USA Downgraded from AAA. Are you protected?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How come googling

Doesn't come up with any useful results?

- pod
That's what I tried - I think it was "human body as fertilizer", and I got nada. Bupkus.

Googling "turn human flesh into compost" gets 62,000 results. Who knew google was that specific?

Forth and fifth results headlined "Is Eating People Wrong?"

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Osama bin Werewolf didn't give us the unsustainable Medicare and Social Security mess or Bush tax cuts. Military spending, high as it is, isn't the biggest anchor around our neck.

This is very true. Any decrease in revenue is a decrease in revenue. The dems increase the deficit by spending and the repubs increase the deficit by cutting revenue. What is the difference.

I am preparing for the worse. I expect things to get a lot worse in this country.

Cambie

Dude have you noticed where I live?

- pod

On the above note...

I'm sure everyone has heard the news (or maybe not) of the specific, credible threat to NY and/or DC (and other cities?) as we approach the 9/11 10th Anniversary.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/US/09/08/terrorism.threat/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/09/us/09threat.html?_r=1&hp

I always think Nukes when these announcements go public. Regardless of what they claim on the news.

D712

Back under 11,000.

Buy hold sell? I'll prolly buy some in the next hour or so. Check out FTK. It should bounce nicely next week if there is a recovery. Strong buy at 5.45. It was 10 and change less than 3 months ago.

Even Gold is down which is a reverse of what it has been doing on down days. Resistance in gold? Perhaps.

Likely not in the long term though.

Last edited:
I know what we are doing is completely unsustainable. :)

Agree. But, as a long time student of financial markets, I don't know what else to do. I am totally convinced that I am optimized. What I need is redundancy, but I don't know where to get it.

What's going on in Greece is fascinating. The thought of them holding a public referendum and maybe outright rejecting the EU's bailout fills me with wonder.

Greek politicians are doing the smart political thing...abdicating responsibility. The Greek people want the benefits of being part of the EU, but don't want to pay the price in austerity. They can't have both for very much longer. Soon they will be forced to make a choice.

What's going on in Greece is fascinating. The thought of them holding a public referendum and maybe outright rejecting the EU's bailout fills me with wonder.

I know that the money trail's are incredibly complex. But, it begs the question as to just who do the Greeks (and other European countries) OWE their money and assets to??

If large French and German banks are overexposed and essentially made some really bad loans to a poor "client" then they should feel the wrath of true capitalism, no?

Am I missing something here? Not unlike our own large banking institutions making terrible deals in the mortgage market (however encouraged they were by various administrations).

I know that the money trail's are incredibly complex. But, it begs the question as to just who do the Greeks (and other European countries) OWE their money and assets to??

If large French and German banks are overexposed and essentially made some really bad loans to a poor "client" then they should feel the wrath of true capitalism, no?

Am I missing something here? Not unlike our own large banking institutions making terrible deals in the mortgage market (however encouraged they were by various administrations).

The Greeks want something for nothing. They want high paying government jobs that they do not show up to perform. They want pensions and they want a high level of social services. I get angry when I see these idiots rioting in the streets and injuring the police with fire bombs. For the Greeks it is not an issue of raising taxes. They simply have refused to pay them for years. They want everything for free. PaPastupadragus should have been forced out a long time ago. The Greeks have reached the end of the road.

My wife and I visited Greece several years ago. We shocked by how rude and dishonest the people that we did business with were. The EU should toss the Greeks out. Their financial problems are structural. What is going to change for those people. This is like lending a relative money. They just keep coming back.

Cambie

The Greeks want something for nothing. They want high paying government jobs that they do not show up to perform. They want pensions and they want a high level of social services. I get angry when I see these idiots rioting in the streets and injuring the police with fire bombs. For the Greeks it is not an issue of raising taxes. They simply have refused to pay them for years. They want everything for free. PaPastupadragus should have been forced out a long time ago. The Greeks have reached the end of the road.

Cambie

Is "Greeks" some form of a nickname that I was unaware of for most Americans? :)