US Student Wants To Study Medicine In Europe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

campbmic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I was born in the US and have a Bachelors degree in Political Science. During my undergrad I took SOME but not ALL of the science classes which are required before entering into Medical school in the U.S.

I have taken these required classes;
-Biology 2/4 required semesters
-Chemistry 1/4 required semesters
-Physics 0/2 required semesters
-English 2/2 required semesters
-Math 1/1 required semesters

I hoping to have all requirements met by the end of 2012

I've been reading posts on this forum for sometime now and had a few questions.

1) I would prefer to study medicine in Europe and, after graduation, have the opportunity to do my residency and work in either Europe or America. When looking at schools in Europe what type of accreditation do I need to look for to be able to do my residency and work in Europe or America?

2) As far as I have read, most European medical schools are 6 year programs. Some few are 4 your programs. I have 1 more year of classes before I can qualify for a 4 year program in the US or in Europe. I really need a school which teaches in English, so is there a list anywhere of English speaking 4 and 6 year programs? Preferably in Spain or Italy? ( I have found a few in eastern Europe)

Thanks for any and all help! Also, my grandparents are Spanish citizens and the reason I want to study in Europe is because of the cost and because I enjoy the lifestyle there.

-Michael

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Michael,

You may find this post useful:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11850520&postcount=12

As for, Spain, yes, there is an English program, but as tuition fee they demand your organs (expensive!) and because its the first year of that program, I dont think that the US students can find loan in US, since the schools are gaining eligibility for loan by their graduates' USMLE success rate. But I dont know how the things in native program, since the school didnt send any reply for my inquiry e-mail (which is not a good indicator for the quality of the school).

By the way, if you are so determent to have med education in Europe, West European schools are higher quality and very economical (nearly even free!), but you need to know their native language at fluent level. The same goes for Scandinavian schools as well, only I am not sure whether they are equal of West European ones in quality. Out of those options, Irish schools are highly demanded by North American students (but expensive again). There is an Atlantic Bridge thing, which works for those students a lot, but I dont know the details, you need to google.

But all these info comes from various forum members and my personal research, so its better to get them confirmed by the schools directly.

Salut! I am an American student without a bachelor's degree and am very interested in studying medicine in Spain!

1. Which school has the best English Medical program
  2. Is it taught all in English?
  3. What are all the entry requirements for American students or Non EU students?
  4. Are there any scholarships offered to Non EU students?

If you can refer me to the best contact (preferably in English), that would be great,
Nicole