US residency for fmg...please advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asc2ooo

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I am a recently graduated fmg from india & secured top 100 rank in allindia exam & hence assured of a residency in india.
I want to make a honest request to any fmg,esp. from india to update me with the ground realities of residency in us esp.in surgical/emergency med specialities in usa & what are the chances of getting it even if i get a very good usmle score,i want to be doubly sure as i'll have to sacrifice a secure seat.I'll b grateful for ur help & advice.

Members don't see this ad.

According to AMA-FREIDA (www.ama-assn.org/freida) only about 2% of all Emergency Medicine residents are FMGs, so it would seem that landing one of these spots is difficult.

I have no concrete information for you on the chances of getting a great surgical residency even with outstanding board scores, but I can tell you about someone I knew personally.

When I was still in college I was doing research at an orthopedic hospital in New York and worked with an orthopedic surgeon from India who had received his MD and his orthopedic training in India. He scored 240+ on the Step 1 and was applying to ortho residencies in the US. He was interviewed by some of the smaller, non-academic community programs but eventually failed to match. He got a preliminary spot in a general surgery program at North Shore University/Manhasset, and I believe has since left the program because they didn't offer him a PGY2 spot. He's sorta in limbo now with nowhere to go.

This post isn't meant to discourage you, but I think going for some of the highly competitive residencies may not be the greatest thing to do. What kind of program are you giving up in India? Internal Medicine? General Surgery? Orthopedics?

Tim of New York City.

Dear Tim,
Thanks alot for the info,i'll b glad if u can put me in touch with the indian friend of yours!I still have an option to take any srgical branch in india,pl, let me know about the prospects for further studies after postgrad;both for medical & surgical superspecialities in the USA,esp. from the ground situation level.
Awaiting your advice,
asc2000