US universities??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aliendoc

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a canadian student and i'm planning to apply for dentistry in the US.I'm not so familiar with the US so I'm having difficuly deciding which universities I should apply to.I don't want to spend too much money on the application fees if I don't have a chance at certain universities.
My gpa is around 3.50 at this time,i still have another year to go by.Can anybody give me some kind of direction on what I should do and what universities I should consider.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure if canadian students are considered the same as other international students, but if they are, then it is probably best to apply to private schools. Private schools don't really differentiate between international students and non-international students, so you won't be at a disadvantage. State schools generally take mostly state residents, but I know for ex. that U Michigan takes quite a bit of out of state residents. I recommend that you purchase ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools available at this ADEA website: http://www.aads.jhu.edu/publications/admission_requirements.htm
This book will allow you to see how many international students matriculated at each US dental school. It's a very useful book to have, since it has statistics of average GPAs, DAT scores, etc for the entering class of each dental school. You'll be able to determine which schools you'll have a shot at by reading it.

Your GPA is pretty strong, so keep up the good work. Make sure you are taking required classes for dental school. And start preparing for the DAT. It's best to take the DAT before you send in your application. I don't know how the DAT goes in your case. I've heard of canadian DAT scores being accepted at some schools, I think. It's probably easiest if you can take the regular american DAT though, cause then you'll be able to compare your stats mroe effectively.