US Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medschooldreamer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
rolleyes.gif
I am a Canadian who would like to apply to a medical school in the US, can anyone tell me where or if I can apply without a greencard?

Also, my grades my 1st and 2nd year grades are low, however, my 3rd and 4th year grades are good. I also have a Masters in Health Administration with an 83% average. I have experience working as a health policy analyst at a medical association and I have volunteer experience working at a women's health clinic. I was also just recently nominated as a provincial board member for the planned parenthood association. Can anyone tell me what they think my chances are for entry into medical school?
confused.gif
I am writing the MCAT in August by the way. Cheers, Medschooldreamer.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you need a greencard if you are from Canada? For some reason I'm thinking you don't.

In terms of application with your experience in health care field, I really don't think yuo will have a problem. But I don't know the logistics of Canadians applying to U.S. schools. If you are considered truly foreign, you may not only have difficulty getting in but also you will have to prepay 4 years of tuition since you will not be eligible for stafford loans or any other assistance.

I would call 5 med schools in U.S. and ask them. In addition study hard for MCATs, if you do well on them and there are no bureakracy crap to slow you down, with your life experience you should be all set.

Question what is you undergrad degree?

Thanks Arti...My undergrad degree is in Cell Biology and Genetics.

Originally posted by Medschooldreamer:
rolleyes.gif
I am a Canadian who would like to apply to a medical school in the US, can anyone tell me where or if I can apply without a greencard?

It is extraordinarily difficult to get a Green Card. I am in the same boat as you, and I think the easiest way is to marry a US citizen (if marriage could ever be considered 'easy' <wink> ).

Check out the "Canuck Medical School Applicant Help Page" at http://www.voicenet.com/~popare/poframes.html

It contains lots of useful advice, a list of which US med schools accept Canadians, and an Inspiring Tale or two.

Bon chance.

Medschooldreamer:

If there is no bureacracy problems, you will be very well off applying to U.S. schools. Having a solid undergrad preparation in sciences and also knowing current health care policy issues (be it Canadian or American) will make you very competitive. During interviews you will probably spend most of your time arguing with hard nosed doctors who think they now a quick way to fix health care in this country. If you can intellegently talk to them about Canadadian approach to health care vs. British or American you will impress them more than most applicants, even those who have had strong research background in Science.

If I were you I would call the Canadian educational loan programs and see whether they would finance US medical education.

Arti

Medschool dreamer:

There is very pertinent answer to all you questions in the Any canadians here topic.
I believe tigertiger wrote a piece how he as a canadian got accepted.

Arti

Thanks Arti,

I actually have all my education and living costs covered by the Portuguese government if I get into a PhD or MD program anywhere in the world (I was raised in Portugal and attained a Citizenship there as well as Canada). This is not a loan, it is a grant intended to create incentives for people to get a higher education. In fact, I don't even have to ever practice in Portugal. So I really don't have any financial barriers.

MedSchoolDreamer:

Wow that is excellent !!!!! What a unique situation. Although it is difficult to get into any MD program in the states I would think that most schools would be very happy with this financial situation and with your background I would start cranking on the AMCAS, a primary application for US medical schools. You can apply with out a green card, but in your primary essay let medical schools know about your financial arrangement, it will put their mind at ease. Even though you have not taked an MCAT yet I would do AMCAS while studying very hard for MCAT. My general advice is that you grades/MCATs only help get your foot into the door. Your essay on the other hand is the most important because it is the thing that sets you apart from all other applicants, and it is the thing that will ultimately lead to an interview offer or acceptance.

Even with your financial situation, it maybe difficult to be considered for acceptance at some medical schools simply because you are neither citizen nor permanent resident. But
I think you stand a very good chance in this process based on your educational and work background.

Good Luck

Arti

Medschooldreamer

Below is a web site where you can get information on the AMCAS application and
order it. You can either download the application directly off the web or call them for a paper copy or a disk. Either one does not really matter. Once you submit this primary application with a hefty fee, it will go to all the medical schools you selected and in return the medical schools will send you secondary applications with another fee requests.
http://www.aamc.org/stuapps/admiss/amcas/start.htm

Arti
P.S. my email is given in my bio so if you like you can email me any other question you have.