US to Europe

Discussion in 'Europe' started by endodoc, Nov 20, 2005.

1. endodoc

endodoc Endocrinologist (MD, PhD)
    7+ Year Member

I am not sure if anyone will know this. I will be doing a fellowship in endocrinology July 07.

We have thought about moving to Europe (Italy) after my fellowship. I am a US Perm. Resident, although I am from a EU country.

How would one go about working in Italy for example, after US Residency and Fellowship and boards?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. PathOne

PathOne Derminatrix
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There's no formal recognition of residency training between the US & Europe, so it's strictly on a case-by-case basis. Thus, you'd need to contact the Italian medical board. They're likely to demand that you work for a period in an Italian hospital for evaluation of your qualifications.

Personally, I've heard of both cases where US training was fully accepted, and cases where ALL residency training had to be completed anew, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of logic to the process..

Only advantage is, that if you do get specialty certification in an EU-country, that would then be good in all EU-countries.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tlew12778

tlew12778 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Actually, you'd just have to take the state exam to work here. That doesn't mean you'd be working in a hospital though. There are a handful of private clinics that cater to expats who hire foreign docs so long as you can get board certified in Italy. For instance, I used to go to an American dr who never did his residency training in Italy. He's got his own private practice, and is on the albo. Mind you, getting on the albo now is a 3 month ordeal. Not only do you need to take the written test, but you need to do 3 month-long rotations.

This is true for almost everything in Italy ;).

You may find this website to be useful.

4. MSHell

MSHell Deranged User
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This last statement, I believe, is untrue. You have to get your specialty training recognized in individual countries.

Pick one and stay there. Better yet - do your specialty training in the country you intend to practice in.

5. Miklos

Miklos Guest

Resident [Any Field]
    Once you have your specialty certification in an EU country, getting it recognized elsewhere is within reach.

My professors fly to the UK and Germany so that they hold specialty out-patient clinics on a regular basis. This is not unique to Hungary, as plenty of doctors from the new EU countries have either relocated to places like the UK and Germany, or supplement their income by working part-time (as I described above) abroad. Cheap intra-European airfares have helped make this possible.

6. f_w

f_w 1K Member
    5+ Year Member

Within reach, but not automatic.

Within the european union, countries are required to recognize professional qualifications from other EU countries. But this is limited to citizens of EU countries or people married to an EU citizen (the name of the concept is 'EU rights').

So:
    - greek citizen with greek specialty certification can practice his specialty in the UK or france,
    - greek citizen with US specialty certification who got it recognized in the UK (by virtue of a 'CCST') can practice his specialty anywhere in the EU.
    - US citizen married to spanish citizen who got his US training recognized in the UK (by virtue of a 'CCST') can practice his specialty anywhere in the EU.
    - US citizen who got his US training recognized in the UK can only practice in the UK.

So, this is the theory. In practice, individual countries still put up barriers to the practice of physicians from other EU countries. Sweden for example won't recognize a family practice certificate from another EU country unless the FP has done a psychiatry rotation required in SE. Germany for the longest time didn't recognize the 3 year 'general practice' certificate from the UK and so on. These types of non-adherence to the EU directives often get settled in the courts.

7. MSHell

MSHell Deranged User
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That's what I said, your specialty training has to be recognized in each individual country. It is not automatically regonized by the 25 EU countries.