US Residency from US medical school (Canadian Citizen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

h9i9j9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was lucky enough to be accepted into a US med school (Jefferson) as a Canadian Citizen. I have heard through older medical students that as a Canadian citizen, its really hard to get an american residency (even if you graduated from an American Medical school). They say that you have VISA issues and the hospital is not always willing to sponsor you for a green card because there is so much paperwork.
I was wondering how true this is? Does anyone have stat on the subject? I am not a bad student, but I don't want to have to kill step 1 to get a mediocre residency.

Thanks!

ps. I'm sorry if you saw this is the Allo forum, I got no replys there, but someone was nice enough to tell me that this is the right place to post this.

Members don't see this ad.

It is more difficult, but unfortunately for you there aren't many stats that furnish info for a visa seeking-amg.

As for whatever is told to you before inregards to the paper work, it is all true, but I don't know how much of an impact it is.

Just to give you a small irrelevant stat: the match rate for visa seeking IMG's is around 40%, and for US-IMGs its 50%+.

No worries. You will get a position if you score decently on step 1. You will not get a GC, unless there is some immigration reform, but you can definitely get Opt + J1/H1B.

Hi,

I was lucky enough to be accepted into a US med school (Jefferson) as a Canadian Citizen. I have heard through older medical students that as a Canadian citizen, its really hard to get an american residency (even if you graduated from an American Medical school). They say that you have VISA issues and the hospital is not always willing to sponsor you for a green card because there is so much paperwork.
I was wondering how true this is? Does anyone have stat on the subject? I am not a bad student, but I don't want to have to kill step 1 to get a mediocre residency.

Thanks!

ps. I'm sorry if you saw this is the Allo forum, I got no replys there, but someone was nice enough to tell me that this is the right place to post this.

Members don't see this ad :)
No worries. You will get a position if you score decently on step 1. You will not get a GC, unless there is some immigration reform, but you can definitely get Opt + J1/H1B.

Surprised you've posted in this forum.

Considering that the OP isn't "American" yet is being furnished with subsidized American medical education.

Ok, sounds good! Thank you everyone for helping! I really appreciate it!!

I think the answers so far in this thread are overly negative.

As a Canadian on an F visa in a US medical school, you will have little problem matching to a residency in the US. Yes, some programs may only offer a J visa (which would require that you return to canada after finishing residency), but many will offer you an H1b after your OPT internship. Even programs that say "no H1b" might make an exception in this case, it's worth asking. Once you have an H1b, then you'll be able to get a green card.

There's no comparing your situation to that of IMG's. You'll be an AMG. Your visa might limit your options somewhat, but there will be plenty of options.

$50k+ tuition seems far from being give away.

If you mean GME in the future, than I believe resident provides service for his $40k salary after income tax (out of which he will also pay more sales taxes).

I can understand difficulties of healthcare planning if significant numbers of physicians would leave after training and can accept some kind of "return of service" to prevent it, but it's hard for me to see here any ethical concerns. (Unlike with the notion, popular in the SOAP thread, that American's right to treat a patient trumps patient's right for the best treatment)

Surprised you've posted in this forum.

Considering that the OP isn't "American" yet is being furnished with subsidized American medical education.