US Permanent resident in foreign med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bennybrak

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get this clear. Is a US permanent resident also considered an IMG? Is it as rigorous as the IMGs or the application will be weighed like a someone from a US medical school. What preparations would you advise i make in order to get into a neurosurgery program?

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to get this clear. Is a US permanent resident also considered an IMG? Is it as rigorous as the IMGs or the application will be weighed like a someone from a US medical school. What preparations would you advise i make in order to get into a neurosurgery program?
I'm still a med student, but I think I can handle your question.

If you go to a foreign school, you ARE an IMG. It doesn't matter if you're American or not. The simple fact that you went to a school in Britain, India, Australia, etc makes you an IMG.

What preparations to get into a neurosurgery program?

1. Get the highest board score possible
  2. Attend a relatively established US medical school
  3. Get good grades through your 1st 2 years (mostly focusing on learning the material), then honor as many of your 3rd and 4th year rotations as possible.
  4. Do research in neurosurgery related fields, get published
  5. Shadow as much as possible with neurosurgeons (To help make sure it's what you want to do, and also to network and get to know people. One question most PDs will try to get out of you when you're interviewing is if you really know what you're getting into.)
  6. Do a few 4th year audition rotations at places that you have a shot at getting in to.
  7. Do be genuinely nice and personable
  8. Network, make connections, get to know certain people, but never be pushy about it.
  9. Don't be an @$$hole.

Most people who think they want to be neurosurgeons change their mind eventually. Are you SURE you want to sacrifice a big chunk of life and deal with some of the lowest of the lows in medicine? (yes there are good sides, I'm just trying to make sure you're being realistic) Are you SURE you're not enamored with the "status" of being a neurosurgeon?

Edit: Looking at your other posts, it looks like you're going to be an IMG. While it IS possible to get into a US NS program as an IMG, it will take a very high board score, a very great interview, a very impressive CV, and a bit of luck as well. There are lots of other threads on the NS forum about the chances of IMGs. Check them out!

Last edited: