US undergrad studying/practicing/living in Europe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

technocrat626

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The more I study the US healthcare model, the more I get disgusted with it. How feasible is it for a US undergrad to attend medical school in Europe, get licensed there, and gain citizenship to practice in that country? I know the education model in the EU is different, with medicine being an undergrad major that takes 6 years to complete, but my research has shown that there are 4 year graduate medical schools in Ireland and Poland. If one were to attend medical school in Ireland and get licensed to practice there, is that license applicable in other EU countries? Could someone with an Irish medical license practice in Sweden, for instance? Any advice from anyone with any insight into the European medical system would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would think receiving your medical degree and training in the US would grant you greater flexibility to practice where you please than any one European nation could. Also, should you decide later to return to the US to practice, have fun repeating residency.

How would you pay for it? I know some of the Irish schools take US federal loans but I'm not sure what the parameters of those loans are (like would you need to move back at the end fo school?). Another concern would be how quickly you could repay them and whether that would be worth the cost. I know many US doctors, especially in primary care fields, do not make bank but I am not sure how well-paid doctors are in other countries. Sorry I don't really have any actual insight but that would be a concern for me. I actually considered applying to the Irish schools because I wanted to live in Europe, but decided the cost was too prohibitive. (I would have returned to the US to practice so I also didn't want the stigma of being an FMG even if the Irish schools are looked upon better than other countries.)