US News Top 20 Public Schools Released

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Look, there's a Wash U in the Caribbean.
90% USMLE pass rate they say...seems a bit high

can't beat the wonderful experience of our bitter cold winters!
After Scandinavia and a trip into the arctic circle this year is going to feel mild af

Lol, where's your sense of humor? Ask @Ace Khalifa, I'm usually one of the first to congratulate people who have done well at your school.
I don't think you have a low opinion of wustl but you seem to think I'm a prestige *****!

Members don't see this ad.

90% USMLE pass rate they say...seems a bit high

After Scandinavia and a trip into the arctic circle this year is going to feel mild af

I don't think you have a low opinion of wustl but you seem to think I'm a prestige *****!
I don't think you're a prestige ***** at all. You're probably periodically annoyed at Wash U's lack of recognition. But that's understandable considering that Wash U is more rigorous than most of its peer schools. And as I've mentioned in other threads, I hope it begins to distribute grades like Stanford, Dartmouth, Duke, etc.

I don't think you're a prestige ***** at all. You're probably periodically annoyed at Wash U's lack of recognition. But that's understandable considering that Wash U is more rigorous than most of its peer schools. And as I've mentioned in other threads, I hope it begins to distribute grades like Stanford, Dartmouth, Duke, etc.

we call that wannabe ivy syndrome. aka compensating for something.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
we call that wannabe ivy syndrome. aka compensating for something.
I don't follow. What are they trying to compensate for? If you look at efle' post history (in regards to undergrads), you'll see that his focus is on rigor, not necessarily prestige.

yeah idgaf about prestige as much as rigor. Mad respect to the likes of high GPA at Harvey Mudd >> Brown for example.

But spector1 what exactly is your problem? The last thing I need is more ego boosting lol

I can't imagine caring about this.
can't beat the wonderful experience of our bitter cold winters!
Bitter cold.. St. Louis.....

goodone1.gif

I can't imagine caring about this.

Bitter cold.. St. Louis.....

goodone1.gif
Cold winter? in St. Louis? pfffff.

Ice storms and humidity maybe...
lol I meant midwest, not st. louis specifically..

and to people coming from ca/warm area

edit: never understood how colder climate gives bragging rights. "you call that cold? LOL we wear shorts when its 10 degrees."

Last edited:

edit: never understood how colder climate gives bragging rights. "you call that cold? LOL we wear shorts when its 10 degrees."
Makes more sense. I don't intend it as bragging, more of a, huh, that's weird that they consider that cold. It hit 90 here today and people flocked to the beach and complained of the heat. I totally understand that that is weird to a ton of people and that's cool too. That said, I wouldn't call it oppressive heat (though plenty of people here did)!

It's not so much that one place is colder than the other... it's just that St. Louis isn't cold. I took a train from StL to Chicago last February, and it was in the 60s in StL when it was below freezing in Chicago. Snow is rarely ever on the ground in March.

If anything it's the awful heat and humidity that would drive a Californian mad in a place like Missouri. A cotton t-shirt gains about 3x its weight in sweat walking around in July.

Reactions: 2 users
Didn't read entire thread, only past where I was tagged. I have been AWOL due to anatomy studying. I just wanted to say that now that I'm in medical school, I believe it really doesn't matter where you went for undergrad. I study with classmates who I believe are as smart and hard working or more so than I am. They all went to schools that are "ranked" lower than mine, yet as a group, we are all solidly 2nd quartile right now. The point is that it all depends on YOU and how hard YOU want to work to achieve your goals. Undergrad ranking and prestige is not a factor - I don't care where any of my classmates went to school, just as long as they are good team players and push me to become better at studying and learning.

Reactions: 2 users
It's not so much that one place is colder than the other... it's just that St. Louis isn't cold. I took a train from StL to Chicago last February, and it was in the 60s in StL when it was below freezing in Chicago. Snow is rarely ever on the ground in March.

If anything it's the awful heat and humidity that would drive a Californian mad in a place like Missouri. A cotton t-shirt gains about 3x its weight in sweat walking around in July.
No, the cold weather in STL sucks worse. I've only heard my Wash U friends from Cali complain about the cold, the sleet, the ice, the snowstorms; never once did I hear them complain about the heat during the summertime.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely miss snow/winter in general if I end up in ca

My school is in the top 100? :confused:

All of you guys complaining about St. Louis being cold....

c'mon now. What if one day you have to go to...*gasp*...Boston??

All of you guys complaining about St. Louis being cold....

c'mon now. What if one day you have to go to...*gasp*...Boston??
I'll never have to go to Boston for any reason.

HTH did Iowa tie MN??? :laugh: I said we were Top 25, oops :) Top 27 - Go Gophers!

So you won't even consider MGH, BWH, or Children's just b/c of locale?
I want to stay in the south. I won't be applying anywhere north of Philly.

What changed since MD application when you applied to NY schools?
I realized how much the cold sucks during my gap year in STL. Obviously. Also, lower COL in the south compared to big cities in the northeast.