US Undergraduate wanting Psychiatry Degree abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

totojane

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to be a psychiatrist but I do not want to go to medical school in the US. I would like to go to medical school in England, Ireland or Australia but will I be able to practice in US if I receive a degree in the UK? Can I complete medical school abroad, then do my residency and license exam in the US?
Also what do I have to take in order to apply to medical school abroad? Like the MCAT or specific courses

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I want to be a psychiatrist but I do not want to go to medical school in the US. I would like to go to medical school in England, Ireland or Australia but will I be able to practice in US if I receive a degree in the UK? Can I complete medical school abroad, then do my residency and license exam in the US?
Also what do I have to take in order to apply to medical school abroad? Like the MCAT or specific courses

Thank you!

You can complete medical school abroad. However, you will then be classified as an IMG, which makes it harder to get residency back in the U.S. compared to U.S. medical students (especially the more competitive residencies). You would need to try and do some elective rotations in the U.S. and get U.S. letters of recommendation and take the U.S. licensing exams.

Most of the med schools abroad don't have pre-reqs as far as I know. If you are applying as an international to Ireland or Australia you are full fee paying compared to the domestic students (I'm assuming same for UK). They accept the MCAT if you are applying as an international student for the 4 year graduate entry programs.

You can complete medical school abroad. However, you will then be classified as an IMG, which makes it harder to get residency back in the U.S. compared to U.S. medical students (especially the more competitive residencies). You would need to try and do some elective rotations in the U.S. and get U.S. letters of recommendation and take the U.S. licensing exams.

Most of the med schools abroad don't have pre-reqs as far as I know. If you are applying as an international to Ireland or Australia you are full fee paying compared to the domestic students (I'm assuming same for UK). They accept the MCAT if you are applying as an international student for the 4 year graduate entry programs.

But I don't have to take the MCAT? How long is the program compared to the US?

Members don't see this ad :)
But I don't have to take the MCAT? How long is the program compared to the US?

If you don't want to take the MCAT? For Ireland and Australia I believe you could take the GAMSAT also which is their entrance exam for the 4 year grad entry programs (programs for those who already have a bachelor degree, or some college coursework in the case of the 5 year Irish programs).

If you are interested in going to med school right out of high school there are some 6 year programs in Ireland, Australia, and the UK which do not require the MCAT.

I personally wouldn't recommend those 6 year programs if you want to come back to the U.S. to practice because if you aren't able to get a residency, you don't even have a college degree to fall back on (just my thoughts).

OP is an undergrad, so its mostly between the 5 year and 4 year GEM programs. The test you might have to take are the UKCAT, GAMSAT or MCAT for the UK and for Ireland the GAMSAT.

If you are applying to the 5 year programs you'll need the UKCAT or the BMAT.