USA and UAB applicants--Discussion Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grunermann

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I don't know how many of the rest of you were stressed out because yesterday was a federal holiday, but as much as I want to honor the well-deserved veterans, it was so frustrating. Since we all should be finding out something any day now, I thought I would start this thread so we'll at least have some clue of what's going on.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by grunermann:
•Ok, I don't know how many of the rest of you were stressed out because yesterday was a federal holiday, but as much as I want to honor the well-deserved veterans, it was so frustrating. Since we all should be finding out something any day now, I thought I would start this thread so we'll at least have some clue of what's going on.•••

still nothing here!

When did all you guys interview? My interview was in the middle/end of October, and they said I probably wouldn't hear until sometime in december. Did you guys interview before me, is that why you're all expecting to hear something, or is this just wishful thinking? I'm also thinking there's a slight chance I might hear something before Thanksgiving, but I doubt it. I hope so though.. That would give me something to be thankful for :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It's silent over here. Haven't heard anything from either school. Interviewed at both in October. I guess we'll just have to keep on waiting. I know last year UAB sent out their first set of regular decision acceptance letters over Thanksgiving. We'll just have to wait and see.

At first, Dr. Smith at UAB said that we could hear something around Oct 15, then it was Nov 1st, now it's Thanksgiving. USA is kinda AWOL. Mr. Scott said that we should receive a letter no later than the 5th of November, but I have heard nothing.

I know that I may seem spastic, but I wouldn't mind waiting for SOME letter if they said, "Hey, we'll let ya know in May." But, when you start expecting it, you start feeling rejected when all you get are bills.

I met some great people at my interviews and hope that we'll be starting school together somewhere in Alabama, since I like both schools a lot. They're different, but each has a lot to offer.

Nothing here either. I had a good MCAT and GPA (i.e. good chances) and interviewed on Oct 3rd at USA and Oct 4th at UAB. Glad to hear though that the boat hasn't left without me.

Good luck to you all! I hope some of you (or all) come here with me!!! Purely selfish reasons of course, I will know you before we start, then.

i keep calling uab and i think they may be getting tired of me. but what bothers me is that I got an interview pretty early at south, and got one earlier to george washington, and Have STILL not heard about any interviews at uab. i just keep hoping nothing is missing from my application. well, we'll just wait and see.

Ok, here's the scoop on USA. I just interviewed there this morning (technically yesterday morning), and Mr. Scott said that the first batch of notices will be mailed out either this Friday or next Monday. I'm assuming this means that everyone who interviewed at the same time as or before me will be contacted soon.

Hope this helps. I'm exhausted! What a long drive home. I'm hitting the hay now. Good Luck!

Thanks Swampman. I told you that the interview wouldn't be that bad.

Thanks to you, I won't have to keep holding my postal worker hostage :)

I had heard it would be yesterday or today because Mr. Scott was out of town for the last few weeks on and off, but I guess they pushed it back a few more days for comfort. UAB is supposedly mailing today. Good luck!

Well, I give up on trying to figure this one out. This seems to be one of the greatest mysteries.

grunermann,

Hey! I gave you the most recent info! What more do ya want?!?! ;)

Mr. Scott said the dean will be away until Monday. When he arrives, he will sign acceptance letters and ship them out that day. Mr. Scott will sign all other notices.

Also, don't be freaked out by a thin envelope. I was told that even acceptances come in thin envelopes.

GOOD LUCK! I'm waiting anxiously with you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't mean it like that, Swampman :) I thought that UAB wasn't going to send out letters until after Thanksgiving.

Thanks again for the info and good luck.

South's acceptance letter is one itty bitty thin letter...

Just got the mail. NOTHING!*$%#* Okay, so USA is suppose to mail Monday, but wasn't UAB suppose to have mailed Thursday???? I'm only 50 miles away. Just venting... In protest I'm not even checking the mail tomorrow. Wait that's Sunday. Oh well, protest ends Monday morning.

Yeah, same here, and I'm only a few miles away! But, I'm gonna ease up too and not even think about going to the mailbox tomorrow :p

Bumpin' it up!

This thread should start smokin' soon! Any word yet?!?! Doesn't it feel wierd to know that the verdict is currently on it's way? Why can't these schools email their decisions and send a formal letter? Hopefully we'll hear soon. Good luck everyone!

are letters expected friday or saturday, are they certified?

nothing yet. interviewed at both in early october.
man the waiting is killer.
i heard that they won't mail 'til christmas.
heh, just kidding (though at this point it wouldn't suprise me) :)
mail will probably be slow because of thanksgiving mail traffic.
i was beginning to think i had missed out on this round, but since no one else has heard anything i feel a bit better now :)

It's like Christmas Eve when you're a kid, waiting to find out if you were naughty or nice. I can't stand it!

