this?o_O
Ya

I was just curious if any patches of mostly public or private would stand out and how linear the correlation would be

You guys missed my hidden joke in it tho

Cool graph, - I'm pretty sure they literally just took regular rankings and cut out all the private schools and called it a day, right?

I guess they had to throw some liberal arts schools in there too hmm

I mean... was there something else involved? It just seemed the public universities were filtered out separately to create a new list. So I'm not sure what am I supposed to be finding here.

Ya

I was just curious if any patches of mostly public or private would stand out and how linear the correlation would be

You guys missed my hidden joke in it tho
You care so much about this ;)

Funny that right before posting it altblue was confusing Penn with Penn State lol
Not aloneeeee

The real question is when USNWR will lose the boner for Princeton and move it outside of the top 5

Funny that right before posting it altblue was confusing Penn with Penn State lol
Not aloneeeee
They're both good schools, so I find it funny when get upset about the confusion

The real question is when USNWR will lose the boner for Princeton and move it outside of the top 5
The real question is whether people will ever stop fixating over ranking

Lol HYP is never going to be outside top 5.
Yeah I also enjoy attending the best school in the country, where I get access to a top notch medical school, business school, law school, oh wait...

When prestige ceases to have any practical implications, so never

Ranking doesn't need to have practical applications. Even if the day comes that it is completely impractical, people will still care.

That's like saying Harvard and BU are both good schools. Yeah, they are, but one is like, one of the best in the world.
I think that goes to hypsm...

I looked it up its ranking, and yes it's better than Penn state and UPenn is an excellent school, but it's not like holy****yougotoharvard.

Realistically it's a safety school for top schools

A safety school with a 9% acceptance rate...

Also Wharton is arguably the best business school in the world, especially for undergrads.

People care about the distinction because Penn State has many...dubious reputations

A safety school with a 9% acceptance rate...

Also Wharton is arguably the best business school in the world, especially for undergrads.

People care about the distinction because Penn State has many...dubious reputations
What's wrong Penn State? It's on the list, not prestigious, sure, but I've heard it's a solid school

I looked it up its ranking, and yes it's better than Penn state and UPenn is an excellent school, but it's not like holy****yougotoharvard.

Ya, it's not a "safety Ivy" (which is kind of a ridiculous term...) lol... getting into basically any Ivy etc means applying to all of them and hoping one+ accepts you.

They're both good schools, so I find it funny when get upset about the confusion
It's got nothing to do with school quality or prestige, just gets old to have people follow up "oh you're in college? where at?" with "how you like Seattle?" every time. It's not like I think clarifying wins me any prestige brownie points, nobody ever heard of it. Most people more impressed by U of W !

Penn is right next to MIT! And come on the likes of Caltech, Duke, U Chicago, Penn, Columbia have world class reputations very worthy of holy****yousmart

What's wrong Penn State? It's on the list, not prestigious, sure, but I've heard it's a solid school
Rep for being more about parties than academics.
So massive+tons of commuters you'll never get a full "college experience"
Meteorical drop in rankings across the board
Jerry sandusky
Jerry sandusky
Jerry sandusky

Oh gosh what is wrong with you guys, are we trying to turn SDN into the next college confidential??

DS went to a holy****usmart school, valedictorian, 2400 sat, and he was disadvantaged

Ya, it's not a "safety Ivy" (which is kind of a ridiculous term...) lol... getting into basically any Ivy etc means applying to all of them and hoping one+ accepts you.
Fair enough

Rep for being more about parties than academics.
So massive+tons of commuters you'll never get a full "college experience"
Meteorical drop in rankings across the board
Jerry sandusky
Jerry sandusky
Jerry sandusky
An undergrads reputation is entirely dependent on it's grad schools, it's undergrad atmosphere plays no role in it (I.e. Penn, Vanderbilt)

An undergrads reputation is entirely dependent on it's grad schools, it's undergrad atmosphere plays no role in it (I.e. Penn, Vanderbilt)
Unless you're Princeton and youre top dog despite having almost no grad programs at all :D

The undergrad competitivity absolutely plays a role in rep...

I always did wonder what the stats were like for HYPSM admits. Are people accepted to one usually accepted to others as well, like they all pull from the same ultra elite pool? Or do people often get in to one of them while getting rejected from most or all other ivies&co? Need moar data

Unless you're Princeton and youre top dog despite having almost no grad programs at all :D

The undergrad competitivity absolutely plays a role in rep...
Doesn't princeton have a couple thousand PhD students?

I always did wonder what the stats were like for HYPSM admits. Are people accepted to one usually accepted to others as well, like they all pull from the same ultra elite pool? Or do people often get in to one of them while getting rejected from most or all other ivies&co? Need moar data
Hit up college confidential bro, you'll orgasm with the amount of stats and data they hit you with

Hit up college confidential bro, you'll orgasm with the amount of stats and data they hit you with
D1 got into Columbia, hope S1 and S2 get in too!

Reactions: 4 users
Doesn't princeton have a couple thousand PhD students?
They have some, idk how many, but no med/biz/law, the big 3.

Grad studies are an afterthought at P'ton

Hmm, not sure if I agree with this.