US Trained Cardiologist, Canadian Citizen wanting to move to Ontario

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cardsfellow1234

Reaction score
Hello all

I am in the process of researching how to move from U.S. to Canada so please bear with me

I am a Canadian citizen and a green card holder. I did undergraduate in Canada, medical school in the U.S. and then internal medicine residency in U.S. as well as cardiology fellowship in the U.S.. I am also further trained in heart failure. I have had some changes in my family situation and need to move back to Canada specifically in Ontario to be close to my parents.

Below are my options as I understand it

Option 1: Under Pathway A, I would have to work under a cardiologist's supervision for about 12 months before I would have to undergo assessment and then be granted possibly a temporary license that would have " limited scope of practice". I am not exactly sure what limited scope of practice means and when I asked CPSO about it they were not able to explain it whatsoever. I am assuming because they are not physicians so they not able to shed light on what this means

Option 2: I would have to take MCQE 1, I understand that they did away with part 2. This would qualify me to get LMCC and then I would have to write Royal Canadian examinations for internal medicine as well as Cardiology. I am not sure if I would also have to write an examination for heart failure? However this would lead to an unrestricted licensure which sounds better to me but this option requires me to write it least 3-4 major examination is which ideally I would like to avoid but I am willing to do if having a full licensure is better than having limited scope of practice licensure as I would get with option 1. As I understand, if I pursue this option, I would not have to work under somebody for a year??

My goal is probably going to be to start my own Cardiology practice in Ontario. However I do not want to close the option of working part-time in hospital also and if an unlimited license opens up more career options for me within Cardiology in Canada then I am happy to take all the extra exams. Any recommendations as to which option is better to go with?

I am incredibly confused about this process. Would appreciate any help or guidance. Please feel free also to message me.

Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I know how convoluted this whole process can be but I was at a similar crossroad with returning to practice as an internist in Canada. Ultimately I chose option 2 as it allows for an unrestricted license to practice freely and not be limited to my supervisor's scope of practice. I would also urge you to start applying for the Royal College assessment early so that you can sit for the exams next year if you choose to pursue option 2