Did anybody forget to send in your campus selection to UAB-what campus did you select, why?

I, like most people, selected UAB first. But, I listed Tuscaloosa as my second and last choice because the commute isn't far (if i so choose), and it could be a place to get a lot more hands on experience. I just didn't want to move to Huntsville.

I listed UAB as primary, but I could not get a clear answer from the students concerning which location was better

Ok, I just heard from South. I got a letter from the Dean!!!! Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy dance!

Good luck to everyone!!

CONGRATS GRUNERMANN! Man, I can't wait now! All I received was an advertisement from an osteopathic school and an advertisement from a naturopathic school. I hope I get a letter from USA tomorrow!

How far from Mobile are you?

I wonder if they will give us the cutoff and our numerical score (if we don't get an immediate acceptance).

I can't tell you how I'm on cloud nine right now. I've refrained from alcohol so far, but.... :)

I'm in Birmingham, so I figure it took about three days. What's funny is that I have received nothing from UAB.

As far as their releasing your numerical score, you may be able to call and get it, but hopefully, you won't need to know (fingers crossed)

GOOD LUCK!

grunermann, do you live in birmingham, and you haven't received anything from UAB? whats up with that-they were supposed to mail out tuesday

grunermann,

I too received a letter from the dean! I think I understand that cloud 9 feeling you were talking about!!!

Looks like I'm going to have to change my user name to Dr. SwampMan!

Congrats again to you. Maybe we'll meet on the flipside.

Awesome Swampman!! Congrats! Maybe we'll be seeing one another soon.

I'm in at USA :) . I'm excited and relieved. I'm still waiting to hear from UAB though, but at least I know that I'll be in medical school next year!

Congratulations!!!

kenny

barcher,

Yes, it does feel great. Soon, a wierd feeling of disbelief will settle in (at least that is what happened to me).

FOUR MORE YEARS!!! They'll be more fun than this undergrad stuff, though.

USA = Santa Claus, for many of us! How cool!

CONGRATS!!!

does south send you something even if you don't get in? seems like i remember them saying that they send a post card or something that says you've been placed on hold or something? is this right?
congrats to all who got in! how bout that? now its over for you guys!

Congrats barcher. I think we're all still waiting to hear from uab, but there is something to say about knowing:

NO MORE MCAT
NO MORE AMCAS
NO MORE SECONDARIES
NO MORE MONEY TO SPEND

The list goes on, of course, but it's just an awesome feeling. Congrats and good luck to everyone else.

Thanks for the congrats. I hope that those that haven't heard yet will hear soon. Does anyone know with certainty if UAB letters will be out this week? If someone's already mentioned that and I missed it, I'll read more carefully next time.

I heard UAB was mailing out last week from their admissions office but so far no luck -anybody else get lucky?

Yay!!! I am happy for you guys, and if you decide to go to South, I look forward to meeting you! I think I have said it before, but I love it here! Congratulations!!!

i don't think UAB letters are out yet. if they were, surely someone on SDN would have received one, right?

I am looking at my UAB acceptance letter right now. It is postmarked Nov 23rd and the actual letter is dated Nov 11th. Hope this helps, and good luck all.

redherring, did your letter come certified, no one seems to answer this question for me, I am hoping my letter comes tommorow--you must sign for letter right?

Originally posted by smokinjoe:
•redherring, did your letter come certified, no one seems to answer this question for me, I am hoping my letter comes tommorow--you must sign for letter right?•••

No, the letter comes standard mail, no signing for it. Don't worry. If you don't get anything by the end of the week though, send them an e-mail or call.

thanks for answering that question redherring, congrats on your acceptance, by the way, which campus did you pick and why?

Congratulations redherring!! Man, I know you're feeling pretty good right now. Hope to be there with you next year. :)

Didn't put down a preference for a campus but amazingly I got B'ham which is good because I was leaning towards specialties and not primary care

hello, anybody out there?

No one at South has heard anything yet. Patience, patience...

lamyers, when did you interview? when do you think you will hear?

I may have just stepped off the pre-med cliff, but I sent Dr. Smith an e-mail yesterday afternoon. No response yet. I basically just asked him to please verify that that they received my campus selection letter. I also reminded him of when I interviewed (okay, maybe something else about offering to wash his car, clean his gutters, etc. ;) . I was too much of a wimp to come right out and ask him what the deal is. Anyway, I'm anxious to hear anything.

On another note, approximately how many people at South are waiting to hear back from their UAB interview?

I'm still waiting to hear from UAB too. Looks like we may have to wait til December, but I'm not complaining since I know that I'm in at South. Something about knowing that you are at least going to med school takes some stress out of waiting. I know it's more important for you, barcher, since you want to stay close to bham, but at least be happy that you're gonna be a doctor.