USA or SPAIN?? Advices?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diegokikn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Im a 5th year medschool student in National University of Colombia at Bogotá.

I really dont want to specialize and work as a doctor in my country for several reasons I dont wanna write here since it will get really long, lol

I wanna do my internship (6th year, and the last one of my career here) in either USA or Spain, of course looking forward to start a residency there, and to live there in the future... which one is better??? I would like to hear about some of you americans that have gone to spain, or spaniards that want to go to USA, what are they reasons, which comparison can u do between those countries in "medical terms" ?

The reason I have to go to Spain is because my dream has always been to live in Europe, but I dont really know much about doctors in Spain (Lifestyle, salaries, easyness to be accepted as a foreigner, etc), and to USA, because as far as I know it's the best training, best opportunities and higher salaries... any advices/suggestions or facts?

thank you all

Members don't see this ad.

Moving to Europe Forum...

BTW, if you are in a 6 year program, you cannot do your internship in the US until you have been awarded your final diploma (ie, you cannot spend your 6th year in the US and have it count as internship if you have not graduated from medical school). If the 6th year is a social service year, then you may qualify for a Fifth Pathway.

Hello there Dr.Cox, but I know five students that have done their clinical rotations in the States during the 4th,5th and 6th years? How is this possible? This year, we had one more student who did his rotations for 6 weeks in the 3rd year.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my country, fifth year is the same year as M4 in US system.
Sixth year is what we called "Internship" as we have completed all core clerkships plus some electives by fifth year, 6th year is more like a social service to go through the same core clerkships for some more time
is it still not possible to take my 6th year in the US?

anyway, I still dont understand what is it that u call "Internship" in US system, is the M4 year?

hey there Diegokikn, why aren't you considering the US? Trust me, Europe might seem all that from far away...but once you live here...it's all the same. Nothing special as such. Also the doctors don't really get good salaries but in compensation get certain benefits. Also the opportunities are very limited in that EU citizens are given first preference (and if you want to work there, the specific hospital you're applying too should confirm that they had no other Spanish or EU citizens to apply for that post).

The order of preference is in this manner: 1) Spanish citizens 2) EU citizens (from Western, Central, and Eastern European countries) and finally 3) international medical graduates.

Also do consider that the living expenses are very high in Spain. So if you want to go to Spain,do consider the fact that you might not get the specialty you want, you might not get a job quickly, and you will not get paid good. I would definitely recommend the US (and although the system is hard, once you get in, a lot of opportunities open up)

Moving to Europe Forum...

BTW, if you are in a 6 year program, you cannot do your internship in the US until you have been awarded your final diploma (ie, you cannot spend your 6th year in the US and have it count as internship if you have not graduated from medical school). If the 6th year is a social service year, then you may qualify for a Fifth Pathway.

Do u mean that "I cant have it count as an internship in the US?" why exactly?
Does not matter whether I have already passed the Steps 1 and 2 before going to do my internship there?

What do you mean by a fifth pathway?

Hello there Dr.Cox, but I know five students that have done their clinical rotations in the States during the 4th,5th and 6th years? How is this possible? This year, we had one more student who did his rotations for 6 weeks in the 3rd year.
where are you studying? I might like to be one of those :)

Clerkships/rotations are NOT the same as internship. Internship, in the US, is typically the 1st year of a residency program, i.e after 4th year and after the match. Only after this can you have an unrestricted license (some states have additional requirements).

In Europe, internship is often the 6th year of a medical program, which would have to be repeated in the US, if you choose to practice there.

Diegokikn: I go to Charles University First Faculty of Medicine, Prague. The tuition is a bit expensive (when compare to the virtually free medical schools in Western Europe) but the living expenses aren't all that bad. I think all the Central European schools are on the same level when it comes to tuition (except I think Poland has some very expensive schools).

MSHell: Oh I wasn't quite aware of that. Yes the European system is quite different (as the internship is built into the medical program--in usually the finally year)