US phone numbers that are good outside

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molten

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok. This isn't exactly a residency Q but it somewhat is. I'm done interviewing and want to go back to my country- I've nothing to do here at this point.

In the event of not matching, I will have to SOAP. I don't think they'll bother to call an international phone number even if they do want to consider me. Is there a way I can have a U.S. phone number internationally, so that a person calling me from the U.S. could call as if it were a local (US) number? I asked AT&T and they said something about signing a two-year contract and then adding an international feature. They said no such option was available for prepaid connections.

Is there a solution?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Something like Vonage (phone over the Internet) would work. Possibly google phone.

Something like Vonage (phone over the Internet) would work. Possibly google phone.

Thanks. Looked over Vonage. Looks complicated. For one, they need the phone to be connected to the internet. Says my AT&T number is good and they'd need me to have it active. There's no AT&T in my country so I don't see how that can be active. Other complications too.
Phone services providers in the U.S. have a ball with their restrictions and contracts. I don't know if it's telcom regulation or the lack of it but most other countries have it much better and cheaper.

Any further suggestions welcome.

Google Voice is completely free. You get a US number and unlimited incoming/outgoing which you can use from outside the US. You make and receive calls on your computer (I use the interface on Gmail). The catch is I *think* you need a US number to activate it initially, and you might also need to be within the US for the initial registration (if you're outside and do not get the option, using a US proxy will suffice).

As someone who is also enrolled in the Match and is residing outside the US, I just put my GV number on ERAS. If I'm not on the computer to pick up the call, it goes to voicemail and I can call back later. Hope this helps.

Google Voice is completely free. You get a US number and unlimited incoming/outgoing which you can use from outside the US. You make and receive calls on your computer (I use the interface on Gmail). The catch is I *think* you need a US number to activate it initially, and you might also need to be within the US for the initial registration (if you're outside and do not get the option, using a US proxy will suffice).

As someone who is also enrolled in the Match and is residing outside the US, I just put my GV number on ERAS. If I'm not on the computer to pick up the call, it goes to voicemail and I can call back later. Hope this helps.

Thanks. This sounds fabulous if it'll work. The original US phone number that I entered for vertification, will not be active in my country. So, you're saying folks will still be able to call my Google voice number as if it were a US number?

Thanks. This sounds fabulous if it'll work. The original US phone number that I entered for vertification, will not be active in my country. So, you're saying folks will still be able to call my Google voice number as if it were a US number?

Yes.

The same is true if you got a Skype number.

Yes. You actually put in a number so that your Google number will be forwarded to a "real" phone, but you can just disable the forwarding afterwards and it works forever as long as you use it every so often... 100% free.

Fun tip: if you have a smartphone, the Google Voice app (at least for Android) actually CALLS a number which connects you to wherever you're calling, so it's useless because you will actually use up airtime minutes. There are apps that use wifi instead of the cellular connection for this (I use GrooVe IP). Great for traveling, because you don't need to use roaming or anything like that, just need to find a hotspot.

Yes. You actually put in a number so that your Google number will be forwarded to a "real" phone, but you can just disable the forwarding afterwards and it works forever as long as you use it every so often... 100% free.

Fun tip: if you have a smartphone, the Google Voice app (at least for Android) actually CALLS a number which connects you to wherever you're calling, so it's useless because you will actually use up airtime minutes. There are apps that use wifi instead of the cellular connection for this (I use GrooVe IP). Great for traveling, because you don't need to use roaming or anything like that, just need to find a hotspot.

Thanks very much guys. I finally paid and got a Skype number. The google voice thing was starting to seem great until my account page started literally 'blinking' (going on and off screen) and I was unable to do anything with it. Some error message also flashed in pink. These guys don't seem to have a customer service.

So, I finally got a skype number.

Thanks for your suggestions. Hope to be able to make the google thing work too, at some point.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Magic Jack is another option to investigate. I dont know if it's a long contract or month to month. It's what my family from overseas uses.