US vs. UK med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siri

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Does anyone know where I can read (on the web) about UK med programs to compare with US programs? Or, can anyone point out what the differences are...like how many years of pre-med, med, residency, etc. ?
Also, if someone's in UK med school, what's the next step for him/her to take, after graduation, to continue his/her career in US?

Thankie :)

-Siri

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Siri, here is a list that someone posted earlier of
English schools that may accept students from elsewhere. Of course it is also a good idea to check out the schools in Ireland through AtlanticBridge.com. Those programs are 5 years in length or 6 years if you don't have a bachelors.

To practice in the U.S. you will have to pass the USMLE and CSA just like everyone else and you will have to do your residency in the U.S. after getting your degree in England. If you are an American citizen this shouldn't be much more difficult than if you went to school here.

Leicester Warwick Medical School (this program looks fairly well established)
University of Liverpool
Barts & The London
University of Nottingham
University of Oxford
University of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne

Thanks for the reply skypilot:)

A few more questions...

Ok, students in UK AND in US would have to take the same exams to proceed to residency. So, an undergrad in US would have to finish 4 years of bach. and then 4 years of med school and then move on to residency. Then, isn't it longer for med students in US to get to residency than for students in UK b/c of the 5 or 6 years of school that you mentioned (instead of the total 8 years in US)? hmmm so 2 years of less school in UK?

So, will a med student from UK have to take additional classes in US if he wants to practice here? Or, is it sufficient for him to pass those USMLEs and CSAs? i know i know, they are haaaard to pass :p but still...2 years of less school? hmmm...

Also, what's the difference b/w M.D. and M.B.B.S.?

Thanks
-Siri

Members don't see this ad :)
The answer to your question is yes the path to doctor in Europe is slightly shorter. The European system takes kids right out of high school who have passed exams called the "A" levels and puts them through a 6 year curriculum in which they get a MBBS which is a bachelors degree in Medicine but is equivalent to an MD. If you practice in the US you will be an MD. The only thing they miss out on is some of the liberal arts you would receive by getting a bachelors first and an MD later. However you can do something very similar by going for an accelerated program in the US in which you get both your bachelors and your MD in 7 years. Or you could accelerate yourself by taking summer school and getting your bachelors in 3 years. Your residency options might be somewhat more limited by getting your degree in the UK just because you may have not made some of the contacts with US hospitals you need to get a great residency. But your education will be first rate. If you are very young, the added maturity you get from a few more years of schooling may help you to deal with the sick and the dying patients. There are no more classes you will have to take to get licensed in the US. I believe you will have to take a test to verify your command of the English language. This is very hard to believe but I think it is true for all foreign grads. By the way the schools in Ireland actively recruit Americans for their 6 year program through the Atlantic Bridge. Also check out schools in Australia which are very good too.

Finally it is always easier to go to school in the US. You will not have any worries about being prepared for the USMLE, you will not have to take any silly extra tests. I would only go the foreign route if you have an adventurous streak in you and are willing to put up with a few hassles and are not looking for the most competitive residency programs (like dermatology or radiology).

Thankyou skypilot for the verrry informative reply :)

-Siri