US Student Studying Medicine In Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Questionnaire

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently looking at all of my options for applying to medical school.

I have a 3.42 GPA and an MCAT score of 33.

By calculating through the aus standard of last 3 years + 1-2-3 weighting, my GPA is around 3.75 with 3.66 science.

This is low for US MD schools, but relatively strong for the DO program. I was doing some research into the australian medical school programs but i have a question:

If I were to study medicine in AUS, would i have to practice in rural areas for 10 years or is there a way to shorten this duration?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought the moratorium only applied to people who graduated from foreign med schools. I don't think it applies to foreigners who attend Australian medical schools.

Apply for d.o. You will get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
t think the moratorium is for residents who are international. Unless you are a national of australia, marry one or get perm. Residency. there then you have to do the moratorium

The moratorium applies to any individual who, at the time of enrollment in medical school, does not hold Australian or New Zealand permanent residence or citizenship.

3.6/33mcat is good enough for American MD

Assuming you checked all the other boxes (work experience, volunteer, etc...) and apply early and broadly

As already mentioned, apply MD and DO. Your stats are fine to stay in the US.