US physician becoming physician in France

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frenchie33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I wanted to know the required path of a United States M.D. to become a doctor in europe (particularly France). Specifically, if you are already a practicing physician in the USA (completed residency) what is required to be able to practice medicine in France?

Is it true an already established US physician must still pass the first year of french medical school test, then the 6th year (test?) then still do an "internat"?
If that is the case... do your french test score results determine what type of doctor you can be in france and not the type of doctor you currently are in the USA (and even though you are already specialized)?

Is it any easier to go through the UK first? If so, what are those steps?

If you have EU citizenship with an MD degree from the USA, does it make the process any easier to practice in France?

Overall, how difficult is the process to be able to practice in Europe (FRANCE)?

Thank you so much for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Can you speak French and are you able to certify it?

In a word- yes, it is easier if you already speak English to go through the UK, get licensure there, then go to France, but at that point, you still have the language requirements that must be proven. EU licenses are typically recognized througout the Union, as well as partners, so that could be a way, but absolutely learn French and if you know French already, make it better.

Yes, your US residency will not be recognized and you have to go through it according to the standards of the country you first decide to get licensed in.

Hi! Thank you for your response! Yes I do speak french. I lived in France for 2 and half years (and go back every summer). I still have to work on my accent but I consider myself fluent.

That's my question for France specifically though. I have seen that some forums have said that you need to pass the first year of french medical school first (which includes chemistry, biochem, cytology etc)-the basics. I can't seem to find a website that states the clear requirements. And I have seen people mention going through the UK and didn't know if going through the UK bypasses this first year requirement or it somehow simplifies the requirements.

Do you know any of those things? Or where I can find it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Thank you for your response! Yes I do speak french. I lived in France for 2 and half years (and go back every summer). I still have to work on my accent but I consider myself fluent.

That's my question for France specifically though. I have seen that some forums have said that you need to pass the first year of french medical school first (which includes chemistry, biochem, cytology etc)-the basics. I can't seem to find a website that states the clear requirements. And I have seen people mention going through the UK and didn't know if going through the UK bypasses this first year requirement or it somehow simplifies the requirements.

Do you know any of those things? Or where I can find it.
Considering yourself fluent is different than being able to independently certify it, such as through their testing programs, or another language institute with international standing. Budget that into your timeframe to brush up. Often times, that interferes with scheduling.

I can't state any further about the situation for you. My advice is to contact at least one medical school, such as Grenoble or Paris, then go from there. They will guide you. My partner practiced in France, after licensure in Germany. Her language qualifications were proven in writing, so it was quite easy.

Ok, thank you. I will look into the certification... I figured something like that would be required. As well as look into contacting a school. Hopefully, eventually, someone who has gone through the process can provide some light on the equivalency test and process . Fingers crossed. Thank you again for your reply.

Hi I am a resident physician in Pediatrics and I am trying to find more information on how to get equivalence in France for training. I want to finish my ICU training before planning a move. I am not a French national unfortunately but my significant other is there. I happened to find this thread from almost 10 years ago and thought if you could help me figure out the pathway.