US residency after Canadian Med school with American Green Card

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Violontide

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a slightly weird situation I'm trying to get sorted out and I haven't been able to find any good advice after a lot of research.

I'm a Canadian Citizen engaged to an American Citizen. I'm taking the MCAT this year and plan on going to Med school in 2019. I have little tying me to Canada, and my fiance would like to live in the states, but is willing to stay here while I finish my schooling.

I would prefer to do med school in Canada. If I stay here I'll qualify for funding that will essentially allow me to graduate debt free. I won't get that if I go to school in the states, so I was hoping I could do med school in Canada, then residency in the US. I know you have to do tests to qualify for an American residency while in med school, and I plan on doing that, but, from what I've been reading, you need a visa for residency if you're a Canadian citizen, and the J1 is very limiting while the other is hard to secure.

When I get married next summer, I qualify for a spousal sponsored green card, which will allow me to live and work in the states, but for the next 5 years we'll be living in Canada (fiancee is a grad student doing his masters and PhD during that time). I'm not sure if that will screw up the green card process, but we'll speak to an imigration lawyer to figure that out.

If I do end up with a green card, will that make it easier to get a residency in the states and over ride the visa limitations and hassel?

Thanks in advanced for any info or advice you can offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Given your situation, I would wait to apply for the green card until a few months (about six months) before the match.
If you get the green card now they may revoke it later at the border since you have not shown the intent to " live permanently" in USA. That might make things more difficult later to get the green card again