USAF Orthopedic Surgery in San Antonio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freezeray

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It would be great if someone in the USAF Ortho residency in San Antonio could write about what the program is like.

Also, as a general rule, DO's don't stand a chance in the allopathic match, but what about the military match, is there a similar amount of discrimination there too or does it not really matter to the Air Force?

Also, does anyone know if most of the slots are given to those who are finishing up their GMO tours or if they are given to graduating seniors?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I guess favoritism or bias would have been a better term so as to avoid the cathect of discrimination. I didn't mean it like that.

Discrimination? How many MD's do you know in osteopathic residency programs? Come back here when you have the answer.

Just because discrimination is present in both contexts doesn't mean that it isn't present because one "cancels out" the other. Nice intellectual laxity there...

The military runs allopathic residency programs. Not sure why some hesitation about osteopathic applicants means they are "discriminating."

Wikipedia in all of its glory said:
Discrimination is the prejudicial treatment of an individual based on their membership in a certain group or category. It involves the actual behaviors towards groups such as excluding or restricting members of one group from opportunities that are available to another group

Whether it's warranted discrimination is the subject of a different discussion. It does exist, and I have seen it exist in the opposing direction seeing as DO residencies do not even accept applications from MD applicants (if they'd seriously be interested, anyway...).

You guys are really going to start an argument about the semantics of "discrimination"? Really?

All I'm asking for is intellectual honesty. DO discrimination as a subject is "nails-on-chalkboard" for me, but if I'm being honest I have seen it and it does exist. Whether it is fair or not can be debated. In my opinion, DO schools typically are a slight cut below in terms of numbers. On the other hand, DOs are fully licensed to the same extent that MDs are, and are present in every specialty in allopathic medical existence. Anyway, as a DO in the USAF I just try to do the best I can with what I've' got. As a PCOM grad, I'd stack many of my classmates against the best that I've met from highly regarded MD schools.

But with respect to the military, I think the line is blurred quite a bit. While the residencies are ACGME accredited, the military claims to be a meritocracy and is based on a point system for residency selection.

Just some thoughts, anyway.

In general, the specialty that I am going into is fairly selective too and is mostly allopathic. That said, if I don't get in I am never going to claim DO discrimination. If I really want a position, I will get the scores and impress the people necessary to earn a spot somewhere. You have to make these things happen for yourself.

In general, the specialty that I am going into is fairly selective too and is mostly allopathic. That said, if I don't get in I am never going to claim DO discrimination. If I really want a position, I will get the scores and impress the people necessary to earn a spot somewhere. You have to make these things happen for yourself.

I like to tell people, if you do well, you will get what you want. Graduating in the top quarter and having top quarter boards will go a long way.